Question about the duration of a planetary transit in your natal chart.

Kittysashimi

I used a birthchart calculator that listed all the planetary transits in my natal chart for the next 3 years. Since it doesn't mention anything else besides the start date, I am trying to figure out how long a transit would be, a day? a month? a year? Is it calculable?

For example, the 3 planetary transits coming up for me are:

Aug/09/2015 Jupiter Trine 12th house

Aug/19/2015 Jupiter Conjunct Venus

Aug/21/2015 Jupiter Trine 4th House

How long would each of these transits normally last? Also, since jupiter trines my 12th house on the 9th but then trines the 4th house on the 21st, would this mean that on the 21st, jupiter will not longer be in my 12th house but on the 4th?

Thank you so much for your time and information!

Minderwiz

I used a birthchart calculator that listed all the planetary transits in my natal chart for the next 3 years. Since it doesn't mention anything else besides the start date, I am trying to figure out how long a transit would be, a day? a month? a year? Is it calculable?

For example, the 3 planetary transits coming up for me are:

Aug/09/2015 Jupiter Trine 12th house

Aug/19/2015 Jupiter Conjunct Venus

Aug/21/2015 Jupiter Trine 4th House

How long would each of these transits normally last? Also, since jupiter trines my 12th house on the 9th but then trines the 4th house on the 21st, would this mean that on the 21st, jupiter will not longer be in my 12th house but on the 4th?

Thank you so much for your time and information!

You have two types of transit there. Firstly the transit of one planet to another - Jupiter conjunct Venus - and secondly two transits to houses.

I'll consider the planetary transit first because it's a little easier. It depends which planet is doing the transiting and from the way that the question is phrased, I'm reading this as Jupiter transiting natal Venus. Jupiter is quite slow, so the transit will take much longer than Venus transiting natal Jupiter.

Again, it depends on what is being quoted here, but I'm reasonably sure that the date quoted is the date when Jupiter is exactly conjuct natal Venus, rather than the day that the transit might be regarded as having started.

As it's a conjunction it's likely that the orb which will be mostly used is 8 degrees before the exact conjunction, plus four or five degrees after. Currently Jupiter is at 27 degrees 53 Leo and on 19 August it will be at 1 degree 46 Virgo. So using this measure, the transit has already begun and will last for a couple of weeks beyond the 19th.

I need to stress that some Astrologers might allow more or less orb for the transit and so the transit in their view would take longer or shorter to complete.

With the house transits, I would think that the likely meaning of 'trine' in this context is a trine to the house cusp. Not all Astrologers would treat this as significant (though I would). Those that do will split into two broad camps, those that take the house cusp only and those that take the whole period when Jupiter is in trine to any degree in those houses.

Using the house cusp only, means that the transit will be completed in a few days. Using the house as a whole means that the transit could take upwards of year or even more, depending on the width of the house. That in turn depends on the house system used.

However the house that Jupiter is actually transiting bodily is the one most affected by Jupiter. One trine does not end when the other begins, so Jupiter can be in trine to two houses (or planets) at the same time.

Kittysashimi

You have two types of transit there. Firstly the transit of one planet to another - Jupiter conjunct Venus - and secondly two transits to houses.

I'll consider the planetary transit first because it's a little easier. It depends which planet is doing the transiting and from the way that the question is phrased, I'm reading this as Jupiter transiting natal Venus. Jupiter is quite slow, so the transit will take much longer than Venus transiting natal Jupiter.

Again, it depends on what is being quoted here, but I'm reasonably sure that the date quoted is the date when Jupiter is exactly conjuct natal Venus, rather than the day that the transit might be regarded as having started.

As it's a conjunction it's likely that the orb which will be mostly used is 8 degrees before the exact conjunction, plus four or five degrees after. Currently Jupiter is at 27 degrees 53 Leo and on 19 August it will be at 1 degree 46 Virgo. So using this measure, the transit has already begun and will last for a couple of weeks beyond the 19th.

I need to stress that some Astrologers might allow more or less orb for the transit and so the transit in their view would take longer or shorter to complete.

With the house transits, I would think that the likely meaning of 'trine' in this context is a trine to the house cusp. Not all Astrologers would treat this as significant (though I would). Those that do will split into two broad camps, those that take the house cusp only and those that take the whole period when Jupiter is in trine to any degree in those houses.

Using the house cusp only, means that the transit will be completed in a few days. Using the house as a whole means that the transit could take upwards of year or even more, depending on the width of the house. That in turn depends on the house system used.

However the house that Jupiter is actually transiting bodily is the one most affected by Jupiter. One trine does not end when the other begins, so Jupiter can be in trine to two houses (or planets) at the same time.

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I definitely learnt a lot.