Rhodochondrite? Is this a thing?

RydreDusks

So I went to a gemshow yesterday and found this very soothing pinkish brownish hued stone carved into an angel. It slipped my mind to ask the seller what kind of stone it was before I brought it home, so I tried to look it up online. The first name that came into my head was "rhodochondrite," though I didn't think that was an actual name for a stone. Funny enough, the only pictures I've been able to find that look similar to what I own has been labeled "rhodochondrite." But I can't find the metaphysical properties of this stone anywhere, which makes me think that perhaps it's miss-named.
I can't upload a picture of my angel due to work restrictions, but I probably will when I get home later. Anyone else heard of rhodochondrite? And if so, do you know the metaphysical properties of it?
Oh, and I've already ruled out rhodonite, rhodochrosite, and rhododendrite.

canid

Sounds like rhodochrosite, not what you said. They often form as stalactites, but not always. They're beautiful! My brother made me earrings out of a sliced stalactite years ago, but they're just too large to actually wear, diameter-wise. Has a lot of cool metaphysical meanings too. 'Someone' here on the forum in NSW just may be getting one of those slices soon in the mail...

ETA: Oops. Just saw where you said you've ruled that out. But after doing some research, I couldn't find any references to rhodochrondite or rhodochondite at all, except for Etsy stuff. Nothing that's listed as a mineral at all. I'm thinking the sellers may be misspelling rhodochrosite.

RydreDusks

I think you may be right, Canid. Thanks for looking into it though! And yes, rhodochrosite is absolutely lovely. I'd love to have a piece of my own someday. :D
After some more research, I think my statue may actually be made from just pink-hued jasper, though the streakiness and slight translucent white under the color doesn't look very jasper-like. Whatever the case, the stone gives off a very high vibration.

celticnoodle

it sounded familiar to me--so I googled rhodochondrite. I found that there are some Etsy sites with a stone called rhodochondrite, as well as a few other personal sites by people who make jewelry with this stone. Its a pretty looking stone--but since I could only find it on sites put up by specific people who may have mixed the spelling up with rhodochrosite. It does look the same after i googled that name too- and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodochrosite

canid

it sounded familiar to me--so I googled rhodochondrite. I found that there are some Etsy sites with a stone called rhodochondrite, as well as a few other personal sites by people who make jewelry with this stone. Its a pretty looking stone--but since I could only find it on sites put up by specific people who may have mixed the spelling up with rhodochrosite. It does look the same after i googled that name too- and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodochrosite

Yup, that's what my rhodochrosite looks like & my brother showed me the actual stalactite he slabbed it from. Mine's not twinned, or trippled, just a single stalactite with those beautiful pink rings.

RydreDusks

The strange thing is, the more I look at this stone, the more I notice it has more brown in it than pink. Rhodochrosite is gorgeous, and very vibrant in color. My stone actually looks more like taupe with a pink hue, and like raw pink adventurine without the sparkle.
It actually looks exactly like this: http://www.roughgemresources.com/Natural-Aventurine-Quartz.html

canid

My slab looks like this-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/usageology/8409298209/

and the stalactite my brother has like this-

http://www.wellarrangedmolecules.com/main/?page=minerals_list&filter=mine&mine_id=187

Remind you of anything heehee? But rhodochrosite comes in all shapes & colors; erosion could have happened & it may not be a perfect stalactite. Could be a stone that's tumbled down riverbeds for millions of years. But if you have a stalactite, you pretty much know what it is. He was the president of the Akron Lapidary Club before he relocated to SC for work. He was depressed; despite all those natural gems in the Appalachians there aren't many lapidary clubs. My SIL was the secretary & I swear, she can spot a dyed stone from across the room. Don't know how she does it. He made me a gorgeous 7+ ct star sapphire, perfect color & in certain light, it's a double star. You can even see the growth rings in it. There's a jewelry/pawn store close by & I once heard the owner telling two patrons how to tell a real ruby; by its color. OMG. I showed her my sapphire pendant & she got all excited, said 'A Lindy!'. She didn't even know that Lindy stars are lab created; real ones are MUCH more expensive. I would buy something there, but I'm gonna use my black light & loupe cause she's just not trustworthy. She's not trying to rip people off, just ignorant. But she owns the damn place!

stonesatiety

RydreDusks: If your stone looks exactly like that, perhaps it is aventurine? Another pinkish stone without the flash of rhodocrosite is rhodonite.

canid: Nice slice!

RydreDusks

I have a chunk of rhodonite, and I absolutely love the contrast of pink and black. I've been a bit of a sucker for any pink stones, but yes. I've worked with my angel statuette a couple times now, and I'm pretty convinced now that it's just a variation of pink aventurine. Regardless, it gives off an appetizing aura of love and compassion, and that's what matters most.
Fantastic pieces! I'm immature, so the second link made me giggle. Beautiful though. I have a stones and crystals class with my coven tonight, and I plan to bring my statuette just to see what my High Priest thinks of it, but that will be the last bit of research or questioning I do.

RydreDusks

Sooo, I think I've finally found out what my stone is. My High Priest told me last week it may be made of soapstone, as soapstone is fairly easy to carve, and is used for a lot of sculptures and such. I hadn't even thought of that! It's an amazing grounding and healing stone, and my angel never really did give off an aventurine energy, which is why I kept searching. Thanks for all your help, you guys! The more I study it, the more it certainly appears to be some type of soapstone or sandstone.