Medicine cards

Melia

So, anyone here have this deck? What do you think of them? how accurate have they been for any readings you've used them for?

I only do one card draws with this, but it's v.g. For $3.50 that was a bargain, but a good purchase too ... it's a nice deck to use. The book is well written. Like Bodhiseed I have the Ted Andrews deck book/deck too. Both books, I think, are a wealth of useful information about the animal world.

SarahMaeDee

I have this deck, and I love it to death. It has given me almost-scarily accurate readings. As an example, I pulled a card (Armadillo) before I went into one of my individual therapy sessions, but didn't read the description until after my therapy session was over. Anyway, what happened was that pretty much everything that I had talked about in therapy was mentioned in the Armadillo card. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would definitely recommend this deck to anyone looking for a good animal oracle, due to its accuracy. I also like how the descriptions of the cards are long and not vague.

Rhoswen

I bought these back when they were new, probably sometime in spring 1989. And I certainly paid more than $3.50 total for the book and the cards; I'd say close to $30 total, even back then. You got a GREAT deal.

Haven't used them in years and years. But for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, I did a horoscope wheel spread for the upcoming year, and used three cards at each position: a tarot card (Magical Forest); a flower oracle card (Angelic Messenger); and a medicine card from this deck.

It was quite a spread! I was pleased both with its appearance and its info.

It felt wonderful to see the medicine cards again. When I first used them years ago, I had no knowledge of, or appreciation for, cartomancy. Now I was appreciating them on newer, deeper levels.

hunter

It was my first deck. I gave it away and then repurchased another set. I have radically trimmed my cards.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu219/hunter734/Tarot/scan0001.jpg

The books that go with the author's Sacred Path's Cards offer more spread ideas.

It's a very gentle and safe deck. A classic that has stood the test of time. Congratulations on getting it for such a great price.

Grizabella

This is the deck/book set that an internet friend of mine sent to me when she learned I have Native American ancestry, and it's what sent me off onto Tarot from there. I didn't use the deck very much because I didn't understand much about divination at that time, plus I didn't like the idea of a deck of cards supposedly being able to choose one's totem animal. I've had my own main animal spirit since before I was even born and I don't at all believe the cards should--or do--pick for a person. This spirit, if you have one, is chosen for you, not by you and certainly not by a deck of cards. That one thing is why I didn't really keep them or continue learning to use them.

Other than that, I guess they're okay. They have a fond place in my heart because they're what spurred me into looking into Tarot, but I no longer have them. I think they were lost in one of my moves. I also had the Sacred Path cards, but they ran off with the Medicine Cards somehow.

Thoughtful

My husband cannot get on with Tarot and purchased the Medicine Animal Cards about 10 years ago. He will not use anything else for his readings, the cards have served him well with in-depth accurate readings.
l also have a friend who struggles with tarot so l bought her the Medicine cards and she is as happy as anything with them.
So l would definitely recommend them as a one off deck or to use alongside tarot.

Madrigal

I realize this thread is a few years old but I have a question for those who use this deck. What do the little bundles that hang from each animal's shield represent? Going through the deck I notice several repeats of each collection of bundles but for different animals. I realize they're totems of some kind--feather, bone, rock etc--but there's no explanation as to why that particular group of totems with that particular animal. Since several of the same grouping are repeated for different animals I'm wondering if they aren't just decorative. There's no mention of anything in the guidebook.

Mi-Shell

I do know the deck creator, Jamie Sams a little - from waaaaaay back and can say, that the card images represent stylized power shield. The items hanging down from them are rather ornamental. There was no "hidden message" in why which card received which group of ornamental pendants. the small bundles are "Medicine Bundles". A small bundle like that may contain Tobacco (Tobacco Bundle) or Kinickinick or Sage and Cedar or a mixture of these and other sacred Herbs, Osha Root, fur from a Guardian Animal, a small bone from same Animal, a "Wotai Stone" or a crystal or turquoise for healing.

Madrigal

I do know the deck creator, Jamie Sams a little - from waaaaaay back and can say, that the card images represent stylized power shield. The items hanging down from them are rather ornamental. There was no "hidden message" in why which card received which group of ornamental pendants. the small bundles are "Medicine Bundles". A small bundle like that may contain Tobacco (Tobacco Bundle) or Kinickinick or Sage and Cedar or a mixture of these and other sacred Herbs, Osha Root, fur from a Guardian Animal, a small bone from same Animal, a "Wotai Stone" or a crystal or turquoise for healing.

Thank you, Mi-Shell. That's helpful to know.