Sybilla/Lenormand

Le Fanu

The numbering of the Sibillas is related to lottery numbering, choosing lottery numbers but I'm not sure how it works (though I know there is an ebook about this just published).

The LWB for the Everyday Sibilla elucidates the playing card references. There is a logical grouping of the cards by theme which I have noted down somewhere, but it's late here and I have to get up early so no time now.

I love the Sibillas. More and more. I wonder how long it will be before we start getting innundated with thematic Sibillas too? There are a few here and there, but the Sibilla still feels like the unloved cartomantic cousin of the Lenormand. It still feels like something you can learn undistracted in a vacuum if you want.

But hurry! It won't last long!

Le Fanu

...by the way, The newly published LoS Egyptian Oracle is actually a Sibilla. I only realised once I had bought it.

nisaba

<deep in thought>

kalliope

The numbering of the Sibillas is related to lottery numbering, choosing lottery numbers but I'm not sure how it works (though I know there is an ebook about this just published).

Yes, I think that most of the numbers on the cards are for the lottery, but I think that some of the decks have additional straight numbering through the suits going on, even though that seems to be the exception rather than the norm. I thought that's what Lady Freya meant when she said that they were indeed numbered in the upper right corners. (For examples of what I'm talking about, check out early Hearts cards on that italian site and you can see that on one of the decks the A:heart: is #1, 2:heart: is #2, etc. The Spades are in the 40s. Sometimes that particular deck isn't shown for a certain card, but when you see it shown the numbers appear to go in order.)

The LWB for the Everyday Sibilla elucidates the playing card references. There is a logical grouping of the cards by theme which I have noted down somewhere, but it's late here and I have to get up early so no time now.

I love the Sibillas. More and more. I wonder how long it will be before we start getting innundated with thematic Sibillas too? There are a few here and there, but the Sibilla still feels like the unloved cartomantic cousin of the Lenormand. It still feels like something you can learn undistracted in a vacuum if you want.

But hurry! It won't last long!

I have the Every Day Oracle on its way to me, so I'll be sure to read the LWB. I'd love to read more about the thematic grouping, other than noting that the spades are mostly negative, the hearts positive & love-oriented, etc.

I love the Sibillas, too. And the Gypsy Cards and the Art Deco cards. They do seem like the unloved cousins. They're refreshingly straightforward in a different way than the Lenormand, which still requires cypher translation. These decks are kind of a neat mix of card combining, recognizable scenes, and strong keyword themes, which I like. I was at a friend's this past weekend and she and her husband unexpectedly asked me to bring some tarot decks. I went overboard and brought along many, including some Sibillas, the Gypsy cards, and some Lenormands. My friend loved the Gypsy cards best because unlike the tarot, which she thinks is complicated and requires study, or the Lenormands, which are even more mystifying to her, those cards had titles and topics (in English no less) that she could identify with immediately, like Love, Money, or Jealousy. If you know the translations of the Sibillas, they're the same way.

There is something wonderful about the lack of popularity or info about them, isn't there? One could do what you've so amusingly said: lock yourself in a room and get to know the cards in a vacuum, emerging as a functional reader (although minus the teacher probably.)

Ah, yes, I'm sure you're right that after people wear themselves out on Lenormand we can probably expect an explosion of thematic Sibillas. I had no idea about the Egyptian Oracle, either! Huh.

...sounds like it's already started! :bugeyed:

ETA: Forgot to mention that I found and attached that sheet I'd posted once w/ the translated words for the i Misteri della Sibilla deck.

Attachments

• iMisteri_keywords.pdf
    61 KB · Views: 240

conurelover

Thank you for posting that file!

The LWB in my Sibilla Adivino (LoS Sibilla Oracle) was short. It contained a basic daily Sibilla spread. Nothing on groupings. My deck is numbered 1 to 52.

I am disappointed that we still do not have any youtube help in English for these cards that are not advertisements. I am attempting to give my rusty Italian a whirl. The facebook study groups for the Sibilla are also Italian.

I have only used this deck once and keep going back to Lenormand.

If study group forms on the Sibilla I would be in.

Lady Freya

Th trouble with the keywords is that they are of recent origin and don't reflect, sometimes, the original intent of the cards.... that is why I find it difficult to understand how someone can "emerge" as a "functional" reader without a competent teacher

conurelover

I don't know how unless we travel to Europe and find such a person. I don't know anyone in my little part of the world that reads with them.

I may ask the lady that runs the Lenormand study group I am in if she can point me somewhere.

Lady Freya

The lady who runs the school of Italian Cartomancy is such a person, if I may say.... her book is what has prompted me to take this deck seriously and I have applied for her study group

kalliope

Thank you for posting that file!

The LWB in my Sibilla Adivino (LoS Sibilla Oracle) was short. It contained a basic daily Sibilla spread. Nothing on groupings. My deck is numbered 1 to 52.

I am disappointed that we still do not have any youtube help in English for these cards that are not advertisements. I am attempting to give my rusty Italian a whirl. The facebook study groups for the Sibilla are also Italian.

You're welcome! Although remember those keywords won't apply to your Sibilla Adivino by LoS (this one, correct?) That's in the French Parlour Sibyl style that has different card titles from the Italian decks, as I showed in my photos a few posts back, and that you can read about in that blog post to which I linked. Just FYI! And I hear you about the marketing videos vs. teaching videos currently available in English.

Th trouble with the keywords is that they are of recent origin and don't reflect, sometimes, the original intent of the cards.... that is why I find it difficult to understand how someone can "emerge" as a "functional" reader without a competent teacher

Technically, I think one could come up with a functional and accurate reading method of one's own for any deck, if one practiced enough and trained one's brain to know the cards in one set way. Of course it might not be a traditional method, though, if done in a vacuum! I was mostly making a comment about how we can get distracted by lots competing methods and teachers when things become popular, and spend more time floundering than just building skills, that's all.

As for the keywords, the primary ones that appear on most Sibillas are at least from 1890, when this lovely deck was first printed: Sibilla Originale (see more scans here). That doesn't seem horribly recent to me, at least not in a relative sense. Plenty old and traditional enough for my own purposes, anyway. :) Although of course I'd be interested in learning about what others, such as that Italian author, view as the true original meanings of the cards if they believe they conflict with the common card titles of most of the decks.

conurelover

You're welcome! Although remember those keywords won't apply to your Sibilla Adivino by LoS (this one, correct?) That's in the French Parlour Sibyl style that has different card titles from the Italian decks, as I showed in my photos a few posts back, and that you can read about in that blog post to which I linked. Just FYI! And I hear you about the marketing videos vs. teaching videos currently available in English.

Technically, I think one could come up with a functional and accurate reading method of one's own for any deck, if one practiced enough and trained one's brain to know the cards in one set way. Of course it might not be a traditional method, though, if done in a vacuum! I was mostly making a comment about how we can get distracted by lots competing methods and teachers when things become popular, and spend more time floundering than just building skills, that's all.

As for the keywords, the primary ones that appear on most Sibillas are at least from 1890, when this lovely deck was first printed: Sibilla Originale (see more scans here). That doesn't seem horribly recent to me, at least not in a relative sense. Plenty old and traditional enough for my own purposes, anyway. :) Although of course I'd be interested in learning about what others, such as that Italian author, view as the true original meanings of the cards if they believe they conflict with the common card titles of most of the decks.

The Sibilla Originale is the Sibilla deck I was just ogling over on Pinterest. I wish that was for sale somewhere.

Oh and thanks for the tip about the Fench Parlor style. I will have to compare that to mine to make sure huh.