Animal-Based Oracle Decks?

Madrigal

I'm looking for an animal-based oracle deck to work with. I have the Druid Plant and Animal deck and I have Winged Enchantment and Bird Cards and I have a few animal-based Tarot decks as well but I'm looking for something else.

Messages from your Animal Spirit Guides is not bad, I like the artwork and range of animals, but I really don't like the phrasing of the messages. Secret Language of Animals deck is quite nice. I like the artwork and the messages but the animals all seem dramatic, lions, rhinos, condors, eagles. I'd like to see more basic animals included, sparrows and foxes etc.

I've scanned through all the others listed on AT and either the artwork doesn't do it for me or the animals are specific to one area of the world which feels limiting.

So, any suggestions given all my conditions lol?

rachelcat

How about Creature Teacher? It might be aimed at kids, but I get and like the simple affirmations. And the cards are round! It has a good assortment of animals, some "everyday," like foxes and horses.

Or Magical Menagerie? It has many of the same animals as the Druid Animal Oracle, plus mythical ones. It has a rather complicated elemental organization, but you can ignore that and just go by the animals themselves. I quite like the woodblock print style artwork.

Speaking of mythical animals, I just ordered Mythical Creatures Oracle. I'm not completely enamored with the artwork from what I can see, but I like animal decks, and I'd like to compare it to the Menagerie, so I'm giving it a try.

I also have a little oracle (small cards in a charming little bag) called Animal Elements Oracle Cards that I think I got on Etsy. I'll take some pics if you like, and try to track down how to get it . . .

Madrigal

Thanks, rachelcat. I had looked at those previously and while there's much to commend them they're not quite what I'm looking for. I appreciate your input though. I'm thinking that probably my Druid deck comes closest to what I want.

2dogs

What about animal playing cards? Some publishers make a range e.g. wild animals, reptiles, birds of prey, so you could probably combine the cards you want into your own Oracle deck. And playing cards are cheap ;).

Madrigal

What about animal playing cards? Some publishers make a range e.g. wild animals, reptiles, birds of prey, so you could probably combine the cards you want into your own Oracle deck. And playing cards are cheap ;).

That's an interesting idea. I do have several animal-based playing card decks.

Scott Alexander King's Animal Dreaming series came to mind: http://animaldreaming.com/product-category/oracle-tarot/

I've gone back and forth with both this one and his World Animal Deaming deck.

Madrigal

I'd forgotten all about these cards by Sandra Kunz which I'd bookmarked months ago. You need to scroll down to see samples. The artwork is really lovely and I like the titles she's given the animals. I just wish I could see a sample of the LWB.

daenys

That's an interesting idea. I do have several animal-based playing card decks.

I've gone back and forth with both this one and his World Animal Deaming deck.

There's a sample of the World Dreaming lwb on the publisher's website. I'm not sure about the original Dreaming, but I'm sure you can turn up all the cards on Google.

...actually, here you go: serenitiesblessings.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/animal-dreaming-oracle-cards.html

(blog not mine)

I'd forgotten all about these cards by Sandra Kunz which I'd bookmarked months ago. You need to scroll down to see samples. The artwork is really lovely and I like the titles she's given the animals. I just wish I could see a sample of the LWB.

That's just gorgeous.

rachelcat

Yes, they are lovely (and tempting!). I see a payday deck in my future!

nrg4vr

I highly recommend "The Messenger Cards" by Sandra Kunz! The booklet that comes with it is excellent IMHO. She did both the artwork for the deck and the text for the LWB, which I always find really helps me to connect with a deck.