Turning tarot into Oracle?

deb13b

I have no idea if this is the right forum so I will totally understand if it gets moved!
How would I go about turning a 78 card tarot deck into an Oracle deck? The one I'm thinking of is the wildwood tarot. Absolutely love some of the cards. Absolutely LOATHE some of them. Had the deck since it came out and have tried to *gel* with it but the cards I don't like just irritate me.
I'm sure I've read on here that someone turned a tarot into an Oracle deck. How would I even start? Apart from picking out the ones I hate lol!

zannamarie

All tarot decks are oracles. Tarot is just a specialized subset of oracles.

What you have is already an oracle. It sounds like you just want to change the type of oracle it is. Go ahead and remove the cards you don't like and then see how the remaining set "feels" to you when you read with it. Just experiment and see what works for you. :)

AJ

you can also trim off the borders which further distances it from tarot. That is where I'd start.

Trimming is fun and looking at every card from all four sides is another way to open yourself up to what a deck has to offer.
And throw away the book, to further the freedom of the new oracle.

danieljuk

Zanna is right about everything we use with cards that is divinatory is an oracle. However Tarot has special rules of oracles, it has to have 78 cards, 4 suits and 22 Major Arcana. Oracles can have this or any type of system!

If you are not happy with the Wildwood and want to make it more of an "oracle", I think you want to break the Tarot structure of the deck. I think it's possible with the Wildwood because it has a different system to many tarot decks (see also decks like Osho Zen, their structure is far from "traditional").

I think I would take out the cards I really hate or dislike, I would then ignore the structure of the deck, so every card becomes equal and you no longer have suits or major arcana. I would try and work out a theme or keyword for every card. This means when you read with it, it stops being say "3 of Cups" but becomes the keyword or phrase, Wildwood actually has that for each card in the book already!

See how it reads like that but I think it will be hard to break the structure! let us know how you get on using it like that Deb