Doreen Virtue - positive or just too fluffy?

rcb30872

They may seem to be a bit fluffy, but they are not really that fluffy. There are times when I have done a reading for another or even myself, and there definitely was a kick in the butt, or a bit of a wake up call there. I guess it is all in the way that you interpret it, it usually takes me a bit to get used to the actual cards themselves, and I still rely on the book to give me a bit of a hint what it is all about.

I agree with Rhiamon, it helps you in how to correct a situation, or your life, if you allow it to. I for myself prefer the Magical Mermaids and Dolphins and Messages From Your Angels, don't get along too well with Goddess Guidance. The other two, I like to use them but still prefer the two already mentioned, Healing with Fairies and Archangel Oracle Cards.

But, I must say they do seem to be a bit repetitious, there are times when I might be doing a reading for someone using one deck, and find myself reverting back to a similar card in another deck!!

:love:

Bec

TemperanceAngel

Bec I was thinking the same thing about them not always being fluffy. A "fluffy" image can sometimes mean otherwise. Maybe some people don't need to see a "dark" image to represent something challenging to them (I say challenging as I don't like to use the word n******e.)

Edited to add: I don't know if I was being clear there? Some Tarot images can look dark and frightening at times to people.

Couldn't Surrender and Release (from the Healing with the Angels Deck), be similar to The Tower?

Do we always need to see such a dramatic image? Generally (and there are always exceptions to the rule) my clients understand what has/is being chaotic in their life. Or what they need to surrender and release.

rcb30872

Thanks TemperanceAngel

That has helped to make more sense, after revisiting this after a few days. You are absolutely right, there are some of the cards in these decks, and their meanings that do very much so reflect cards in the tarot that have a lot less pleasant image to it!

The Doreen Virtue decks are good in that respect, you can get a pretty sombre message with such a card that seems "fluffy" on the outside! I like that it does that, it seems to be the complete opposite, where you can get a sombre card from tarot, and when people see that, they immediately go "oh no", but the reality of it, it does not have to be like that at all, The Tower is one very excellent example of this, as is Death, and to a certain degree Three of Swords.

To the question, positive of just too fluffy? Then my answer would be positive!

:love:

Bec

Tarotphelia

faunabay said:
DI : I'm striving to get to a place (in myself) where there is no judgement, no higher or lower - just decernment (I know I spelled that wrong).

Perhaps a similar place to how I feel about reversed/negatively perceived cards?:love:

faunabay

Dark Inquisitor said:
Perhaps a similar place to how I feel about reversed/negatively perceived cards?:love:

ROFL VERY good point!!! :*

euripides

An old thread but a good one. I've been thinking about getting a Doreen Virtue deck. I'm not sure yet, but definitely looking for something positive.

A poster mentioned getting lots of positives when she really needed a negative or dose of reality - I think that's probably to do with -how- the deck is used.

I have a lot of decks, and each has its own personality and purpose, I find. Some, like the Rohrig, are big emotional decks and everything is a Matter of Life or Death, it's all about Life and the Soul and .. you know, you don't want to use it if you just are trying to decide what to do that afternoon.

While the Housewives, which is accurate but also has a very dry sarcastic wit, is a great deck for those little domsestic things or even biggish things that you can tackle with a light spirit, really isn't so good if you're after soul guidance....

For me the Virtue decks are unlikely to be 'question and answer' type decks, or asking even about third parties, but more like 'what spirit or attitude do I need to bring to this?' or 'how can I deal with this obstacle' ... that kind of stuff.

People are generally 'anti' anything light or decorative. As an artist with traditional art training, I notice a really strong bias in the art world to anything pretty - it has to be angst-ridden or it isn't art. My view is, there's enough ugly in the world. A bit of pretty is just fine! And positive emotions are just as worthy of expression as dark ones!

WaterSong

euripides said:
People are generally 'anti' anything light or decorative. As an artist with traditional art training, I notice a really strong bias in the art world to anything pretty - it has to be angst-ridden or it isn't art. My view is, there's enough ugly in the world. A bit of pretty is just fine! And positive emotions are just as worthy of expression as dark ones!

you could not have said this any better , thank you.

NikkiB

very interesting thread!

I went through a period where I really thought the DV decks were far toooooo fluffy but recently I've pulled a few cards for a few different situations and was quite surprised how really really apt they were and very useful. I got some very good advice from them and some reasurance on a specific concern in which the card was also specific to my situation.

I do feel there are some negative (not sure this is the right word exactly but you know what i mean) ones in there but just that they are fluffed up, I can see put the fluffyness to the actual message so I dont feel overwhelmed by the positivity.

Some I like better than others, I quite like the mermaids and dolphins ones and archangel michael ones, and will sometimes use them in addition to tarot as a couple at the end. I'm fairly selective on what I use them for but when I do use them i find them useful....

autumn star

NikkiB said:
very interesting thread!

I went through a period where I really thought the DV decks were far toooooo fluffy but recently I've pulled a few cards for a few different situations and was quite surprised how really really apt they were and very useful. I got some very good advice from them and some reasurance on a specific concern in which the card was also specific to my situation.

I was the same - when I first started out with oracles I thought that I would never get a Doreen Virtue deck. My sister had the dolphin & mermaid deck and is a big fan she would let me draw cards from her decks and I always found them really helpful. I now have the Angel Therapy deck - which I love - good messages and lovely artwork.

On Doreen's channel 4angeltherapy on youtube here:http://www.youtube.com/user/4AngelTherapy she does weekly oracle readings using her decks and from watching those it attracted me to them more too. I am going through a phase of using oracles more than tarot - especially if I need to read for myself. Physically, they are attractive decks and good quality too :)

Someone mentioned that her decks are a little repetitive which I would have to agree with. This is why I would only buy certain decks of her's - I think some of them overlap each other (she does have about 12 decks out now which is alot).

MantraTarot

i agree her decks are fluffy, but when you're asking for advice from your angels, i would rather see a card/image saying, "manifestation" rather than, "you're going to be going through a horrible time for the next 3 weeks". sometimes you just need some hope and faith to hold on to, even if it is a tad too fluffy at times.