Victorian Flower Oracle

.traveller.

Has anyone been using theirs lately? Since Spring is here and the weather is getting warmer, I am in the mood for flowers. After consulting the oracle on an entirely unrelated issue, I have been inspired to plant nasturtiums and four o'clocks. I'm also wondering where I can buy a camellia online.

I was thinking about how nasturtiums do not transplant well and must be direct sown. I remembered that one has to nick the seed coat before planting too or else the failure rate increases. Then I considered how this knowledge really adds to my ability to interpret the nasturtium card in a reading, a knowledge of gardening greatly enhances the accessibility of the oracle. Like knowing how nasturtiums thrive in poor soil, if the soil is too rich then you won't get many blooms... any other closet gardeners out there?

HearthCricket

I think you are definitely picking up the right deck at the right time! I seem to choose decks according to the seasons, as well, and your post will urge me to pull my copy out and start working with it. Madame Endora is just a bit too dark for me, right now! I love the way the Victorian Flower is lovely, but honest and straight to the point.

I agree. Any deck that I work with, be it fairies, flowers or whatever the theme, I find myself emersing myself in literature to learn more about the topic and it definitely enhances my readings. We have deer, here, who love to munch on everything floral, so we have to be picky about what we plant. Daffodils, thistle, hyacinths are safe. So is coneflower, herbs, and a few others. Maybe looking over the flowers in the oracle will help me add a few more to my garden and in exchange, watching them grow, how they react to certain weather, studying them, seeing which attracts hummers or butterflies, etc., will aid me in my readings! Best of luck in your gardening projects!

.traveller.

I remember being told by a career nurseryman that squirrels don't eat hyacinth bulbs. He was adamant about it, been in the business for over 50 years and came from a long line of gardeners. Needless to say, he was shocked by the photo I brought in of a squirrel munching on one of my hyacinth bulbs. I just noticed that there are no hyacinths in this deck, not that I miss them much... their perfume is too strong.
I have to say that my current favorite card is the Dahlia. It makes me a bit sad though because I used to have some gorgeous specimens, until my rabbit ate them. Still have the rabbit but the Dahlias are long gone, I wonder why this flower is assigned the keyword Choice?

Coneflowers are lovely for attracting butterflies, and finches love the seeds. Unfortunately, I am the only member of our household who likes them, so whenever I plant them they get "mistakenly" dug up. They tried the same thing with the irises but the irises had the last laugh. Looks like Iris Nation out there. Speaking of which, I am amazed that there are no irises in this deck.

Astrae

I absolutely adore my Victorian Flower Oracle!

I find that especially with spring finally here, I enjoy working with my oracle outdoors. It's just so peaceful and calming and serene, and it really helps me to connect with the deck.

6 Haunted Days

I also adore mine! Though up in Vermont we are still waiting for Spring, just had had another snow storm yesterday and last night. 10 in. Yay for me. Freezing cold, 20 degrees below normal at 32. I soooo long for spring and then I will pull this out again, it's such a gorgeous and to the point oracle.

.traveller.

Oh yeah, I forget that y'all are still having icky weather on the East Coast. I lived out that way for a long time in various states along the coast. We've been getting a lot of rain (for here) this week so I haven't had the enjoyment of using my oracle outside.
So what types of questions do you use your oracle for? What do you store your cards in? Mine are living in a giftcard tin where I removed the insert, they are a perfect fit and the lid has a stylized poinsettia adorning it. I'm still figuring out the best kinds of questions for the oracle, although 3 card readings tend to flow better than the one card ones. I guess it's true that plants grow better in the company of other plants. :)

Jewel

I had been eyeing this oracle for some time and finally ordered it today (with a beautiful baba bag of course *LOL*). I am actually quite interested to see how this might work in conjunction with my Fantastic Menagerie Tarot. Has anyone tried that yet?

.traveller.

I think they work together quite well. I've read where people are using them with the Victorian Romantic, but personally I prefer the FM, especially since the artwork meshes so well (same artist and all). The Star from the FM and the Water Arum from the oracle are essentially the same image which adds a bit of intrigue when used together. I pull a focus card from the oracle and then follow up with a reading with the FM, I haven't tried reversing the process yet. So far, I have resisted the temptation to shuffle them together but I do find the idea rather appealing.

*experiencing Baba bag envy*

Jewel

Traveler thank you so much for your feedback. I have also seen where some are using it in conjunction with the VR, but I like the VR all by itself. Like you, I think that the VFO and the FM would be interestingly suited for eachother because of the artwork, and you took the thought right out of my head about shuffling the two decks together. Are the cards the same size????? I am really thinking about experementing with blending these two decks as one once I get familiar with the VFO.

(I got the rose baba bag with the green fabric ... can't wait to see it in person!!!)

.traveller.

I'd like to have the Dahlia bag, but I don't do paypal so it will remain a dream.
The cards are the same size and the card stock is very close.