Mermaids and Dolphins by Gillian Kemp

Myrrha

faerylvr said:
I have it... I love it... although it has few religion references that I found odd at first, I do believe I have the grasp of it now. It is a mix of picture and graphic art... and it is a great deck to read with.

faerylvr, could you give an example or explain more about the religious references? Is it just mentioning God or more specific?

thank you very much
--Myrrha

room

I decided that at $12.88 CAD this was worth ordering. I'm trusting faerylvr's taste in dolphins rendered without kitsch.

I also managed to sneak in the Fandex Family Field Guide to the Civil War and the collected poems of H.D. (Hilda) Doolittle to get free shipping. I am currently reading Shelby Foote's trilogy on the Civil War and have a US Games playing card deck on Famous Battles of the Civil War, but the Fandex things are excellent so I know I'll love it.

I've been hankering for the Doolittle collection for a year, so there you go.

Already those creatures from the sea are working their magic. Who knew how powerful and far-reaching they were??

WolfyJames

I can see on Amazon that it's not the same artist who made Good Witch Bad Witch, Fairies Wisdom and Tree Magick, so I'll probably pass on this one, especially that I'm not fond of waterly creatures anyway. I have to admit I'm more in love with the artist's art than Kemp hence why after falling in love with GWBW I had to get the other artist's decks. The artist who did GWBW is Emma Garner. I think she did as well the art of the tarot deck The Art of Tarot.

http://www.sylviepoggio.com/Emma Garner/

room

WolfyJames said:
so I'll probably pass on this one, especially that I'm not fond of waterly creatures anyway.

Me too, but I thought I'd take a chance for some reason, probably the low price.

I was just thinking it might work nicely with the Ocean Oracle--the shell cards, you know? I'm fond of mixing decks, so that particular pairing appeals to me.

6 Haunted Days

WolfyJames said:
I can see on Amazon that it's not the same artist who made Good Witch Bad Witch, Fairies Wisdom and Tree Magick, so I'll probably pass on this one, especially that I'm not fond of waterly creatures anyway. I have to admit I'm more in love with the artist's art than Kemp hence why after falling in love with GWBW I had to get the other artist's decks. The artist who did GWBW is Emma Garner. I think she did as well the art of the tarot deck The Art of Tarot.

http://www.sylviepoggio.com/Emma Garner/

Awww shucks. That's the main reason I love the set too, that naive, gorgeous art! I just love her work. I still would love to see those scans though. Be sure to tell us how you like it Room.

6 Haunted Days

Were you still going to put up those scans of the deck faerylvr ? I am REALLY curious to see them! : )

room

Jacqui Mair

http://www.jacquelinemair.co.uk/index.htm

This is the woman who illustrated the Mermaids and Dolphins deck. I knew I'd been to her page before. I think someone was talking about the Gillian Kemp Love Spells deck which Jacqui also illustrated.

She also illustrated The Destiny Tarot by Jane Struthers

She's done books, wallpaper, gift wrap, and fabric designs too. The site hasn't been updated since 2003, so she's probably got even more stuff out there.

I love her artwork.

room

Chapters has mailed my deck.

Should be interesting because I am not a mermaid and dolphin type of person. I never feel attraction for either one. Something about the art got to me though.

Where is faerylvr? I was really interested to hear her take on the religious references.

room

Boy, these were such a surprise, I am delighted with them. Beautiful illustrated art--there are no photographs they are all illustrations. Some of the line work makes the illustrations look like hand tinted lithographs or engravings--looks like pen and ink and watercolour to me--my favourite media for artwork.

There is a strong basis on Greek mythology in the deck, with a bit of history and world mythology from other cultures for interest. I thought it might be rather syrupy, but mythology is fraught with sex, violence, and quests and ordeals, so this deck could also be a bridge to a study of the original mythology and stories.

King Poseidon and his wife and son; The Kelpie; Merman, Mermaid and Merbaby; Water Nymph; The Nixie; The Undine; The Kraken; The Siren; The Three Rhine Maidens; Melusina (the fairy Melusine in mythology and A.S. Byatt's wonderful book "Possession.")

The first half of the deck is on a cream background and contains Mermaids for the most part. The second half is on a peachy pink background with animals and the odd mythological beast. There are just any many whales in this deck as dolphins, something I was pleased to see. Sea Monster and Sea Serpent; Proteus; Charybdis and Scylla; Lots of different whales and dolphins--good for secondary study of marine mammals maybe?

The book is small but well laid out with lots of coloured illustrations and 10 spreads, as well as half-page descriptions of each card. There are introductory chapters on Mermaid Lore and Dolphin Lore respectively. Dolphins, according to the book, are an allegory of salvation which I've read before. My dictionary of Christian Lore and Legend says that the dolphin is a symbol of salvation by Christ because a dolphin was said to rescue shipwrecked sailors by carrying them on its back to safety.

Mostly though, I think this is a nice little introduction to some basic world mythology. Very nice angle and not at all what I expected. I expected some sort of treacly thing about our cute, magical friends the dolphins. There is even a "Sith Mermaid."

So get the deck, put Wagner's Das Rheinegold on the CD and crank the volume up while you contemplate undines, Rhine maidens and the dreaded Kraken!!

They don't scan too well, but I tried to attach an adequate overview. The line work and text is so fine that the scanner doesn't doesn't pick them up well.