How important to you is the underlying system of a given oracle?

Chronata

I wanted to add that one of the reasons I do really like Oracles (cards especially) and often over tarot...is because they DO each have their own system.

I am just terrible when reading tarot (or most intuitive oracles) for myself. Can't be objective enough...and I start to doubt everything in my head...because well, it's in MY head! :D

But oracles simplify things.
For readings for myself, I like when there is a longish (more than one sentence) description in a book about a particular card.

Then I can just read what it says...like bibliomancy... and get a clear, no nonsense answer.

thorhammer

I knew if I searched long enough I'd find the right thread :D

This isn't quite what I was looking for, but it's better than starting a new one.

I'm wondering what makes a good Oracle, in your opinion. To me, so many of the ones on the market are "paycheck decks" - most notably the DV ones, but also a lot of the ones that come in the same stands as the DV :D

To me, because I am first and foremost a Tarot devotee, I need to have a system that makes some sense, even if it is arbitrary. Self-contradiction and fluffiness and New-Agey-ness make me gag, and if I sit down with an oracle that doesn't really have a system, I draw a complete blank.

Examples:

I liked the system in the Wisdom of Avalon oracle. I just didn't like the repetitiveness of the "pip" cards, and the disappointment when they sit next to the gorgeous watercolour art of the other cards.

I love the Radiant Sun and Moon Oracles by Smith and Astrop for their clear though intricate systems. I get great readings out of them. It's just that I find the process quite laborious because I don't work with them often enough to know them inside out.

I really want to learn how to read playing cards and Lenormand - just something gets in the way! I had the RGFTC and had to get rid of them - the frustration made me so mad!!! I just couldn't make heads nor tails of it. I've heard that they're Lenormand-like, and with a Lenormand in the mail to me I'm a bit nervous :D.

Oracles I just can't deal with in a full reading (though I love) - Luman: Dreaming in Colour, Attuned Moon Oracle, any runes (I used to read them . . . it's just not happening any more).

Oracles I can't deal with flat out - Druid Animal Oracle, Green Man Tree Oracle, Wiccan cards.

\m/ Kat

souljourney

thorhammer said:
Oracles I can't deal with flat out - Druid Animal Oracle, Green Man Tree Oracle, Wiccan cards.

\m/ Kat

I'm surprised in a way about the animals. To me those seem almost "easy" with or without the book. What do you know about an animals habits? For example, Squirrel... stores nuts for winter, message could be "save for tough times" or something like that. Other stuff is easy for some people and not me though, so to each their own.
Is it specifically the Druid Animal Oracle? I will admit in the book it sort of goes on and on with stories, that honestly don't give a lot of insight on some of them as to why certain chosen keywords. THAT bugs me.

thorhammer

souljourney said:
I'm surprised in a way about the animals. To me those seem almost "easy" with or without the book. What do you know about an animals habits? For example, Squirrel... stores nuts for winter, message could be "save for tough times" or something like that. Other stuff is easy for some people and not me though, so to each their own.
Is it specifically the Druid Animal Oracle? I will admit in the book it sort of goes on and on with stories, that honestly don't give a lot of insight on some of them as to why certain chosen keywords. THAT bugs me.
Half the issue with this one is that it's so specific to the Northern Hemisphere. I'm Australian, so most of those animals just aren't familiar to me - I have no intuitive understanding of their habits and significance. I've never explored the Australian Animal Oracle - the artwork does not appeal to me. It's a shame, but there you go.

But on the other hand - what system does it (the DAO) use? None that I could identify. And like I said, I need a system ;) :heart:

\m/ Kat

souljourney

thorhammer said:
Half the issue with this one is that it's so specific to the Northern Hemisphere. I'm Australian, so most of those animals just aren't familiar to me - I have no intuitive understanding of their habits and significance. I've never explored the Australian Animal Oracle - the artwork does not appeal to me. It's a shame, but there you go.

But on the other hand - what system does it (the DAO) use? None that I could identify. And like I said, I need a system ;) :heart:

\m/ Kat

Both good points. I guess in some ways for these oracles it's not a system really. I must have missed that in your first post. Ooops.

And you are right about the "wrong" hemisphere. I've had to look up a BUNCH of animals from the Animal Dreaming Oracle. Lots of birds I've never heard of, and several others. Probably 1/3 of the deck at least.

Bernice

Valeria said:
I always respect an oracle's underlying system, but most of the time I won't use it... at least I won't use it as is....
I'm with Valeria. If the content of the LWB has insufficient or erronous info. but I like the card images, I modify or completely change the meanings.

I sometimes bother to do a bit of research if I think the deck is worth it. i.e. historical or subject facts or location factors.

Bee :)