Process of creating spreads

Kyrielle

What's the process of creating a new spread? Do you just decide the shape, number of cards, and position meanings and you're ready to go? Or does it take a period of test readings before you figure out what meaning tends to go with what position?

-- Kyrielle

Keslynn

I have yet to completely create my own spread from scratch though I have had some ideas. Usually, I will just slightly modify an existing spread so that the flow of information is more easily read by me. Most often, it's just a slight adjustment in the shape of the spread. As far as creating your own spreads, I think that generally you decide what kind of information you would like to get from the spread. Is it a spread to give advice? Is it a spread to give an overview of the situation? Is it a spread to explore alternate solutions? Once you know what information you want to get from a spread, you can decide how to place the cards. Try to pick a formation that will flow easily for you. It doesn't have to make sense for anyone else as long as you know the positions and what they mean for you.

I hope that helped. Someday soon I might actually write down and experiment with the spread ideas I have.

:) Kes

Sullanciri2002

well ...

On those few occasions where I've created a spread, it was part intuition and part study of the shape and form.
There's no reason why intuition could not suffise, as it seems widely accepted to draw and read single cards per question - whether the question asked is a "vague starter" or a request for further elaboration on the cards already drawn and laid out.
Now, that I think of it - most spreads seem to function as a helping hand if one doesn't feel to sure what the next card drawn should stand for ... or to add to the way a card is read: remember that a card's reading/interpretation is based on the card, it's position in the spread, the question asked, ... so "fixed" spreads offer one extra "grip" on the card based on its position in the spread.
I've come to the point where I frequently use four spreads, two traditional "classics" and two I've created myself ... but my use of those sometimes has more to do with my need for that extra "tip" on how to read the card.
I do know that some readers (and of course certain people on this forum will feel targetted, whereas I don't mean anyone in particular) use spreads because it makes the right impression on querents - it comes across as "the professional thing to do" and makes the whole experience more believable for the doubting querent.
If you're looking for a spread that suits you in your way of reading, why not start with a small existing spread - and add on to it in a way that answers your specific need for further clarification or insight.
All things said and done, a lot of spread with many cards use only small variations on the meaning of each position (and yes - I'm guilty of that myself in my recent addition the the Ankh-spread): positive and negative influences, past-present-future influences or forces, warnings and options, possible outcomes, ... the shape of the spread doesn't always seem to make that big a difference.
PS/ and if that doesn't get me a whole barrage/discussion of disagreements ... I don't know what will - devlish grin.

Rhiannon

I usually start by deciding a question... and then deciding what info. I want regarding that question.

Example: I usually get the "will this person and I have a good relationship?" type question. So I think, First: what is the general thing going on? Then: What does my querent feel/want/bring? What does my querent's love interest feel/want/bring? What obstacles might they face? What is the advice to offer/solution/outcome?

Of course you can add more to that. It can also be used for job/career questions... just about anything with a simple modifications. I usually just lay the cards out in a line.. I don't make a "shape" with them.

I think you'll find that it's not as daunting and scary a prospect as you think! It's really fun! Good luck and let us know what you come up with and if it works for you.

R :)

Sullanciri2002

all due respect ...

to Rhiannon, for picking a title like "crone" for herself - If I ever get to that many posts - nah, not a good idea.

Rhiannon

:D There are personal reasons behind the title! LOL Go ask Pollux! :D

Emily

I also modify existing spreads, sometimes all a spread needs to make it more workable is changing the wording a little to suit your needs - I don't like the celtic cross but I use a modified version of it and it works fine or go to a few spread sites, there are quite a few if you put 'tarot spreads' into a search engine like google, print out ones you like then you have the basis for your own spread. :)

jema

what i do is i start with why i need to make a spread.
i have a question that the spreads i have seen in other places just can't answer.
so i start there - with a question.
What do i need to know?
and i just attack that from all angles, and try to cut down so i have just the most important things - generally 4-7 cards.
most of the time i do linespreads.
but most of my readings are very flexible, i move the cards around a lot after i pin-pointed the meaning for the card in that position so my spreads tend to be really flexible despite being just cards in a line.

oh and one important thing - when formulating the questions for the places in the spread - to remember to "close" the spread so i don't just sit there with a lot of statements but have also recieved some real clues to what kind of future action i should focus on.
a card that tells me how to get onwards in life.

i also tend to use a lot of shorter versions of spreads someone else did.
i work best with short spreads. most of my readings still take a good hour if i do the CC.

Alta

I make up or modify most of my spreads now. I don't like working with more than 5 or 7 cards, causes a clutter in my brain!
Take the inquiry or general reading area, and a pen and sheet of paper and jot down everything about it you think it would be helpful to know. The kinds of questions generally you can glean from reading other spreads or just thinking about it. I like to lay them out in a pattern that likely only makes sense to me. For that question, at that time.
Read other people's spreads. Even if you don't take anything else about the spread, you might take one 'position' or aspect.