Elemental Spread

Myrrha

Re: Re: Re: doesn't it get confusing ...

Jewel said:

My thoughts on this is that in life we see the blending of the elements in everything. No emotion is purely "water" for example. So the way I would see getting another element within a particular elemental postition (i.e. fire in a water position), is that I am handling or dealing with an emotional issue in a fiery way (passion, creativity perhaps), or if I draw a sword maybe I am over analyzing a relationship.

That makes sense to me, Jewel, and makes it sound like a useful quick spread. Going to try it right now! :) One of my decks, the Minchiate Etruria has a major arcana card for each of the elements. The meanings given in the LWB include an emotion for each element: nostalgia and fond memories for earth, lightheartedness and exultancy for air, coolness and calm for water, and passion and exuberance for fire. This got me thinking about how emotions=water is really an oversimplification.

Jewel

Re: Re: Re: Re: doesn't it get confusing ...

Myrrha said:
That makes sense to me, Jewel, and makes it sound like a useful quick spread. Going to try it right now! :) One of my decks, the Minchiate Etruria has a major arcana card for each of the elements. This got me thinking about how emotions=water is really an oversimplification.

Myrrha, I was wondering how your spread went? I still have not tried this one. I personally find it hard to separate all elemental influences into neat little piles (oversimplification as you stated). I do believe the essense of each element is present but that in real life we can and usually do have more than one element at work at a time.

Myrrha

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: doesn't it get confusing ...

Jewel said:
Myrrha, I was wondering how your spread went? I still have not tried this one. I personally find it hard to separate all elemental influences into neat little piles (oversimplification as you stated). I do believe the essense of each element is present but that in real life we can and usually do have more than one element at work at a time.

Yes, in real life the elements are mixed and mingled. Things have to do with more than one element, as the question about work being "fire" and financial security being "earth" showed. I did try this spread. It gave an overall snapshot view of what is going on right now in my life but did not offer much in the way of advice so it seemed kind of limited. On the other hand a couple of the cards seemed to validate things that I thought were going on, to have them show up in the spread was as if the cards were saying "yes, this is really happening, pay attention to it"

It did not seem confusing or constricting to have the elements be positions in the spread, I just thought of them as areas of life. For example I had the ace of cups in the position for the material aspect of my life, "earth", health, financial, job (this makes more sense for me than putting job in "fire") which could mean that my change of position (at work) will come through and it will be more emotionally satisfying, may even provide a new begining in my creative life. Strangely, the three areas in my life that are most mingled and interconnected right now all were given cup cards and the meanings seemed to relate to each other.

It might be interesting to use this spread in relation to a specific question. For example if it were used in a question about a new job the positions could be interpreted as different aspects of that specific situation. Or to use it as the first spread in a reading, to get that overview and then go to a more detailed spread about something specific.

Thanks again for posting these monthly spreads, it is great to try something new.
Myrrha

Jewel

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: doesn't it get confusing ...

Myrrha said:
For example I had the ace of cups in the position for the material aspect of my life, "earth", health, financial, job (this makes more sense for me than putting job in "fire") which could mean that my change of position (at work) will come through and it will be more emotionally satisfying, may even provide a new begining in my creative life.

Myrrah I agree with your interpretation. I am wondering if this spread might not work best with no question .... sort of a general overview and then do a separate specific spread for additional info as you suggested.