Filigree Tarot by Teo Hoble - Work in Progress

Deaux

Oooh I have such a weakness for filigree designs, AND things that look like paper cut outs (like your Aces) AND animation-style art -- so let me add to the list of people encouraging you :)

I was terrified to post in this section, too -- but it really is such a supportive group. It's good to breathe a big sigh of relief!

mothcloth

Congratulations Fire
[...]
I personally feel it would be a shame to add colour in case you lost some of your wonderful detail. Yet where you have already added colour the cards look absolutely amazing :D
[...]

i very much agree with this! especially because you have a lot of very pretty, very delicate lines and curves, i feel adding more color might take away from the "my-eyes-need-to-follow-the-lines"-flow your cards invite to (i hope that made sense!) - maybe a very limited color palette would work (2-3 colors)? just an idea - it's your deck and your vision after all!

best of luck!!

HudsonGray

I'm on a coloring book artist group page on Facebook, the sizes of self published coloring books seem to vary all over the board so if you want to release the cards at 'card size' for a mini book series - say all the majors, then each suit - at normal tarot card size or slightly larger, you can do that as effectively as releasing one at a standard 8 1/2 x 11" page size. The 'travel size' is still popular and probably always will be. Something to put in the car or purse, you know.

The major recommendations with coloring books seem to be: print it one sided per page so people can remove and frame them, to use resume paper or light card stock for not only sturdiness but to make sure markers don't seep through to hit the next page, and to have enough pages for the price.

You can also think about 'greeting cards' too. Though most of that market has thinned down since email now is the default way of connecting with people.

Aunty Anthea

I'm on a coloring book artist group page on Facebook, the sizes of self published coloring books seem to vary all over the board so if you want to release the cards at 'card size' for a mini book series - say all the majors, then each suit - at normal tarot card size or slightly larger, you can do that as effectively as releasing one at a standard 8 1/2 x 11" page size. The 'travel size' is still popular and probably always will be. Something to put in the car or purse, you know.

The major recommendations with coloring books seem to be: print it one sided per page so people can remove and frame them, to use resume paper or light card stock for not only sturdiness but to make sure markers don't seep through to hit the next page, and to have enough pages for the price.

You can also think about 'greeting cards' too. Though most of that market has thinned down since email now is the default way of connecting with people.

Now that is very interesting :thumbsup:

Perhaps Fire could even produce a 'colour you own' version :)

Fire has so many options :love:

Fire

Yes, apparently I do have a lot of options... after I finish the thing, haha. For now I've started coloring the Majors, before I get moving on the Court Cards. I'll post some pictures when I've done a more significant number :D

Arimaya

Oh, those aces - gorgeous! They feel almost celtic/mandala-sh.

The line art reminds me of some of the fine old Disney stuff before they went all digital -- when there was still pen and ink and soul :)

I particularly find your Emperor exciting - such an active take charge portrait. I'm also digging the "consequences" focus of your Justice and the nontraditional Devil (need more of those!).

Definitely want to keep an eye on this as you progress!

truelighth

I really, really like what you have done! I hope you will complete it and get it printed.

I am even curious if you still have all the black&white drawings too. I find the coloured ones really lovely, but the black&white also has an appeal. I for one would probably like a black&white version as well :)

jalaire

Oh I love these! All the tiny details are mesmerizing! I agree with the idea of having a black and white version and a colored version. I can't wait until these are finished!

Fire

Yup, I'm saving cleaner B&W files as I move along with the colors... Something tells me that people will prefer those in the end, anyway :joke:. I like reusing the same shading as I do in the colored versions, to make them "pop" out from the filigree more. I will post an example of those as well - but for now, I have my first 5 examples of full colored cards:

http://orig03.deviantart.net/7423/f/2015/281/a/d/filigree_tarot___5_colored_majors_by_teo_hoble-d9cdwjh.jpg

:angel:

They're in no particular order - I just started coloring randomly, with whichever cards I "felt like" on that particular occasion... So far the High Priestess is the only with silver/white lighting - there will be a few more, such as The Moon, but I believe that most of the Majors, at least, will wind up with gold lighting.

As for the Disney look... Yeah honestly that's inevitable with me :p. I spent way too much time drawing Disney fanart and anime fanart, as well as figure drawing in sketchbooks... to not end up with a weird mutant of a style. I guess this sort of exercise is very good to help you draw more / more varied things. And also to really compare your level at one time with later evolution (I'm overwhelmed by a single deck and I'm already fantasizing about repeating the exercise a few decades later, haha!)

MissNine

Wowza!!!!!
Wonderful work, Fire!!!!!

Are the filigree areas going to be a different texture than the colored portions? (Ex: Rough versus smooth) just a thought.

I love the way the colors contrast to the black and white on the Aces.
Can't wait to purchase it!!!!