Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Setting up business face or logo?

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Talking Tarot


 
feminine_mystique's Avatar
feminine_mystique  feminine_mystique is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 09 Nov 2016
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 765
feminine_mystique 
Citizen

feminine_mystique's Avatar
Setting up business face or logo?


Good morning everyone. I'm interested in setting up a small business for tarot just so I can get paid for what I do now that I seem to have a small clientele. I'm curious to know though if I should create a logo for my business or have my face as the business logo?

I feel that having a face makes the business human like vs the computer generated tarot stuff you see online these days. I hope as well people can also see me as a person and can relate to me to genuinely help them as well. Ifind as well this will create a bond between reader and client that way they know who is giving them readings etc..

Vs.

now I have been told that I will need to make a logo for my business to "stand out" in a sense.. I want to attract different type of clientele and not make it all so "woo woo" if that makes sense. I think a simple logo would be good and would make the business look very professional.. however i am worried that it will be too "distant" for clients to not know who is the person who will be giving their readings etc..

I just need some opinions as to what you would prefer as a tarot business.. i understand some people will not really care as long as the service is their but i would like to get this sorted for now..
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Ace's Avatar
Ace  Ace is offline
Life is an Elephant
 
Join Date: 06 Jul 2004
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 4,223
Ace 
Life is an Elephant

Ace's Avatar

Unless you want to "sell" your image as part of what you do, I would go with a logo. It makes you look more established. I on the other hand, have a photo as my main "trade mark" because I "sell" myself as a costumed entertainer.

So if you usually dress professionally as a reader, go with the logo.

barb
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
feminine_mystique's Avatar
feminine_mystique  feminine_mystique is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 09 Nov 2016
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 765
feminine_mystique 
Citizen

feminine_mystique's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Unless you want to "sell" your image as part of what you do, I would go with a logo. It makes you look more established. I on the other hand, have a photo as my main "trade mark" because I "sell" myself as a costumed entertainer.

So if you usually dress professionally as a reader, go with the logo.

barb
Hmm. That's something to definitely think about. I'll be selling my services and not so much myself. 🤔

Thanks for the input. 😁
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
Ruby Jewel's Avatar
Ruby Jewel  Ruby Jewel is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 02 Apr 2014
Location: around
Posts: 1,401
Ruby Jewel 
Citizen

Ruby Jewel's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_mystique View Post
Good morning everyone. I'm interested in setting up a small business for tarot just so I can get paid for what I do now that I seem to have a small clientele. I'm curious to know though if I should create a logo for my business or have my face as the business logo?

I feel that having a face makes the business human like vs the computer generated tarot stuff you see online these days. I hope as well people can also see me as a person and can relate to me to genuinely help them as well. Ifind as well this will create a bond between reader and client that way they know who is giving them readings etc..

Vs.

now I have been told that I will need to make a logo for my business to "stand out" in a sense.. I want to attract different type of clientele and not make it all so "woo woo" if that makes sense. I think a simple logo would be good and would make the business look very professional.. however i am worried that it will be too "distant" for clients to not know who is the person who will be giving their readings etc..

I just need some opinions as to what you would prefer as a tarot business.. i understand some people will not really care as long as the service is their but i would like to get this sorted for now..
I prefer the logo myself.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
JMI_Tarot's Avatar
JMI_Tarot  JMI_Tarot is offline
Reader of all sorts...
 
Join Date: 02 Oct 2016
Location: The Green Room
Posts: 223
JMI_Tarot 
Reader of all sorts...

JMI_Tarot's Avatar

People can (will) develop a preconceived notion of you based on your appearance.

You could be too old, too young, too wholesome, too scary, wrong colors, wrong weight, etc etc.

On the other hand, your appearance will appeal to some people and may help your business.

However, a stylish interesting logo could do the same thing.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
Ace's Avatar
Ace  Ace is offline
Life is an Elephant
 
Join Date: 06 Jul 2004
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 4,223
Ace 
Life is an Elephant

Ace's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_mystique View Post
Hmm. That's something to definitely think about. I'll be selling my services and not so much myself. 🤔

Thanks for the input. 😁
If you can't create a logo right away, how about showing a card spread? (Use a deck like RWS for copyright reasons.)

barb
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6
CreativeFire's Avatar
CreativeFire  CreativeFire is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 07 Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,815
CreativeFire 
Citizen

CreativeFire's Avatar

Hi feminine_mystique, a couple of thoughts that may assist you in working out how best to start this up and your choice of logo or image, if you haven't considered it already.

If your intention, albeit initially, is to do readings on a part time basis and receive payment - you may want to consider setting this up as a "hobby", which you are able to do and make some money, without declaring this as income for taxation purposes (you would need to double check the amount with the Aus Tax Dept - ATO) - and read their guidelines of business vs hobby.

Or, alternatively, if you want to go straight into setting it up as a proper business - with ABN number, GST, declare any income etc - keep accounts of incoming and outgoing expenses etc. Also depending on where you live in Brissie, you may have to check any local council regs on running a business from home etc (I am also in the same neck of the woods and it was ok with my local council for certain types of home business).

The reason why I am mentioning this is that - if you go down the "business" path, you can register a business name and from this create a "logo"that goes with your business name.

If you are only going to do this part time (as a so called hobby) - then you are limited to only using your own name - not a name like say "Brisbane Tarot Readings", or "Feminine Mystique Tarot Readings" - you could however use your own name and put Tarot Reader after it eg. "Mary Smith - Tarot Reader".

You could then still develop a logo based on your real name and services, or alternatively in the meantime use a photo of Tarot cards (like Ace suggested) - as there are a number of these available from stock photo agencies which can be purchased at a relatively small fee (if you are not able to produce a quality image yourself).

Also just fyi - usually when you create a business and work out a name - some things to bear in mind - if it is a business that you plan to just do for yourself and build up a reputation (and not ultimately one day open a shop front, or sell as a franchise, or on-sell as a going concern to someone else), it is often best to incorporate your own name into the name of the business. This would also work if you decided to transition from hobby to business in the future - by using and keeping your name / reputation as part of this.

Something that also often helps when you are setting up any sort of business - is to do some competitor research - check out how other Tarot Readers in your local area present themselves / advertise - online, in person etc and this will help you to see potentially what customers may expect and also give you some ideas on how to differentiate yourself (if you wish).

A bit of info overload here, but hope some of this may help for you to make this a success for you As you may have guessed, I have had a bit of previous experience in business setup (not for Tarot), but it is something I am also considering as part time (hobby not business initially) to test the waters at this stage.

Cheers
CF
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #7
feminine_mystique's Avatar
feminine_mystique  feminine_mystique is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 09 Nov 2016
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 765
feminine_mystique 
Citizen

feminine_mystique's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeFire View Post
Hi feminine_mystique, a couple of thoughts that may assist you in working out how best to start this up and your choice of logo or image, if you haven't considered it already.

If your intention, albeit initially, is to do readings on a part time basis and receive payment - you may want to consider setting this up as a "hobby", which you are able to do and make some money, without declaring this as income for taxation purposes (you would need to double check the amount with the Aus Tax Dept - ATO) - and read their guidelines of business vs hobby.

Or, alternatively, if you want to go straight into setting it up as a proper business - with ABN number, GST, declare any income etc - keep accounts of incoming and outgoing expenses etc. Also depending on where you live in Brissie, you may have to check any local council regs on running a business from home etc (I am also in the same neck of the woods and it was ok with my local council for certain types of home business).

The reason why I am mentioning this is that - if you go down the "business" path, you can register a business name and from this create a "logo"that goes with your business name.

If you are only going to do this part time (as a so called hobby) - then you are limited to only using your own name - not a name like say "Brisbane Tarot Readings", or "Feminine Mystique Tarot Readings" - you could however use your own name and put Tarot Reader after it eg. "Mary Smith - Tarot Reader".

You could then still develop a logo based on your real name and services, or alternatively in the meantime use a photo of Tarot cards (like Ace suggested) - as there are a number of these available from stock photo agencies which can be purchased at a relatively small fee (if you are not able to produce a quality image yourself).

Also just fyi - usually when you create a business and work out a name - some things to bear in mind - if it is a business that you plan to just do for yourself and build up a reputation (and not ultimately one day open a shop front, or sell as a franchise, or on-sell as a going concern to someone else), it is often best to incorporate your own name into the name of the business. This would also work if you decided to transition from hobby to business in the future - by using and keeping your name / reputation as part of this.

Something that also often helps when you are setting up any sort of business - is to do some competitor research - check out how other Tarot Readers in your local area present themselves / advertise - online, in person etc and this will help you to see potentially what customers may expect and also give you some ideas on how to differentiate yourself (if you wish).

A bit of info overload here, but hope some of this may help for you to make this a success for you As you may have guessed, I have had a bit of previous experience in business setup (not for Tarot), but it is something I am also considering as part time (hobby not business initially) to test the waters at this stage.

Cheers
CF
Wow thanks so much for such valuable information. I actually had a talk with the ATO as I was unsure whether my tarot readings would be classified as a hobby v a business. Turns out she said it's best to declare it as a business for the first year as it may pick up.. if it doesn't then I can always establish it as a hobby in the future without having to pay fines etc.. so I do have an abn at the moment and have just registered with asic as well which was done in one whole go (YAY) .. this is also just something that I'll do part time However I do plan to promote the business as well and create incoming revenue with it as well so social media is a great help however I work in a line of work that I'm in the public view (customer directory at a shopping centre) and the thing that worries about my face being "out there" are people going to my workplace and asking for readings there and then, which will greatly impact my work in a negative way.

I feel that a logo would be the best way to go.. I dont see myself selling myself as a business but my interpretation skills more so.. I just want to be the mediator between the Universe and the querent so I'm more like the invisible party 😉

Thanks so much for this information though. I will see competition around me as well to see how and what they do and what I offer that is different and unique. I have thought of the business structure for a few weeks now but it's all starting to fit in now it's exciting but scary.. just a few things I still need to set up before it launches. 😀
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #8
feminine_mystique's Avatar
feminine_mystique  feminine_mystique is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 09 Nov 2016
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 765
feminine_mystique 
Citizen

feminine_mystique's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMI_Tarot View Post
People can (will) develop a preconceived notion of you based on your appearance.

You could be too old, too young, too wholesome, too scary, wrong colors, wrong weight, etc etc.

On the other hand, your appearance will appeal to some people and may help your business.

However, a stylish interesting logo could do the same thing.
I agree.

I might have a little about me section on the side of my website or something and show a small picture lol.. maybe. I want to remain as enigmatic and mysterious as possible lol.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #9
Rosewater's Avatar
Rosewater  Rosewater is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 15 Oct 2012
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 153
Rosewater 
Citizen

Rosewater's Avatar

I'd suggest including your face in some part of your logo or promo material. Professional people in many fields do this also. I think clients will feel drawn to a face more than just a logo on its own. I wouldn't worry about looking too extreme or too "straight," just present yourself as you would be while in the company of your clients.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #10


 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.