Mini vs. Pocket Rider Waite???

Tarot dance

Hi,

I’m confused, I have always read with what I refer to as the Mini Rider Waite. Now I am seeing Pocket Rider Waite…is this the same deck?

Thanks in advance

RunningWild

You can always check the www.aeclectic.net site for a better description but my understanding is that there are pocket editions of the rider-waite deck that are just slightly smaller in height and width than a deck of standard playing cards, and there is a mini-deck that is about the size of a postage stamp. I believe you'll often see the distinction between the sizes explained more or less this way, no matter what label the publisher gives the deck.

ETA: I'll probably be corrected on the above. That's what I've gleaned from reading the threads over the past several years.

Also, U.S. Games Systems puts out a Tiny Tarot, which is the postage stamp-sized deck (on a keychain!).

Grizabella

There are several sizes of the Rider Waite. There's the great big over-sized one, the regular sized one, the pocket one, a smaller one than that, and then there's the little tiny "smallest Tarot in the world." That's five sizes that I've seen and owned.

Tarot dance

Thank you...I have always used the mini, I am going to get the pocket size and compare them............thanks again

Grizabella

The pocket size is about the same size as the Hanson-Roberts, Vanessa, or Halloween in a Tin.

Bluefeet

You can measure yours and then compare the size to the pocket size listed online, that will be much easier also avoids getting duplicate copies. ;)

Tarot dance

Roppo..that explained everything...i want the pocket and I have never owned the large size either...thanks everyone...

IrenaB

I got the pocket size RWS included in the US Games "The Complete Tarot Kit". I wondered how they managed to make the two decks - the RWS and the Thoth in the same size, as they have different proportion (the Thoth is wider than the RWS with the same height). Then I noticed that the RWS deck's height is a bit "compressed" to get the proportion. This can be seen especially in the cards with big round elements - Wheel of Fortune, the Moon, the Sun - they are not perfect round, rather slightly oval. I am not sure if the separately sold pocket size edition is the same included in the kit. This is a bit displeasing though.

Richard

......Then I noticed that the RWS deck's height is a bit "compressed" to get the proportion. This can be seen especially in the cards with big round elements - Wheel of Fortune, the Moon, the Sun - they are not perfect round, rather slightly oval......
The standard pocket edition is that way too.