copyright free line art/drawings?

HighPriestesss

Thank you!

gregory

WalesWoman said:
Try a search here, I know there was a site listed that had the whole RWS deck and maybe a TdM that you could copy and print to make your own deck. I'll look in my bookmarks and see if I can find it.
The RWS was taken down :(

gregory

But they are coloured already.....

gregory

Good grief ! THANKS !

Antoinette

If you can't draw....

I was in the same situation: I cannot draw! Now I am retired, I am actually taking drawing classes, but I did my www.hetty.mosaicglove.com tarots before that.
In the end, I worked with what I had: I can work in textile, I can use CorelPhotoPaint (like photoshop), I can take photos, I can use Dover images.
So I went with that.
Once I had a deadline of an exhibition and I just HAD to get on with it, I found that once I started, it became something I could do. It wasn't always easy, but I accepted my limitations and worked within that.
So look at what you CAN do and look at things you CAN teach yourself.
Everyone with a computer can learn to use an image manipulation program. Some are very expensive, some are cheaper if you get the academic version: get someone who is a teacher or student to buy it for you. There are also free programs, someone here will know which ones they are.
You can take photos. Not only of people, but also of things.
If you go to my blog : www.hettyvb.blogspot.com and scroll down, you will see how I created the background for The Devil by taking a photo of some chains in my husband's shed, and then manipulating that photo.
I printed it out on fabric, if you aren't into that, you can do it on paper.
Maybe learn how to use layers in your image manipulation program.
You can use Dover images and then change them to suit.
By working within what you CAN do, and worry less about what you CANNOT do, you will create your own style.
Good luck!

Lleminawc

Too many people think they "can't draw". Often the real problem is that they're not drawing the shapes they see in front of them, but what they think things ought to look like. So you end up with potato-headed people with sausage fingers. Try working through Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: it contains a valuable series of exercises, whether or not you buy into her speculations about the functions of the two sides of the brain.

lizziecat

You might also want to look at "public domain" images, but again, you have to be careful because "public domain" can be interpreted differently depending on the country.

"Public Domain" can also refer just to the original but not the copies. For example, the original "Mona Lisa" painting is public domain, but photographs or prints of it are not - they are usually copyrighted by the photographer, gallery, publisher, etc. so those cannot be used without permission.

I agree with Lleminawc - anyone can learn to draw as it's just a skill that takes practice like anything else (I don't believe in "talent" - just hard work :))

If you want to draw your own images sign up for an informal drawing class. You'll learn the basics to get you started, and then I would also suggest a life drawing class to help with the human form. You can practice drawing images from photographs but photographs flatten everything and it's helpful to know how to correct this so the drawings look more natural.

Good luck!