frustration turned to inspiration

temperlyne

Well I just thought I'd post this here so maybe some frustrated soul will get hope from it!
I planned on giving my lover a painting for valentines day since he really loves it when I pick up my brushes again. I had an old scetch lying around for my version of the lovers and decided on making an oil painting out of it. It was a nice idea but turned out to be very frustrating. Oil is a medium I haven't used before and since it dries so slowly my cats hairs kept getting stuck in the wet paint.... Because my livingspace is extremely small I had to work on the floor and jump over it when I wanted to get out, but I really wanted to do it.
The first problem was transferring the scetch to the (huge) paper, I just couldn't get the same emotions as in the smaller version. When it was time to start painting I got cold feet, afraid I might ruin it my working pace slowed down extremely. Today I got fed up with it, I wanted to be able to walk across my room normally and the deadline of valentines day had long passed. Well in my hurry I finally ruined the initial idea completely....
The resulting frustration somhow transformed into inspiration and in about an hour I poured out great scetches for all the four aces!
A failed lovers card resulted in 4 aces. A happy ending after all and my lessons for the future; 1, don't hurry yourself 2, frustrations can lead to some great inspiration!

I'll try to scan both the lover and the aces this weekend so you can judge for yourselves.

I hope my rambling wasn't too annoying, I just wanted to share this with you

Fulgour

4 Stars

Two lessons that often repeat in artistic creation are:

Serendipity (happy accidents)
&
Stepping Back (letting the "accident" be)

graylensman

Been there, still doing that!

As an artist, too, I can relate. The one thing I find is if I push my creativity, I'm destined to fail; and if I cling too tightly to an idea, I suffocate it.

Are you familiar with Richard Hell and the Voidoids? They've got a great song called "Time" which speaks to this issue so eloquently:

And when I want to write a song that says it all at once
Then Time sublimely silences the wise
I know that if i try I'm gonna take a fall at once
And splatter there between my lies

Can't wait to see the results of your epiphany!

temperlyne

Fulgour said:
Two lessons that often repeat in artistic creation are:

Serendipity (happy accidents)
&
Stepping Back (letting the "accident" be)

Thnx Fulgour!

It has been ages since I finished a painting and I guess I just forgot that serendipity plays such a major part in the end result.
I thought I had messed up the lovers but when I looked at the finished piece it surprised me completely! I actually sort of liked it. There were brushstrokes there that I couldn't remember painting at all, but were in just the right place.
I guess I just have to trust in serendipity to sort of guide me when I create. Right now i'm working on death and had a hard time deciding on the colors, your post reminded me that the colors will probably choose themself if I just started painting, and so they have!

Milfoil

The one thing I find is if I push my creativity, I'm destined to fail; and if I cling too tightly to an idea, I suffocate it.

Absolutely - happens to me every time. In fact I've been wanting to get stuck into a 'deck of my own' for years now but everytime I sit down to make a plan I just end up dissapointed. When I doodle and sketch from the subconcious - there it is! Thats what I hated about University, the constant demand for your creativity and the constant stress that went with it. Working to a project is the surest way to kill my inspiration.

4 Aces though - wow what a start! ;)