Buying tarot cards in Venice?

gregory

I was there in October. I didn't see a single deck.

Nemia

Thank you. That's sad....

FLizarraga

The shops I dropped in on were near Calle de la Mandola and Rio Tera de la Mandola. From the street, you'll be able to see a number of decks in this particular tobacconist's window. Inside, he had many decks from European publishers that you simply don't see in the states and in most new age bookstores.

This thread is driving me crazy. It's enabling to the MAX.

I see this little tobacco shop on a Medieval corner... and an antique and mysterious deck inside, close to the glass. The cards are gilt, and the old gold sort of beckons me. I open the door and go inside... never to be seen again...

dreamee

Hi! Since I'm Italian I hope to help who is looking for tarots in my country; just note that I'm from Milan, so I don't know specifically about Venice, but I think that what happens here applies for the majority of the country.

Usually you can find tarots in book shops, both in small/independent ones and in big ones (chains like Mondadori and La Feltrinelli, for example): they can be found in the New Age/Religion area on the shelves and/or on a displayer(?) by LoScarabeo or at the cash desk; just ask the shop assistant if you can't find them!

A more specific place where you can find decks and other related things is the "Libreria Esoterica" (esoteric bookstore), googling I found these two in Venice:

Libreria Miracoli
Via Cannaregio 60-62 - 30131 Venezia

Libreria Il Tempio di Iside
Via San Polo 2659/A - Venezia

Il Tempio di Iside has also an updated website, so I'm sure it's still open and you can also check out what they have in store!

I hope that I was clear, sorry for my basic english!

gregory

Hi! Since I'm Italian I hope to help who is looking for tarots in my country; just note that I'm from Milan, so I don't know specifically about Venice, but I think that what happens here applies for the majority of the country.

Usually you can find tarots in book shops, both in small/independent ones and in big ones (chains like Mondadori and La Feltrinelli, for example): they can be found in the New Age/Religion area on the shelves and/or on a displayer(?) by LoScarabeo or at the cash desk; just ask the shop assistant if you can't find them!

A more specific place where you can find decks and other related things is the "Libreria Esoterica" (esoteric bookstore), googling I found these two in Venice:

Il Tempio di Iside has also an updated website, so I'm sure it's still open and you can also check out what they have in store!

I hope that I was clear, sorry for my basic english!
#
Your English is fine. I wish I had asked you before I went last October !

Nemia

Thank you so much everybody here! I'm really excited and will write everything down and try to find it!

Nemia

I'm back from beautiful magical Venice and found no deck! Not in bookstores, not in tobacco stores. The shopkeepers looked at me as if I was crazy. The Temple of Isis doesn't exist any more, I think.

I once saw the Mantegna deck in a shop window at night but couldn't remember next day where it had been.

So no deck buying in Venice, what a pity...But I'm sure I'll go back there with more time on my hands.

Thank you again everybody for your help.

kalliope

I'm back from beautiful magical Venice and found no deck! Not in bookstores, not in tobacco stores. The shopkeepers looked at me as if I was crazy.

Oh no! I'm going to Florence in September and was hoping to find stumble upon some wonderful deck finds. But your experience in Venice doesn't bode well! I'm sorry it was disappointing shopping for you. :neutral:

Lain_82

Reviving this thread since I arrived in Venice a few hours ago :) so far I've seen copies of the alchemist 1977 tarot deck, and a lot of very interesting playing card decks in tobacco shops. I'll try tomorrow at bookstores and see what I find!

celticnoodle

Enjoy Venice! One of my fave places that we've ever been. I hope you are able to find a great tarot deck there that will always remind you of that beautiful city. :) I wish I had thought of it, but sadly, I did not. :(