Your Top 5 Home Remedies....

danieljuk

A friend went to a herbalist lecture once where the speaker said to unblock when you are all stuffed up, to use lavender oil in a a bowl of hot water to inhale with a towel over your head. The friend was unsure of this because they always used tea tree oil or things like Olbas Oil (not sure how natural that is). It's really good, a decongestant and anti bacterial! you can use it for throat, nose and ear problems to unblock by inhaling. I think the lavender seems to be better with the sinuses.

Since she told me that I always use it now! But if you do it, start off slow. Don't take a deep breathe because it burns a bit at the start. Go slow with it but it's my miracle decongester! :)

celticnoodle

A friend went to a herbalist lecture once where the speaker said to unblock when you are all stuffed up, to use lavender oil in a a bowl of hot water to inhale with a towel over your head. The friend was unsure of this because they always used tea tree oil or things like Olbas Oil (not sure how natural that is). It's really good, a decongestant and anti bacterial! you can use it for throat, nose and ear problems to unblock by inhaling. I think the lavender seems to be better with the sinuses.

Since she told me that I always use it now! But if you do it, start off slow. Don't take a deep breathe because it burns a bit at the start. Go slow with it but it's my miracle decongester! :)

Yes, I have also heard this before with the lavender oil. I think I heard it here, on A.T. and probably in this thread.

Also, a very dear friend of mine, (also here on A.T.) tells me to take Oregano Oil to help keep from getting colds. I have the oil now, but haven't begun to take it as I always clear this stuff with my doctor first--since I take a lot of prescription medicines. However, it is good for cleaning house too, I read and other ways that will be beneficial to me even if I can't consume it or breathe it in with steam. :)

See this site:http://articles.mercola.com/herbal-oils/oregano-oil.aspx

I grow my own lavender at both homes. I should consider trying to make my own lavender oil. Wonder how hard that would be? :confused:

earthair

Melissa officinalis for headaches, nausea, feeling calm and protection against low level radiation :)
Easy to grow too.

celticnoodle

:laugh: I was going to post that I have never heard of Melissa officinalis--but thought I'd google it first. Thank God for google! :D I know it by its other & most used/known name--Lemon Balm. :)

It is a beautiful green plant, that is indeed easy to grow. It looks wonderful in pots too! :) I have grown it in the past and probably will again this summer too.

earthair

Sorry! force of habit- I always use latin name to avoid potential confusion, especially when dealing with medicinal plants which can have more than one common name across different countries...better safe than sorry ;)

Having a conversation about dead lamium album can be very confusing :joke:

Tanga

I grow my own lavender at both homes. I should consider trying to make my own lavender oil. Wonder how hard that would be? :confused:

You could try just "marinading" the flowers in a base oil for a few weeks...
Separating the oil out of the plant into essential components is probably a bit more involved/more equipment needed - orientated...

Years ago - I studied clinical Aromatherapy - and somewhere around here I have a Neal's Yard text book that has home diy with herbs in it... and probably a Jekka McVikar herb book as well...
Will take me a little while to find them... I'll post the book references here tonight when I find them.

:laugh: I was going to post that I have never heard of Melissa officinalis--but thought I'd google it first. Thank God for google! :D I know it by its other & most used/known name--Lemon Balm. :)

:) one of my favourite scents in the oil burner.

celticnoodle

Sorry! force of habit- I always use latin name to avoid potential confusion, especially when dealing with medicinal plants which can have more than one common name across different countries...better safe than sorry ;)

Having a conversation about dead lamium album can be very confusing :joke:
:laugh: no problem! and, I can see what you mean. :)

You could try just "marinading" the flowers in a base oil for a few weeks...
Separating the oil out of the plant into essential components is probably a bit more involved/more equipment needed - orientated...

Years ago - I studied clinical Aromatherapy - and somewhere around here I have a Neal's Yard text book that has home diy with herbs in it... and probably a Jekka McVikar herb book as well...
Will take me a little while to find them... I'll post the book references here tonight when I find them.

:) one of my favourite scents in the oil burner.
thank you, Tanga. I will look into how to do this. I did collect some of hte lavender blooms this past year and saved them to mix them in with epsom salt for a bath. I gave some out as Christmas gifts. I would love to plant more of them this year too if I can. They are very easy to grow, really. :)

Onaorkal

Oh I'm glad this thread exists, it's a really nice idea :)

Here are my favorite home remedies :

-ginger tea for nausea and upset stomach

-echinacea capsules when I feel a cold is coming/starting (it usually stops right then and there)

-eucalyptus essential oil for cold/blocked nose/sinuses

-herbal tea to help falling asleep (especially chamomile but I use a lot of different herbs)

-for mosquito bites : apply apple cider vinegar, let dry then apply a paste of baking soda mixed with water and let dry

DownUnderNZer

Mosquito bites: Ice cubes.

My doctor told me once and it really does work. Sometimes even iced tea bags if you want it on longer and do not want melted water everywhere.

DND :)

Oh I'm glad this thread exists, it's a really nice idea :)

Here are my favorite home remedies :

-ginger tea for nausea and upset stomach

-echinacea capsules when I feel a cold is coming/starting (it usually stops right then and there)

-eucalyptus essential oil for cold/blocked nose/sinuses

-herbal tea to help falling asleep (especially chamomile but I use a lot of different herbs)

-for mosquito bites : apply apple cider vinegar, let dry then apply a paste of baking soda mixed with water and let dry

Onaorkal

Mosquito bites: Ice cubes.

My doctor told me once and it really does work. Sometimes even iced tea bags if you want it on longer and do not want melted water everywhere.

DND :)

Unfortunately for me, most easy tricks don't work when I get bitten! I don't know if it's because we're all different or because I'm allergic to mosquito bites and I therefore need something a bit...stronger?

Anyway, I've tried most home remedies I could find online and only the vinegar + baking soda work very well. I've even strapped some garlic on a big one once and it did nothing huhu! Tried the tea bags and ice too and for the ice it only stopped the stinging feeling for the time it was on.

But your suggestions might help others! I find mosquitoes particularly annoying this year!