Is the Knight of Swords always bad news?

monalicica

This is sort of a general questions about the Knight of Swords. I tend to see this card, like other Knight cards, as a sign of an approaching message. But when I've gotten him before the news was always bad. In one instance I was let go from a job I just started for not being a "good fit" (which was strange because I've never had a problem with any other employers) and another time I got him my boyfriend broke up with me a few days later. I guess in both cases he was surrounded by other dominating cards like The Emperor and Judgement.

Now I get a little shaky if I ever see the Knight of Swords. Or is it just like any other reading where the message is just a matter of context of the other surrounding cards? Are there any other cards paired with the Knight of Swords that can indicate a positive upcoming message?

Zephyros

I would say you're right in him being a messenger, but as to the bad news I would, indeed, see it as a matter of context. Being both on the move, and Air, he can be brash, impulsive, unfocused and prone to rash decisions, so lack of commitment to see things through could be a connection between both your examples.

But still, context and flexibility are everything.

canid

Well, you know how everyone says you need to learn the cards for yourself? Perhaps this is what's happening with this card, specifically for you. However, the Knight of Swords, traditionally, is NOT always negative. Not at all. It could just mean 'go for it-conquer'. Bravado, courage (false or not, depends on the reading). But if you're consistently finding another meaning, I'd go with that & work with it. But no, it doesn't have to automatically be considered a negative at all. Impatient at times, yes, but that's not always a bad thing. Coming from the queen of procrastination...heehee...I wish I had some of that energy in my life.

tarotcognito

Context, context, context. :)

And, for me at least, it also depends on the deck I use. The Knight of Swords in my current go-to deck has an unmistakeable "bad news" feel to it, but not in the sense of "you will receive bad news." More like, this person is bad news. Literally. A deceiver, a manipulator and back-stabber who will lie, cajole and cheat and will go to great lengths to get what s/he wants. Deliberately calculating, underhanded and shady. The only time this person will really feel remorse or regret is if s/he gets caught in the act.

Evidently I'm talking about the extremely "blocked" and ill-favoured aspect of this card. Other cards in the reading would also factor in to determine the Knight's level of "badittude."

As far as "receiving bad news" goes, for me that tends to be more the domain of the Page of Swords.

daisy chain

when bad cards come along especially ;

those that have bad connotations for me;

i put them in the freezer

monalicica

Hmm, all interesting responses. I understand how the card can have interpretations like "brash" and "harsh". But what are the positive traits this card can have? Even when I go to websites for their general take on the card, it doesn't seem so good. This is a description intro from Keen.com:

"Are you avoiding the cold reality of a situation? Were you too blunt with someone who needed to be told some news in a more gingerly fashion? Is it past time for some plain talk between you and a lover? Were you so insulated from criticism that you developed a thin skin and are now having it pinched at the most casual comments from friends and strangers alike? Have you been dealing with a boss who seems to assign jobs that can never be delivered fast nor perfect enough?"

It goes on to say that "The Knight of Swords in the present position is an indicator that you are getting some unwanted news" and "[In the future position] it warns you of unreasonable demands in a negotiation that will soon commence."

Eek! This makes it sound like it's just as unnerving as a card like The Tower. Just so I have some more perspective of this card rather than "the bad news bearer", any more specific positive traits would be most appreciated :)

----
Also, I'm intrigued by the idea of "cleaning out" certain cards like Daisy Chain mentioned about putting them in the freezer. Is it true that sometimes your cards or even deck need a "freshening up"?

daisy chain

it more like you put the bad energy coming on ice you make it come more slowly so you can
;have better control of whats coming

tarotcognito

Here's the thing - and it really is only my spin, so please do with it as you see fit. :)

In life, there is good and there is not so good. That's just the way it is. And the Tarot reflects that. Sometimes there is bad news. Sometimes it hurts. Sometimes there is crap we would rather not deal with, and the odd once in a while, we get a real sh-t kicking that totally derails us.

The Swords suffer from a bad rap for no real reason other than some people aren't comfortable with conflict and have a difficult time addressing conflict resolution. That's just my opinion. But that doesn't make the Knight of Swords, or any other Sword or card, for that matter, an inherently "bad" card. It's our reaction to the cards that should give us reason to pause and reflect on the why of our actions, feelings and patterns of behaviour.

Look at the Cups. In spite of their relative popularity (at least by comparison to the Swords), they're not all romance and starry-eyed goodness. There's apathy, reality-avoidance, grief, letting go, moving on... that's a lot of heavy emotional crap in the Cups that is just as "bad" as the Swords' mental crap. And yet I would guess it's fair to say that generally speaking, most people tend to see the Cups as "good" cards.

It's all a matter of perspective. :)

Sorry for the slight tangent. I know I veered off the Knight of Swords highway a little. But on the positive side, this Knight is extremely intelligent, honest, a lively debater and insatiably curious. He's a terrific conversationalist and probably has a bit of an interest in the arts. His mind is always "on." You can hear the wheels turning even when he's sleeping. :p

Hope this helps a little.

ana luisa

I agree with all the takes. I personally love this Knight. He is my cut-through-the-crapper guy who solves difficult issues and brings peace to those who are "tangled" and have no guts to act.

canid

In our Happy-Happy New Age mindset, this Knight's qualities may be seen in a negative light. But here are just some of the possible positives:

A hero, has courage, is driven, is a conqueror (think about that one, historically, for good or ill), he/she has ironic wit, could mean law enforcement, fast travel, stormy weather (it IS necessary for the planet), is a superb communicator, etc. Most of these attributes are necessary to society & shouldn't automatically be viewed as negative.

In a pinch, I think I'd want him covering my back. He's there & he's watching.