Tarot Apps - Good idea?

rif

I use the basic three-carder because it seems most convenient in this small-screen format. :)

I think that more features are nice, but the more complex the app to target a specialized audience, the fewer sales it will likely make. I'd considered writing a tarot app myself, back when there were only one or two, but didn't feel it was worth the effort for me at that time. There are so many now, and few of them standout to me, from the screenshots or descriptions.

It would be fun to have something like OOTK or a big spread on the iPhone, but I don't know how often I'd really use it. The phone is mainly to fill in for a quick draw when cards aren't practical, and even then I don't do that too often. I've never bought any of the $9.99 apps, for example; I don't need one that badly. :) And I'm more interested in functionality than having a specific Llewellyn deck.

There is now a Marseilles app, which does a 5-card cross of majors, I think it uses a conver deck or something. I think that's good for the screen size.

The screen size is the limiting factor to my mind. The more cards, the more zooming is involved; and I think it would get hard to track the

I think capturing a reading is helpful and important. I've noticed this feature has been incorporated into more of the iPhone tarot apps.

gregory

arrgghh :bugeyed:

*leaves thread*

Greenwood

Thanks for the comments rif, that is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. I myself am wondering if tarot app creation is something worth getting involved in. I wouldn't even think about PC/Mac computer applications, that is TOO involved for me.

gregory said:
arrgghh :bugeyed:

*leaves thread*

Can I take it that you're not a fan of the tarot in this format Gregory?

gregory

Greenwood said:
Thanks for the comments rif, that is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. I myself am wondering if tarot app creation is something worth getting involved in. I wouldn't even think about PC/Mac computer applications, that is TOO involved for me.

Can I take it that you're not a fan of the tarot in this format Gregory?
Er - you might say that....... })

Greenwood

gregory said:
Er - you might say that....... })

Ha, well, that is also the type of thing I'm looking to find out. Do you mind if I ask what your reasons are for feeling that way?

cardlady22

Greenwood said:
Are they a replacement for the decks themselves?
NEVER. I love computers & CGI, but there is nothing like physically shuffling a deck. An app, for me, is best for when I don't have the time or space to lay out the cards myself.

Bernice

Greenwood: I wouldn't even think about PC/Mac computer applications, that is TOO involved for me.
I think less involved. But I suppose it depends on the language you're familiar with. I wouldn't know where to start to write for an ipod or iphone.

Bee :)

psyphy

I´ve had some Tarot and I Ging apps on my Treo for some time but only used them a few times. My senses started missing their little rituals. Same with journaling on the PC; no smells, no fumbling around with things, no ink dripping all over the place; no joy for that messy boy :D

gregory

Greenwood said:
Ha, well, that is also the type of thing I'm looking to find out. Do you mind if I ask what your reasons are for feeling that way?
I like CARDS. I do use Orphalese sometimes, yes - but that is on a big screen - and for a REAL READING - I don't; my favourite use is to compare cards and to save readings.

For itty bitty screens like Blackberries - you can't see the cards clearly enough - they MIGHT (though not for me) be OK for sort of - please no-one hit me; these are the best words I can come up with - more mechanical readings where - say - the 4 swords has a specifc meaning every time it shows up - but I don't work like that. I need to SEE the images and in detail. A weeny screen cannot offer that, nor can I sort of sink into the cards - I can't even do THAT fully with Orphalese, even though I can enlarge the cards as much as I like (until they get all pixellated, anyway.)

SkadisPhoenix

I have to agree with Gregory. I have orphalese, which I downloaded specifically so I could have Tarot of Dreams, and decide whether to buy it or not (the deck)... I will be, once my money issues are sorted, and I would much rather have a deck of cards which I can hold, feel and use than look at a phone screen/laptop screen.

And for all the convenience, which I'll grant that a phone IS, decks are not exactly hard to carry around, hell I have three decks and two books on me whenever I go anywhere... I have big bags though! ;)