The Lovers as feelings toward someone??

Richard

Many years ago, long before I began to read tarot, I went to an exclellent tarot reader in London, whom I knew, and asked him about future developments with a boy I was in love with at the time, who up until then had been just a friend. I kept asking if we were going to be together, and if he was as attracted to me (sexually ) as I was to him...the Lovers had come up but I still wouldn't take yes for an answer. He picked up the card, showed it to me, and said to me " Can you see this ? If I was a monkey, there is no way that I could misunderstand this....."
I'll never forget that.
Mythological interpretation. The Rider-Waite Lovers is Adam and Eve before the Fall. They hadn't invented clothing yet, and they were the only human beings. Eve is looking at the Angel; Adam is looking at Eve. The channel of communication is from Angel to Eve to Adam. Eve is more receptive to spiritual communication than Adam. This is why the snake (Nachash) "tempted" Eve rather than Adam. The Nachash was a spiritual agent to which Eve was attuned. Spiritually, Adam was not very bright. Their being naked does not pertain to sexual activity.

novenovembre

Mythological interpretation. The Rider-Waite Lovers is Adam and Eve before the Fall. They hadn't invented clothing yet, and they were the only human beings. Eve is looking at the Angel; Adam is looking at Eve. The channel of communication is from Angel to Eve to Adam. Eve is more receptive to spiritual communication than Adam. This is why the snake (Nachash) "tempted" Eve rather than Adam. The Nachash was a spiritual agent to which Eve was attuned. Spiritually, Adam was not very bright. Their being naked does not pertain to sexual activity.

I want to ask you the same question I asked thirteen....what card in the deck (RW esp) talks to you about sex ?

(See my post to thirteen in this thread)

tarotcognito

"Spiritually, Adam was not very bright." ROTFLMAO!!

Thank you, LRichard, for another enlightening and entertainining viewpoint. :)

I'm sure Thirteen will be back with an answer, but in the meantime I thought I'd offer my own quick toonie's worth.

Off the top of my head, cards in the RWS deck that speak to me directly about sex and sexuality are the Devil, the Empress, the Tower, the Knight of Wands, the Knight of Swords, and the Ace of Wands.

Indirectly, depending on other cards in context: all the Wand Courts, all the Knights, the Three of Cups, and the Lovers.

To me, generally speaking, the Lovers tends to be about "choice of the psyche" along the same lines as Thirteen described. However, I think it can also indicate the type of sexual attraction between two people that not only never dies, but actually increases over time. That, in itself, suggests a karmic bond of sorts, though it doesn't necessarily mean the two people will get married or otherwise be together in this lifetime.

Just my twos, of course. :)

novenovembre

"Spiritually, Adam was not very bright." ROTFLMAO!!

Thank you, LRichard, for another enlightening and entertainining viewpoint. :)

I'm sure Thirteen will be back with an answer, but in the meantime I thought I'd offer my own quick toonie's worth.

Off the top of my head, cards in the RWS deck that speak to me directly about sex and sexuality are the Devil, the Empress, the Tower, the Knight of Wands, the Knight of Swords, and the Ace of Wands.

Indirectly, depending on other cards in context: all the Wand Courts, all the Knights, the Three of Cups, and the Lovers.

To me, generally speaking, the Lovers tends to be about "choice of the psyche" along the same lines as Thirteen described. However, I think it can also indicate the type of sexual attraction between two people that not only never dies, but actually increases over time. That, in itself, suggests a karmic bond of sorts, though it doesn't necessarily mean the two people will get married or otherwise be together in this lifetime.

Just my twos, of course. :)
That's very interesting, Lokasenna. Some of them are new to me. I'll think about it.
Why all the wands courts ?

novenovembre

The history of the Lovers card, as I understand it, is that it was originally called "Love" and then "The Lover" meaning a person who falls in love. Yet in none of these do we see "sexual attraction" which one can feel without love--as we can love without feeling sexual attraction (I felt love at first sight for my cat, but I assure you no sexual attraction ;)).

You must excuse my ignorance about the history of tarot, but I'm asking myself : if the imagery over time has changed, couldn't the meaning have changed slightly as well ? I'm curious....and also .....I insist.....I have a feeling we are disagreeing on a purely academic level-which is OK, and very interesting- when the reality is that, the idea of attraction and falling in love is largely physical.....(not entirely, of course)

novenovembre

lookasenna

....and the knight of swords ????
No, I definitely don't agree with this one. Though I agree with most of the others, with reserve....

tarotcognito

That's very interesting, Lokasenna. I'll think about it.
Why all the wands courts ?
Well, for me, the Wands are about passion, impulse, spontaneity, drive, seizing the moment, kind of thing. All of these are naturally conducive to, "attuned with," sex and sexuality. Since all the Wand Courts naturally embody the essence of their suit, it stands to reason that all of them possess a natural sexual quality to some degree or another. The rank of the Court will determine how that spark expresses itself. The Page is curious, open and eager to explore. Very much represents how two people in the early stages of a sexual relationship are eager to find out what turns the other on. The Knight is go-go-go, wham-bam, thank you wow, let's do it again, this time UNDER the table! The Queen is almost mystical in her sexual approach, she is so in tune and comfortable with her entire sexual self. The King is the mature Alpha male, the one who is aware of his sexual magnetism but doesn't use it to charm, manipulate or control.

When immature and ill-aspected, all of the Wand Courts are, in my opinion, the most susceptible to cheating. Not because they're mean, selfish, immoral and just want to bang whoever and whatever, but because when they find themselves intensely attracted to someone, their brains stop functioning. They just don't stop to look before they leap. They get carried away by the intensity of the moment. The Knight especially is prone to such "Oops, why the hell did I do that?" type of moments, but is not the only Wand Court who can be potentially promiscuous.

This is all just my toonie's worth, of course. :)

tarotcognito

....and the knight of swords ????
No, I definitely don't agree with this one. Though I agree with most of the others, with reserve....
Again, this is just my take. :)

The Knight of Swords, for me, is just as sexual as the Knight of Wands, but his motives and approach are more calculated, pondered and deliberate. He is intellectually curious about everything, including sex, and will, in my opinion, try anything once. He has an openness of mind that is unmatched by the other Court cards. To him, sex is almost an experiment of sorts.

Again, just my twos. :)

novenovembre

Well, for me, the Wands are about passion, impulse, spontaneity, drive, seizing the moment, kind of thing. All of these are naturally conducive to, "attuned with," sex and sexuality. Since all the Wand Courts naturally embody the essence of their suit, it stands to reason that all of them possess a natural sexual quality to some degree or another. The rank of the Court will determine how that spark expresses itself. The Page is curious, open and eager to explore. Very much represents how two people in the early stages of a sexual relationship are eager to find out what turns the other on. The Knight is go-go-go, wham-bam, thank you wow, let's do it again, this time UNDER the table! The Queen is almost mystical in her sexual approach, she is so in tune and comfortable with her entire sexual self. The King is the mature Alpha male, the one who is aware of his sexual magnetism but doesn't use it to charm, manipulate or control.

When immature and ill-aspected, all of the Wand Courts are, in my opinion, the most susceptible to cheating. Not because they're mean, selfish, immoral and just want to bang whoever and whatever, but because when they find themselves intensely attracted to someone, their brains stop functioning. They just don't stop to look before they leap. They get carried away by the intensity of the moment. The Knight especially is prone to such "Oops, why the hell did I do that?" type of moments, but is not the only Wand Court who can be potentially promiscuous.

This is all just my toonie's worth, of course. :)

This is very interesting, indeed.....I knew about the knight of wands like that, but never thought about the others....that leads me to another interesting question....but probably not relevant in this thread....I'll think about where to post it.....