Crystal Study Group: Super Seven

wildchilde

no lepidocrocite??

making a separate post so as to not be too confusing, I hope.

I would like to revisit the issue The Crowed One brought up in the beginning of this thread about there not being any lepidocrocite in the Super Seven. Does anyone have any documentation on this? (I am not a gemologist, or any other "ologist")

I am mainly asking because everywhere I have seen the Super Seven these are all listed: Amethyst, Cacoxenite, Goethite, Lepidocrocite, Clear Quartz, Rutile, and Smoky Quartz.

I then ran across a site that has information on all different quartz and it also lists something called Super Eight that lists these components: Amethyst, Cacoxenite, Clear Quartz, Hematite, Strengite, Beraunite, Rockbridgeite and Limonite

Is it possible that Super Seven has been confused with Super Eight? This is starting to confuse me. Would really love to know whether or not Super Seven really does have Lepidocrocite in it.

wildchilde

sooooo, I have been poking around the vast reaches of the internet and still no hard and fast "proof" found of what Super Seven actually consists of (or may consist of is probably more apropos), or whether or not Lepidocrocite is involved. I did find this interesting little article that shed a bit of light on things, so thought I would share it here before turning in for the night. (morning?)

http://www.wire-sculpture.com/jewelry-making-blog/7288/profile-quartz-inclusions-1/

The entire article is worth reading if you like to know about different stones and inclusions, but for brevity's sake I will quote the most pertinent part of the article (at the end) regarding Super Seven:

Evidently the number "seven" includes all of the materials that can make up the stone: lepidocrosite, clear quartz, smoky quartz, amethyst, cocoxenite, goethite and hematite. However not all of these are present in each stone but metaphysically it is believed that each stone contains all of the properties of each "possible" inclusion because the stone was formed at least "near" all of the possible components.

I will also note that the author of this article (whose credentials are unknown to me) leaves out 'rutile' in favor of 'hematite', but does include lepidocrocite.

I honestly don't really care which materials make up the stone, but I wish I could find something somewhere that actually makes sense about this one just for my own peace of mind. I have a few more of these beads and if I should decide to create a jewelry piece later that includes some to sell I would like to be able to honestly describe what the stone does or doesn't possibly consist of to the best of my knowledge rather than just taking "the word" of marketers out there who want to sell the stone at inflated costs so will say anything they think people want to hear.

celticnoodle

Thanks. There was a South African site that had some of the most incredible crystals. That's where I saw the picture of this one and my instant reaction was, "That's my stone, so I had better buy it right away." I can't find that site online anymore, though, so I suspect they're no longer in business. They had such wonderful stones, I wish I could've afforded to do lots of shopping there.
oh interesting. I wonder if they did go out of business, why so? At least you've got your crystal though.

well, I changed the necklace and actually the only thing I removed was the iolite. while I had it apart, I did try all the suggestions everyone had given but none of them seemed right...So now the necklace consists of super seven, charoite, tanzan aura quartz, created sapphire, amethyst, and ametrine. Only thing is, I haven't yet had occasion to wear it! I may try it out on Sunday for a community reiki event at the local wellness center. I only wore it for a few minutes after I finished and it did seem quite warm...hope it is not going to be overwhelming. My camera broke but I will try to get pics soon.
so now you've got a super six! :D

OMG, these things are more addictive than tarot decks!!!
yes, it seems like they can be.

I'm waiting to see what my friend can find near her at the gem warehouse she lives by. She is going to check it out for me and let me know--and if she can find a Super Seven, then I'll send her some money for it. So, time will tell. However, I'm also going to check out the New Age Shop here on Sunday--when I go for a class there. You never know--they just may have something there. I am anxious to get one now.

shelikes2read

What's interesting is that Hematite, Cacoxenite, Goethite, and Lepidocrocite all are forms of iron oxide. I looked up all their chemical compositions, and there are a lot of similarities there.

Hematite: Fe2O3 a form of iron oxide
Cacoxenite: Fe3+24Al(PO4)17O6(OH)12·17(H2O) an iron aluminum phosphate
Goethite: FeO(OH), another iron oxide

Then there's Lepidolite. The chemichal formula is WAY different from that of the above minerals.
Lepidolite: (KLi2Al(Al,Si)3O10(F,OH)2

As you can see, there's no iron there (iron's chemical symbol is Fe). But according to Lepidolite's Wikipedia entry, it does occur in some high-temperature Quartz veins.

Meanwhile, Amethyst is created when there are traces of iron impurities where Quartz is forming.

So, after reading up on their Wikipedia entries, it's easy to imagine any of these minerals forming in the presence of the others.

I'm doing some looking around to see what's out there on the internet, as far as Super Seven info (and I'm most likely seeing the same pages that everyone else here is seeing). I'm with you -- I'm not inclined to hang on every word of someone who stands to gain financially from making a given stone seem as precious as possible. But I *am* curious to see what info is out there, Just Because.

Unfortunately, though, I don't think I'm going to find any GEOLOGICAL sites listing Super Seven under any name whatsoever. I think I'm only going to find New Age sites listing the stone. That frustrates me, because those are the people who often stand to gain the MOST from pumping up the reputation of their products.

So we can all do a lot of learning here, but we need to make sure our analytical-mind thinking cap is on when we do our research.

shelikes2read

sooooo, I have been poking around the vast reaches of the internet and still no hard and fast "proof" found of what Super Seven actually consists of (or may consist of is probably more apropos), or whether or not Lepidocrocite is involved. I did find this interesting little article that shed a bit of light on things, so thought I would share it here before turning in for the night. (morning?)

http://www.wire-sculpture.com/jewelry-making-blog/7288/profile-quartz-inclusions-1/

The entire article is worth reading if you like to know about different stones and inclusions, but for brevity's sake I will quote the most pertinent part of the article (at the end) regarding Super Seven:

I will also note that the author of this article (whose credentials are unknown to me) leaves out 'rutile' in favor of 'hematite', but does include lepidocrocite.

I honestly don't really care which materials make up the stone, but I wish I could find something somewhere that actually makes sense about this one just for my own peace of mind. I have a few more of these beads and if I should decide to create a jewelry piece later that includes some to sell I would like to be able to honestly describe what the stone does or doesn't possibly consist of to the best of my knowledge rather than just taking "the word" of marketers out there who want to sell the stone at inflated costs so will say anything they think people want to hear.

The author's credentials are as a lapidary and gemological expert. I've reposted various gem profiles of hers on here, most recently the "Sugilite and Lepidolite" thread. She has a gem and raw mineral collection that most of us would give our left arm for. :) Some of the gem profiles have included photos from her collection, and some of those stones are just amazing.

But she doesn't have a metaphysical background, though as is evidenced by this and other profiles, she will pass metaphysical descriptions along in the course of doing a profile. Wire-Sculpture.com, like a lot of gem sites, has begun including metaphysical notes on the stones it sells. (I know this because I get a lot of my jewelry supplies from them.)

I like seeing writeups from non-New-Age sources. I WANT to know the geology and science about a given stone, not just its metaphysical information. It's very helpful to us all to be aware of just how common or uncommon a particular stone actually is, so we can spot the difference between a genuinely valuable stone, and one whose value is being artificially inflated by virtue of a fancy backstory. This is important information.

celticnoodle

I asked a few people, including the shaman teacher at the New Age shop near me if they have ever heard of this crystal and none of them have. I am so very interested in finding it and buying one and hoping that I can also show the owner of that new age shop--as I think he would be very interested in carrying it once he learns about it and sees it for himself.

One of the other people in the class that I took yesterday at this shop, is a Reiki Master and had a chakra seven necklace on. She thought perhaps I was speaking of that, but they are different stones. Still a beautiful necklace and I was drawn to that as well. lol. these crystals are becoming more addicting then the tarot cards. :p At any rate, still on the lookout for one or both of these beauties.

I continue to do research on the Super Seven and found this site that seems to be very good in the information on the super seven. Thought I'd share it here:

http://www.healing-crystals-for-you.com/super-seven.html

shelikes2read

I looked on eBay to see what was available, and was stunned by some of the high prices. For those who've purchased Super Seven stones already: is that normal?

This is when I get aggravated while stone shopping: when I perceive something going on that has the appearance of a money grab. :( When a seller is charging insane levels of money for anything less than a GEM QUALITY stone, I hit the brakes.

What are some NORMAL price levels for this stone?

celticnoodle

Okay. I'm hooked. I've read most of the posts (still hae this last page to do) and I WANT THIS STONE!!! (or should I say "stones"?). sounds DELICIOUS!! :D

Well, I finally bought a Super Seven crystal! :thumbsup:

Luckily, I was able to purchase it from Delizt here on AT--where she is selling off her gemstones. It is GORGEOUS!!! It felt wonderful right from the get go too in my hands! I had a rough start to the day-(didn't sleep well last night at all) and then this afternoon it came in the mail. :D

Immediately upon opening the package, and unwrapping this gem, I was taken in with its gorgeous colors. It is a good sized stone--the size of a walnut. I'll take a picture of it later and add it here, so you can see my newest treasure.

I was cleaning house when it arrived, so after a few minutes of checking it out, I put it in my pocket and went back to cleaning house. However, I realized after about 20 minutes of having it in my pocket, I was no longer feeling in such a tired, sour mood! (sour due to non sleep). I was happy, relaxed and just plain feeling good! :D

I hope it continues to give me these feelings. I'm going to sleep with it on my bedside table and hope that it helps me to relax comfortably tonight so I can get a good nights sleep as I am in need of a full 8 or 9hrs. of sleep, I think.

I can't wait to use it for a mediation-(hopefully tomorrow!) and see how it helps me. I'm looking very forward to getting to know this delightful stone. :)

anyone else here use it in meditation? I can't recall reading this--but I only read a few pages and have to re-read this thread tomorrow to find out. I'm really excited to share my experiences and read what others have to say about it now that I own a piece of it. :)

wildchilde

anyone else here use it in meditation? I can't recall reading this--but I only read a few pages and have to re-read this thread tomorrow to find out. I'm really excited to share my experiences and read what others have to say about it now that I own a piece of it. :)

SO happy you got this from Delizt!! She is super awesome! (anxiously awaiting my shipment from her as well!!)

I don't use it for meditation per se, but I do use it during reiki sessions which is quite like meditation for me in a lot of ways. I have noticed that I do tend to get a lot more information about people's problems and how to help them (either with reiki symbols or with crystals); I also have begun to seriously experience the "eye" effect that Lotus mentioned...seeing (and having protection from) other peoples motives, and also seeing more clearly those that walk in the spirit world.

I do sometimes feel a bit of a "depression" after taking it off though as it has such a happy effect...plus I paired mine with charoite which is a lithium stone, so I am giving myself a double wammy! LOL

Can't wait to hear more about your experiences and see the pic. All of Delizt's stuff is amazing!