Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

celticnoodle

My hubby and I took a day trip to Washington, DC for our anniversary, and I had an absolute blast. We visited a couple of the Smithsonian museums, one of which houses the Smithsonian's gem and mineral collections.

Oh. My. Word. May I just say that if you have the least bit of interest in either jewelry gems OR natural minerals, this exhibit is an absolute must-see if you have any way to visit Washington, DC.

Happy Anniversary! and, a FANTASTIC city to visit! I grew up south of the D.C. area, but we took frequent trips to D.C. and especially to the Smithsonian Museums. This city is in my top five favorite U.S. cities to be in and explore! the museums alone keep it in the top 5 besides just being a really interesting and pretty city to explore.

The Smithsonian's official stance is that all these stone belong to all the American people. I would go even farther and say that because they are in a museum that (justifiably) attracts worldwide attention, they belong to ALL of us. They're your stones, and they're my stones too. Isn't it wonderful to know that we all have such an incredible crystal collection to draw from? :)
Yes, true. too bad we can't all get the chance to HOLD one or more of those crystals though (that we ALL own. ;) ). just for a few minutes!!! :p I'd LOVE to get my hands on a few these beauts! Can you imagine the energy you'd feel just HOLDING one of them?!

If you have a chance to go back, also check out the Insect Zoo. They've got some interesting critters in there.

If anyone has a chance to check out any of the museums in DC, DO SO. They are worth every minute--and I can't say every penny, because most if not all are free to get in.
I so agree! Washington D.C. is so interesting a place there is something for EVERYONE there! no way anyone could ever be bored in D.C. It is one of our favorite places to go to. easy to walk around (parking is tough, unless you're staying at a hotel right IN D.C. with a parking lot) and it's a very clean city too. pretty safe as well--and again, just so much to do there.

shelikes2read

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned that there is an enormous meteorite in the same room as the Hope Diamond. Turns out that I did in fact take a picture of the meteorite. Bear in mind that an adult could easily wear the ring-shaped stone as a belt, with room to spare. I'm astounded that anything of that size could crash-land from outer space without being smashed into smithereens.