Penny Dreadful

Teheuti

The last episode of Penny Dreadful (Showtime) included some wonderful Tarot moments. Season 2, Episode 3. Patti LuPone as the witch is truly outstanding.

https://youtu.be/LrQPKxwlBlQ

Shade

Love LuPone.

Shade

Also, clearly the merits of slapping around Tarot students during workshops is at least worth considering.

Sulis

What can I say about this episode other than Wow? Just Wow! So good, so moving... Couldn't stop thinking about it when I went to bed.. Eva Green and Patti Lupone.. It doesn't get much better than that...

SixDegrees

What can I say about this episode other than Wow? Just Wow! So good, so moving... Couldn't stop thinking about it when I went to bed.. Eva Green and Patti Lupone.. It doesn't get much better than that...

As I person who has watched the series from the start as mostly a guilty pleasure (so gothic! so melodrama! so camp!), I have to admit that this episode was actually one of the finest pieces of television I have seen in general. It was perfectly assembled and executed, beautiful and moving from start to finish. The tarot moments were just icing for me.

Sulis

As I person who has watched the series from the start as mostly a guilty pleasure (so gothic! so melodrama! so camp!), I have to admit that this episode was actually one of the finest pieces of television I have seen in general. It was perfectly assembled and executed, beautiful and moving from start to finish. The tarot moments were just icing for me.
This is exactly how I feel about the whole series and this episode especially...
My great grandma was a village midwife / herbalist / layer out of the dead (a witch in other words ;)) and I didn't find out about her until a few years ago... Women around the world are still treated as they were here.. Frightening stuff...

The tarot part was wonderful too.. I wish the deck was a nicer one though..

Teheuti

I saved it and will watch again and again. Yes, it was a stupendous show - an exquisite short-story in itself, well-written, beautifully acted, with sparkling references to Tarot, about women and witches. What more could anyone ask? An historic deck would have been nice, but I'll take what I can get.

smw

This is exactly how I feel about the whole series and this episode especially...
My great grandma was a village midwife / herbalist / layer out of the dead (a witch in other words ;)) and I didn't find out about her until a few years ago... Women around the world are still treated as they were here.. Frightening stuff...

The tarot part was wonderful too.. I wish the deck was a nicer one though..

So was mine! Though an urban midwife. That side of my family come from the Old Kent Rd, which was a tough deprived part of London. She provided free maternity care for women who had no money and apparently was a tough cookie who would kick out husbands who tried to climb back in their wives beds too soon after giving birth!

This series sounds great :), I think I will go straight for the box set .

Teheuti

This series sounds great :), I think I will go straight for the box set .
It's pretty dark and definitely strange - not for everyone. This one episode is a masterpiece.

smw

It's pretty dark and definitely strange - not for everyone. This one episode is a masterpiece.

thanks, I think I have seen just a season one set that isn't too expensive, I'll try that first.

eta..oops, just bought it and then saw some pic reviews- it does look gory! Oh well I'll give it to my mother in law for xmas if I don't like it :laugh: