Intuition - what is it to you?

momentarylight

Whoaaa! You just made it less clear to me! :laugh:

I was talking about UNconcious (Jung invented the word I think) means ; not conscious.

What is 'sub-concious' ? As someone said around here recently ( ahem! ... excuse me .. ahemLriccradahem ... sorry) 'Subconcious? What's that?"

But sure we can make up words... who said we cant. So, what does subconscious mean? I guess it means below the surface not 'Un" or gone, but I see it as 'just consciously detectuble by symbol, analogy or 'through the veil' ... aww heck! I am repeating old posts on intuition (I have made heaps of them ) ... BUT

" Higher Sub-conscious ???? Dude! :laugh: what's that?

Do you mean 'super-conscious' ...? If so then I would agree ... some 'intuition' seems to connect through the 'super-conscious' (for a better definition see 'Exo psychology' - Brain circuit 8 ) where consciousness is 'non-local' ( Teslas 'discovery' of the a/c electrical generator is a perfect example ... some 'autistic' people have this ability as well)

Some 'intuition' may even come through the 'Super-Ego' (depending on ones natal arrangements and transits with the outer planets).

Continuing the psychological analogy some types of 'intuition' may come through the 'Id'.

Perhaps now my objection to giving the same validity to what anyone calls intuition is a bit clearer?

What about 'soul'? (us westerners usually select spirit over soul - in the classic sense) another type of intuition is associated with the soul ... and art , balance proportion that feels right 'intuitively' ... the soul can 'muse' and 'intuition' can be a general 'wave', form or feel, a constant ongoing awareness of intuiting the subtle surroundings . All our main myths in one way or another is about the loss of the soul woman animus psyche and how we get it back and reconnect and honour it. So it need not be a FLASH! ... (not that there is anything wrong with that :) ... just a different dynamic).

I think you complicate things a lot :).

k_png

Whoaaa! You just made it less clear to me! :laugh:

I was talking about UNconcious (Jung invented the word I think) means ; not conscious.

What is 'sub-concious' ? As someone said around here recently ( ahem! ... excuse me .. ahemLriccradahem ... sorry) 'Subconcious? What's that?"

But sure we can make up words... who said we cant. So, what does subconscious mean? I guess it means below the surface not 'Un" or gone, but I see it as 'just consciously detectuble by symbol, analogy or 'through the veil' ... aww heck! I am repeating old posts on intuition (I have made heaps of them ) ... BUT

" Higher Sub-conscious ???? Dude! :laugh: what's that?

Do you mean 'super-conscious' ...? If so then I would agree ... some 'intuition' seems to connect through the 'super-conscious' (for a better definition see 'Exo psychology' - Brain circuit 8 ) where consciousness is 'non-local' ( Teslas 'discovery' of the a/c electrical generator is a perfect example ... some 'autistic' people have this ability as well)

Some 'intuition' may even come through the 'Super-Ego' (depending on ones natal arrangements and transits with the outer planets).

Continuing the psychological analogy some types of 'intuition' may come through the 'Id'.

Perhaps now my objection to giving the same validity to what anyone calls intuition is a bit clearer?

What about 'soul'? (us westerners usually select spirit over soul - in the classic sense) another type of intuition is associated with the soul ... and art , balance proportion that feels right 'intuitively' ... the soul can 'muse' and 'intuition' can be a general 'wave', form or feel, a constant ongoing awareness of intuiting the subtle surroundings . All our main myths in one way or another is about the loss of the soul woman animus psyche and how we get it back and reconnect and honour it. So it need not be a FLASH! ... (not that there is anything wrong with that :) ... just a different dynamic).

Ops. Sorry about that, but yeah, I was referring to the "unconscious" as you mentioned. I thought they were interchangeable.

I do use the terms "soul" and "spirit" interchangeably too. But soul refers more likely to be in a human body(a container), whereas spirit usually is a wondering one.

But like what LRichard said;

'Subconscious' is a concession to neo New Agers who (1) think that it sounds cool and maybe even Freudian or (2) want to avoid the use of Jung's term 'unconscious' because it sounds disrespectful to what some people want to imagine to be their 'spirit guide' or whatever. After all, 'unconscious' is something that happens when you get hit over the head. It has happened to me a couple of times. Not very pleasant.

ETA. Some neo New Agers apparently think of the unconscious as being essentially the autonomic nervous system, whereas the subsconscious is the non-regulatory part of the unconscious where things like dreams happen and unexpected thoughts originate.

I do think subconscious(or super-conscious) is a better term.

But of course, Jung refers it to as "unconscious".
http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/unconscious

firecatpickles

I think intuition is different from the activities and qualities you mention :heart:. See the google definition above. And the definition is of intuition, not the things you mention.

That wasn't my point. My point is that I am not convinced that any of the things that purported define intuition in the quote refer specifically to intuition. All the qualtites mentioned in the quote can apply generally to any emotion.

I am not ruling out entirely the possibility that intuition exist because I have experienced it through others as well as personally; I am merely pointing out that the definition given is not specific enough for me. I think there may be another more specific, (more scientific?) explanation, definition or description of it.

Personal experience is not analysis.

I do think subconscious(or super-conscious) is a better term.

But of course, Jung refers it to as "unconscious".

This works for me much better, for instance.

momentarylight

That wasn't my point. My point is that I am not convinced that any of the things that purported define intuition in the quote refer specifically to intuition. All the qualtites mentioned in the quote can apply generally to any emotion.

I am not ruling out entirely the possibility that intuition exist because I have experienced it through others as well as personally; I am merely pointing out that the definition given is not specific enough for me. I think there may be another more specific, (more scientific?) explanation, definition or description of it.

Personal experience is not analysis.

This works for me much better, for instance.

We always have to be careful how others use words and find meaning. Perhaps my reply to Selene in post 13 is a better response to your query.

What Silver Birch means by intuition is much the same as the formal definition.

k_png

I understand that ... all cultures through all time ... lots of us have said that.

I never disputed the overall concept of spirit, just what it means in that post .. that's why I took the term out of my definition. (if we add soul/spirit to the deffinition we could use the 4 types of Hebrew soul or the dozen Ancient Egyptian)

Its just the vague ness of the term spirit as used, the none defining of what intuition is, etc, blah blah ... I wasn't going to blah, that's why my post 2 was such stripped down bare bones, it covers spirit if you read it closely. If 'spirit' communicates consciously that isn't called intuition .

If parts of our consciousness are non-local (and exo psychology, shamans, religion and quantum physics seem to suggest they are) then 'consciousness' does not die at physical death (I mean isn't that the whole basis of some type of afterlife experience ???).

Did you read my comments on soul? What makes you think I do not believe in a 'spiritual nature that survives death', why cant that vaguely undefined (in the west) 'spiritual nature' have a component of consciousness?

I get what you mean there, I can see your distinction between soul and spirit from your post.

How about replacing "spirit" with the word "soul" for the quote?

Richard

........I do think subconscious(or super-conscious) is a better term.......
Some people distinguish between the subconscious and superconscious, the subconscious being the intermediary between the superconscious and ordinary consciousness. In the RWS Tarot, the superconscious may be represented by angels. Also, from what I gather, one's spirit guide may be the superconscious. Also, I think it may be identified with what occultists call the holy guardian angel (HGA).

BodhiSeed

For me personally, I call it a "spiritual nudge." When I meditate, I can connect with an inner resource (not ego) that gives me guidance, information, etc. But sometimes I get an idea or thought that seems to come out of the blue (the nudge) when I'm not meditating, yet I think it comes from the same place.

ravenest

I think you complicate things a lot :).

Perhaps I do moemtarylight ... perhaps your cat meows a lot ... and your dog barks a lot.

I am ruled by 'Mercurius' with a Large dose of Neptune.

Some things are simple, some are complex.

Each Tao has its Yin and Yang.

The Tibetan Buddhists 'complicate' spiritual things and divisions and type of soul and conscious experience a lot, as did the Ancient Egyptians, The Hebrew, The Aztecs, The Roman Catholic Church, the oldest extant culture in the world; the Australian Aboriginal (whose kinship system is the MOST complex one to study ... it actually knocked me out of Anthropology studies at University ... {actually, Sydney University complicated things a lot :) } but it enabled them to live on this content for over 40,000 years ... in environmental balance ... amidst climate change, desertification, glaciation, oceans rising, mass animal extinction) .

I am a complex person ... life is actually quiet complex. It doesn't worry me, it fascinates me. Not that I mind, because sometimes grasping the essence of something can also be quiet remarkably simple. Or just 'sitting' or 'being' can be blissfully simple.

Perhaps the tarot teaches us both in Fool and Magician ?

momentarylight

Just a gentile reminder that the definition below is the generally accepted definition of intuition in the English language. It is consistent with what Silver Birch meant when he used the term.

in·tu·i·tion
/ˌint(y)o͞oˈiSHən/

Noun
The ability to understand something immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning.
A thing that one knows or considers likely from instinctive feeling rather than conscious reasoning.

Synonyms
insight - instinct

ravenest

Ops. Sorry about that, but yeah, I was referring to the "unconscious" as you mentioned. I thought they were interchangeable.

Oh, they will be ... before long.

I do use the terms "soul" and "spirit" interchangeably too.

We tend to ..unless we start to examine the terms and our concepts of them a bit
then ... we come up with some type of distinction, like ;

But soul refers more likely to be in a human body(a container), whereas spirit usually is a wondering one.

Is it? ... Let's not go there. :)

But you made the distinction that soul is something more personal than spirit and that is usually evident in some form of most beliefs; there is a more personal possessive side to the concept of soul, spirit seems more pervasive .

Above (in a post) I was talking about how (only 2 of the types of) intuition might manifest through either, the undulating 'soul based' intuition of constant 'awareness in harmony' ... a type of 'female' or I should maybe say Yin / soul (that both men and women have) as a polarity of the quick sudden intuitive insight flash of 'Intuitive spirit' - Yang "bright positive masculine principle"

But like what LRichard said;
I do think subconscious(or super-conscious) is a better term. But of course, Jung refers it to as "unconscious".

Super conscious or subconscious MIGHT be better terms if we are not talking about the unconscious.

Jung isn’t restricted by the term either , some aspects of ‘super conscious’ may relate to Jung’s Super Ego and some aspects of ‘sub conscious’ may relate to his (and Freud’s) ‘Id’.