True or false?

Grayce

Just to add my $0.02, I have found that when I really, truly need a new deck to shake things up and have specifically requested a certain deck, it comes to me. Both my decks that I use most often were given to me as gifts and those are the two I feel most comfortable. I gave my first deck, which I bought for myself, away as a gift. This sort of divine intervention may be the origin of the "rumor" you heard.

Amsonia

I did not know about this "rule" before I started learning Tarot...but I got my first deck as a gift. I guess I would say that I need to pay it forward and give someone else their first deck. Maybe that is more what it is about...not keeping track of if you received a deck as a gift, but if you have given some. Sort of a "do unto others" kind of deal. Anyway, I have been thinking about sending a deck to one of my friends who doesn't have any, but expressed interest in getting one when I did a reading for her on New Years Eve.

Ryver

On the cynical side, this could be a rumor started to prevent too many newcomers from going out to buy decks for themselves. It would help to keep the "competition" down if only those already "initiated" could decide how many to initiate. it wouldn't be the first time groups of people in-the-know created myths and rules that "coincidentally" kept themselves in a more powerful position.

Marlo

Such rumours work for people who decide to feed them in their own life. It is unbelievable how we sometimes stack obstacles on our way by thinking it may help us to stay on the right path.

I have a very superstitious friend who ritualises a lot her use of tarot. It looks pretty obsessional and i doubt it gives better results at the end.

Teheuti

Most rituals originally had some kind of energetic significance behind them, but when divorced from that it's largely meaningless and occasionally needlessly harmful.

nisaba

Most rituals originally had some kind of energetic significance behind them, but when divorced from that it's largely meaningless and occasionally needlessly harmful.

Being at the retail end of things, I've seen the "harm" this superstition creates at first hand. People hear of it, and believe it's bad karma to buy a deck.

So they shoplift it instead. Simple! No bad karma, and they get to save money as well.

<scathing look>

Holly doll

Being at the retail end of things, I've seen the "harm" this superstition creates at first hand. People hear of it, and believe it's bad karma to buy a deck.

So they shoplift it instead. Simple! No bad karma, and they get to save money as well.

<scathing look>

True - but the "magick" won't work; especially if you have your legs crossed & wear metal while reading on the back of your Harley!!

In all seriousness - the rates of boosted card decks due to this myth - (we asked a couple of the ones we caught; as well as taking a poll of the regulars) from the shop I worked in was quite large & at one stage ordering rather than stocking them was explored. After a while the owner got a copy of each deck she stocked, laminated a few Majors & Minors & put it into a folder for purchasers to flick through; & kept the decks behind the counter. Adyar bookshop had a similar thing & their decks were in locked cabinets...

nisaba

Don't you know that you can only read with your Thoth deck on a Harley? It's the only deck demonic enough to cope with a Hog.

(A friend of mine used to ride a motor scooter, and started a "bikie gang" for scooter-riders, called the Squealing Piglets because they sure ain't ridin' Hogs!)

Holly doll

Don't you know that you can only read with your Thoth deck on a Harley? It's the only deck demonic enough to cope with a Hog.

(A friend of mine used to ride a motor scooter, and started a "bikie gang" for scooter-riders, called the Squealing Piglets because they sure ain't ridin' Hogs!)

Bahahahahahahaha!!!!!

nisaba

<allows herself dry smile>