The "Activist" of the Major Arcana

elena_jaymz

Death as well can be an activist, but a very radical one :D

Debra

Cripes. It's gotta be the magician!

Hermes! He knows how to make things happen, inspires the audience, now you see him, now you don't, whoosh....wait there he is, doing magic...trickster, magician, Mr. Powerball himself.

He's the only one with infinite potential and flexibility and the ability to set and follow a meaningful direction of his own--to know his own will and manifest it.

Others have powers but they are stuck in their seats, so to speak. They are one-trick ponies.

The Magician makes stuff happen.

So I vote magician.

Pipistrelle

What an interesting question!

For me, it's Strength. :) She of the small voice, who isn't afraid to take on the fearsome lion. Her activism is fueled by belief in her cause and the courage to persist despite huge opposition. Though she may be beaten time and time, she never gives up. She is softly-spoken but persuasive, gentle but firm, seemingly weak but with an inner strength that can change the world.

Amanda

The Magician probably has the vigor and the political skill.

danieljuk

I see it as the Hanged Man, he has sacrificed his life for his cause and is now being hung being accused of being a traitor! of course the card is not actually about life or death, it's about being kept in that position to gain a new perspective but I am interested in how he let himself get in that position. The Magician + Hanged Man would be a very strong combination an activist for me, the action and the sacrifice!

Thirteen

Great points...still...?

Hermes! He knows how to make things happen, inspires the audience, now you see him, now you don't, whoosh....wait there he is, doing magic...trickster, magician, Mr. Powerball himself.
Very good points, however is that really an activist? If we talking "activist" as in changing the world, then the Magician is little too self-centered for that. Even Hermes, messenger of the gods, WORKS for those in charge--he isn't in charge himself and doesn't want to be.

I mean, he's certainly *very* active with his hands and tricks and patter. But does that make him an "activist?" Is Tom Sawyer an activist if he talks others into painting the fence for him? I'm not so sure about that. Thoughts?
I see it as the Hanged Man, he has sacrificed his life for his cause and is now being hung being accused of being a traitor!
Again, very good point, but is an act of surrender "pro-active" enough for that label? We will grant that the Hanged Man doesn't surrender because he's given up, but to make a point. But he does surrender. He stops "acting" and lets others do acts upon him. And THAT makes the point. So is this one act "activist" enough or do we presume that an activist is one who actually "acts" and keeps on acting?

Thoughts?

rwcarter

Why does there have to be a single activist in the Majors?

Debra

Very good points, however is that really an activist? If we talking "activist" as in changing the world, then the Magician is little too self-centered for that. Even Hermes, messenger of the gods, WORKS for those in charge--he isn't in charge himself and doesn't want to be.

I mean, he's certainly *very* active with his hands and tricks and patter. But does that make him an "activist?" Is Tom Sawyer an activist if he talks others into painting the fence for him? I'm not so sure about that. Thoughts?

You're describing the difference between an activist...and a leader!

The trumps have several leaders, specialized (political leaders, religious/institutional leaders, military leaders...)

PAMUYA

For me an activist is someone who is pushing their agenda, tries to teach you to see things their way, which they believe is the moral or the right thing to do. Someone who is active within the community.

I fell the Heirophant fits that bill.

Thirteen

An Activist need not be a Leader, but I think all Leaders are Activists...

You're describing the difference between an activist...and a leader!
Is there a difference? Leaders decide something ought to be done. Leaders act to do it. Leaders inspire others to act as well to make sure those things are done. It seems to me, that the word "activist" describes a leader in most cases.

Putting it another way, activist, to me, is a person who acts with a purpose in mind and set things in motion. And while I can concede that there are activists who are not leaders (Rosa Parks comes to mind), I don't know that a person can be a leader without also being a an activist. I *do* think that there are people who can take action, or inspire others into action without being either a leader OR an activist (i.e. Tom Sawyer getting others to paint the fence for him).

But why don't you tell me: can you offer an example of a leader who was not an activist? :confused: