The De-Enabling Thread

gregory

It is extremely much like all the other Rider-Waites but more so. If you want to go for a strange one try the New Vision version instead - at least you get a different view.... (any help ?)

Little Baron

If I have the right one, the colouring on the Golden RWS is naff. Looks like it has been coloured in by someone in a blindfold.

LB

Alta

The Golden Rider-Waite seems almost coarse to me. By which I mean, fineness of line is lacking. Try the Radiant instead.

Apocalipstick

It looks a bit like construction paper collage, smoothed over in Photoshop. Kinda like an upscale grade-school project where the parents do all the work.

Not very appealing because of that. The Radiant looks better.

jackdaw*

To play devil's advocate I will say that I like the Golden better than the Radiant, but then I really really dislike the Radiant.

You have the Universal Waite, I see, and list it as one of your favourites. That one has such delicate colouring that I think you'll be quite let down by the Golden, which is applied in a heavy hand. Even some of the lines are redone much too heavily. The overall effect is a little coarse.

Apocalipstick

I see another de-enabling in my future. Or not.

Um... the Victorian Romantic, anyone? And the Fantastic Menagerie.

I'm not crazy about the VR, but I know I'll probably use it. The FMT is just different enough. And, boy, do they both have production values to spare. That alone is worth the purchase, on some level.

Help!

Debra

Apocalipstick said:
Um... the Victorian Romantic, anyone? And the Fantastic Menagerie.

Get a grip, lipstick--we're good but we're not magicians here!

Apocalipstick

Too much to hope for, huh? :D

Edit: I'll try to de-enable myself, then.

Well, there ARE some syrupy moments in the VR, but that only works with the period. And it's so well-executed.

Grrr, this does not work! I'm not even touching the FMT.

Debra

fuggedabbodit! I can't speak the the Menagerie but the VR is a perfect reading deck and beautiful to look at, as well.

jackdaw*

Cardstock cardstock cardstock.

I find the VR feels a little flimsy.

As for the FMT, while I love the artwork, I find it is not a deck that is easy to read with.