"Pimp my Rider!"

canid

nisaba said:
It's always possible that at that very moment I was hunched over cards, applying gold to Cups and Pentacles everywhere, as well as nearly all crowns (I chose not to glitter up the Four Pentacles and Tower crowns) and any angelic hair that was blonde ... gah - you should see my Judgement card: it's *very* glitzy, and looks *fabulous* in a cheap whoring kind of way! I'd be suitably afraid of any angel that manifested at me looking like that.

Wouldn't that be cool. Kinda like that 'being watched' thread recently. Woohoo Nisaba...seriously, don't you think about this place sometimes at odd or out of context times? And sometimes the people here are much more real than, erm, reality. I'm not being facetious, they ARE more real than the general population. In regards to things that 'matter', IMHO, things that are...but I digress, sorry.

I want to see pics!

Morwenna

Rasa said:
I'm curious about the longevity of the nail polish on the cards, from a practical perspective.... I hope it wouldn't flake and chip off too quickly with shuffling.

I don't know how it would affect areas with print, but many years ago I put little dabs of nail polish on the borders of the "tops" of my mini-Marseilles minors so I could read reversals. And the dabs are still there and still shiny (they were metallic-pearl colors).

nisaba

canid said:
And sometimes the people here are much more real than, erm, reality. I'm not being facetious, they ARE more real than the general population. In regards to things that 'matter',
The people who are not so real just don't get that. There are folks in my community (the not-so-real kind) who don't understand that, and simply can't wrap their minds around the fact that some of the people here are more real to me.

And I'm going to get some varnish, The deck is "finished" but needs more shine. Glitter looks less impressive on a matte background. Photos later: varnish first (wehn I have money), then scans. could be up to 10 days.

jackdaw*

Oooh, nail polish ... I might be able to do that. I was intrigued by nisaba's project, but I am such a klutz I know I would mess it up if brushes were involved. What I'd REALLY like are some good glitter markers that would fix permanently to the laminated cards and still be sparkly and shiny.

am looking long and hard now at my Williams Minchiate, which I think is crying out for a trim and a pimping out ...

Nisaba, looking forward to seeing your scans, whenever you are able. Does it make you like the Rider Waite any better? :laugh:

nisaba

jackdaw* said:
Nisaba, looking forward to seeing your scans, whenever you are able. Does it make you like the Rider Waite any better? :laugh:
Not really. I keep seeing where Pixie made mistakes, like colouring the bit of Judgement's trumpet that is in front of the angel's face the same colour as the face, not the same colour as the rest of the trumpet. She made a lot of such mistakes - that's just the one in the forefront of my mind at the moment. So in that sense I actually like it even less (although I'll still teach with it).

I'm thinking of gilding the edges, too.

And getting varnish, which I won't be able to do for a while. I don't think I will use it - it's too damned heavy even now, without the varnish, but it could be a fun teaching deck. Perhaps I'll devote the last lesson of any future course to pimping the students' decks: bring in newspaper and tissues and solvent and glue and sparkles and paints and ...

nisaba

And I've GOT to do something about that tragic back! Suggestions? The first person to say "Tartan" gets ground up in my meat-mincer and fed to the cat.

AJ

that might be where sharpies come in. Can you do a connect the dots kind of drawing? I can't remember exactly what that back looks like but I know a clever woman like you can come up with something.

An idea for a class would be to give each student a different plain card to pimp.
Before they start, write one paragraph what that card might mean in a reading (you could even give everyone the same question for their card to answer.
Then pimp, then do a second paragraph.

One of the drawing exercises in Drawing From The Right Side Of The Brain is to draw a image in the book, only do it upside down. Believe me, everyone can do that and be impressed with their result. That would be a fun project after the pimping, with a third paragraph on their reading question. Because each exercise forces you to see things your eye ignores in the regular course of a viewing.

To get back on subject and the reason for my post, one of the things i tried on a sample card was crackle, like old paint? It was beautiful but two problems, it was enough moisture to actually deform the card, and it is thick enough to crack off under use.

Kissa, your images were beautiful, thank you for sharing, and I don't know why you took them down, but I'm glad you did, for their sakes.

jackdaw*

nisaba said:
And I've GOT to do something about that tragic back! Suggestions? The first person to say "Tartan" gets ground up in my meat-mincer and fed to the cat.
Contact paper? I guess they must call it the same there as here - the thin vinyl-y paper with adhesive backs that some people use to line kitchen cupboard shelves? I've used it once before. There can be a bit of a problem with it "bubbling", but scraping it down flat with a bank card or ID card works fairly well.

jackdaw*

Ok. So am going through the trimmed Minchiate now, and making a mental shopping list of colours I want. Mostly I want just the glitter, like the clear nail polish with sparkles in it, so I think that might be the way to go. I want a deep blue or black, a blue, a gold, a silver, a green, a red and possibly a pearlescent white.

But the thing is, I don't do well with brushes. Not at all. I'm afraid even nail polish brushes might be beyond me. I'm so clumsy even with pencils! Any suggestions?

morticia monroe

Dammit. What led me here this morning? I have so much housework to do, having been at the RS leaving my man and son alone here. Need I tell you what didn't get done? Basically everything. I'm thinking about putting fire to the place and just starting over. Much less work in the long run. Still it was good to see their emaciated faces....(only a male would starve to death six feet from the fridge).

But here I am, drooling and dreaming. I have SO many decks I don't use, and a bag full of nail polishes,,one is irridescent clear with diamonds ground up in it. Others are pearly, others glitter. One is even a "mood" polish that changes color with warmth.
I'm in the mood for something rude...now to find a sacrifice. This may get really ugly folks, but then again, I may just surprise myself.