Breaking in a New Deck - what are your habits?

Jes

So, Just wondering how everyone else breaks in their new decks.

I received my new Legacy of the Divine last night, as it’s the first new deck I have ever owned, hence why I'm curious. (My other was a gift, and well used)

Last night, I opened my new deck, and went through the cards one by one, keeping them in order. I slept with them under my pillow and have placed 3 of my favourite stones in the little bag with it, until I get a new pouch for them.

Tonight, I think I will shuffle them for the first time. And this in its self is exciting to me. Feeling the cards last night was amazing, they are stunning and I am already connecting with the images, but shuffling tonight will really be special to me. (that sounds so pathetic hey lol)

What are everyone else's habits and 'breaking in' traditions? I would love to know.

The crowned one

hmmm, I had never thought about it until now!

I shuffle through the cards, if I do not like them more them a lot, I put them back in the pack to be traded off, I do not even look at each card, just shuffle through them.... this is with modern decks. If I like them, I look at each card, if it passes that test it goes into my temporary collection, if someone chooses the deck I will read with it for them.

Antique decks, I gloat, giggle, share a pint and dance around with the deck so to speak. I like the old ones. After that I may read with them, or just appreciate them.

Jes

hehehe, I will admit that I wooted, giggled and did a littled jig when I got this new one. It's a big thing, a new deck for me. I have been looking forward to it since I ordered it 3 weeks ago. this deck just called to me and I HAD to have it!

thanks for sharing :)

The crowned one

Jes, my last WooWo deck was a few weeks ago. I found a very very nice White box "A" Llewellyn Hong-Kong Thoth for 45 bucks at a antique store, complete with sales card. I was thrilled :)

Gia

What is more fun than obsessing over a new deck!?!?!
I pass a selenite wand over the deck before going through each card in order...seeing what images from the card calls to me, examining each one. Once I've done that, I shuffle and give myself a reading with the deck...then I make a special bag with coordinating fabric for it and it's ready for public readings!

Jes

I'm glad that others have woowo decks too :)

I'm even more eager to get home and shuffle them now. I have them here at work with me, but dont want to put them out and be tempted to play with them lol

nisaba

Jes said:
So, Just wondering how everyone else breaks in their new decks.
I shuffle and use it - that's all it needs. Sleeping with it doesn't get you used to the symbolism, use does <smile>.

Jes

nisaba said:
Sleeping with it doesn't get you used to the symbolism, use does <smile>.

True, But I dreamt about it most of the night, So for me, I suppose there is something there. I love looking at the images, and shuffling will help with getting to know the deck.

Its interesting to see how different everyone is :)

Fly My Pretty

The last deck I recieved & pretty much the only one i've bought is the Legacy deck as well :)

As soon as I got it I just went through looking at the cards & pretty much just saying hello & introducing myself to them (does that sound a little wierd?)

I slept with them under my pillow & the next day I did a deck interview spread with them.

I'm waiting on my new Fantastic Menagerie to arrive any day now & i'll most likely do the same thing, but you never know until it's in your hands I guess.

Jes

Fly My Pretty said:
As soon as I got it I just went through looking at the cards & pretty much just saying hello & introducing myself to them (does that sound a little wierd?)

I slept with them under my pillow & the next day I did a deck interview spread with them.

Hi There Fly My pretty. Does not sound a little weird at all. I did just that last night, even the sleeping with it :)

I'm excited for you about the arrival of your new deck, maybe you could let me know how you break it in?, and we can see if its different to the "how"of your legacy deck :)