Breaking in a New Deck - what are your habits?

Egypt

breaking in

I like my cards stiff and shuffle them bye spreading them out and mixing them up, or taking the cards in sections and mixing them that way. My cards are easily scratched or ruined so i have to be delicate with them lol. I have the gilded deck.

Sar

I sleep with them and get drunk with them for a weekend.

Mishka13

habits

I usually go through it immediately. I cannot help it. Then I shuffle them a few times and tell them their knowledge is welcome. I sort them either by suit or in the shape of a pentagram (upright). Sometimes I put a clear crystal quartz with them for a while to dispell any negative energy from their travels. Mishka

AJ

first thing do is order the cards, make sure none are missing or misprinted.
You'd be surprised how off that happens in new shrinkwrapped decks.
then I work with them for a week.

Jes

Sar said:

This is by far my favourite answer so far! Love your work Sar! :)

nisaba

Sar said:
Yes, but you like easy decks. <grin>.

Sar

I saw later that answer could be interpreted in different ways, but the point is that this method of Sar actually works. For me. Perhaps not for any body else.

Melissa`

I put them in order first if it's a used deck. Then I make sure they are all there. Sometimes, if the deck comes with a companion book, I will read/skim through it. If the deck wasn't just a deck I had bought for my collection, I may do a few readings with it. Nothing special really. I don't have an elaborate ritual, or a special spread, and I've never slept with a deck.

Guess I'm quite boring when it comes to getting a new deck. :)

Sar

Time go get some new habits, the slow southern style can fit Tarot too.

Frayling0

nisaba said:
Yes, but you like easy decks. <grin>.

XD

Back on topic: I tend to go through them like others have done, checking they're all there and taking in the images, then I literally throw them across my floor and collect them in a random order - they end up thoroughly shuffled that way ;)