How do people feel about altering cards?

tarotbear

Helvetica said:
I'd like to put a loin cloth on that banana in the Robin Wood Lovers :D

Maybe you just don't like uncut men?

IMHO - casual human nudity is something that just doesn't bother me whereas open sexuality or rampant sex on Tarot cards is most cases is just inappropriate.

Attachments

• RW retouched.jpg
    RW retouched.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 228

Bridget

Your image looks really good, Fulgour; it took me a second to figure out what was missing. I take it you find the HP as Waite designed it too heavy on the Judeo-Christian symbolism?

I've always felt the B and J on the pillars are a bit weird. I know they stand for the names of the pillars in the temple in Jerusalem (or something like that), but when I see them, I always think of my brother. He's a year younger, and we were often together, "Bridget and Jim," B & J. I like my brother, so that's all right, but it's kind of a mundane association for the High Priestess, no?

And to respond to sapienza's original question, if your alterations help you to use the Robin Wood, then I say way to go. I'm blond myself, and I find the number of blonds in this deck a turn-off. It underscores how white the deck is. Granted, so is the RWS, but its coloring is pretty cartoony. It's like comparing the nudity in the two decks - because Robin Wood's people look more real, their nudity is more startling, and IMO their overall lack of diversity is more disturbing.

manhattan9thgate

tarotbear said:
Maybe you just don't like uncut men?

IMHO - casual human nudity is something that just doesn't bother me whereas open sexuality or rampant sex on Tarot cards is most cases is just inappropriate.

you should buy some smiley face stickers for that decameron LOL!!!

I can't get over this thread, it's a killer......bras, shorts, blondes, brunettes, cut vs. uncut penises, painting in eye sockets.............this is how a article on "tarot trends" might read in Women's Wear Daily or Vanity Fair........... ROFLMAO!!!!

Rabbit

manhattan9thgate said:
you should buy some smiley face stickers for that decameron LOL!!!

I can't get over this thread, it's a killer......bras, shorts, blondes, brunettes, cut vs. uncut penises, painting in eye sockets.............this is how a article on "tarot trends" might read in Women's Wear Daily or Vanity Fair........... ROFLMAO!!!!

well I guess we all have issues. :p

.traveller.

The only deck I have ever felt driven to alter was the Hanson-Roberts. First it was the Majors, all of the faces looked like people I knew and that interfered with my readings, so I colored the faces in. After that, I began taking exception with some of the courts, and then a few of the minors really began getting on my nerves. Ultimately, I got rid of the deck because the more I changed the things I disliked, the more I found to dislike in the unchanged cards.
I worked with that deck for close to three years... I want my three years back!

tarotbear

.traveller. said:
The only deck I have ever felt driven to alter was the Hanson-Roberts. First it was the Majors, all of the faces looked like people I knew and that interfered with my readings, so I colored the faces in. After that, I began taking exception with some of the courts, and then a few of the minors really began getting on my nerves. Ultimately, I got rid of the deck because the more I changed the things I disliked, the more I found to dislike in the unchanged cards.
I worked with that deck for close to three years... I want my three years back!

One is moved to ask that if any deck bothered you (collective 'you') so much ... why bother to use it at all in the first place? Trade it, sell it, and buy something else. I mean - if you had to minorly-to-radically alter 80% of a deck to 'make it work' or to not be 'offensive' to you .... why alter the deck at all and just find one that does work in it's natural state. :confused:

.traveller.

It was the only deck available to me at the time and it wasn't an immediate clash. If it had been, I would have just given it away. As it was, the dislike grew over time.

Deana

manhattan9thgate said:
The Tarot Deck of Athennium

OMG! The Lovers are both Fabio! I mean, we all suspected Fabio was in love with himself, but sheesh!

manhattan9thgate

Deana said:
OMG! The Lovers are both Fabio! I mean, we all suspected Fabio was in love with himself, but sheesh!

:) <giggles>

it's very "Preference by L'oriel"

that deck is so impossible (for me)

euripides

I can see how maybe the odd card... if you aren't comfortable with nudity... but the Decameron? Well I mean the title alone should make it pretty clear what its contents are about. And sexuality is an important part of most people's lives, I don't have a problem with a Tarot devoted to it. I DO wish they'd consider their female audience a little more though... all those nymphets with silicone-inflated boobs and half the time the men are, ahem, less than attractive.

I do prefer cards with minimal nudity to have around the house, since my kids are quite young.