Research Experiment #1

Teheuti

Just to show you how difficult even the simplest and most direct of questions can be: D's job application just got much more complicated because a big national magazine did a gossip column exposé on it as an outrageous 'dream job' and that could change everything.

I checked out the magic spread I did last week to influence the result, and there certainly are lots of cards in it that could also indicate public acclaim and recognition (Aces, 6 of Wands, Sun, World, etc.). You have to be very careful what you ask for.

Mary

Kenny

Teheuti said:
Spread: 3-card Yes/No. Upright=Yes; Reversed=No; Middle card counts twice. (Can interpret cards as Past, Present, Future - left to right)
My partner wants to know if she'll gain weight this week (she's in a slimming class and finds it hard to stick to the diet).

Spread, as above. Majors only.

X: The Wheel of Fortune; XVI: The Tower; VIII: Justice

Answer: Yes (3 vs 1)

Just as weight can go down, weight can go up too. The gaining of weight will make her think--or force her to think--about her diet, shaking what she thinks to the core. She'll find that things are not fair or balanced in this life.

I'll find out on Thursday...

Teheuti

Kenny said:
My partner wants to know if she'll gain weight this week
X: The Wheel of Fortune; XVI: The Tower; VIII: Justice
Answer: Yes (3 vs 1)
You don't state which card is reversed, but I assume, from your commentary, that it was Justice. If so, as the future card and the only no, I would think that her weight might continue to go up and down. This is only an observation and doesn't change the precision of your specific question and answer (I'm thinking that the weight is documented at the class on Thursday?).

Mary

Teheuti

Please note a new instruction in Post #1 where you are asked to put the word "Result" in your post title when you are reporting back as to whether or not your prediction was accurate. Also, reference your earlier post(s) with the question and spread by giving the post number(s). Otherwise, it will be too difficult to find all the original question/spread/predictions and their results. Please edit any earlier FINAL results so that the word "Result" appears in the title.

MoonLitCrystal

Teheuti said:
Very appropriate card, which seems to me like a clear answer, too. The question is not clear as to whether the choice to attend the lab is up to you in which case you are predicting your own choice, which isn't the point of this experiment. If, however, you are predicting the professor's decision as to whether you are allowed to attend or not, then it does. You've left too much ambiguity in the question for it to work well with this experiment. It would have been better stated as: "Will the professor give me permission to attend biology lab tomorrow?" As you stated it, even if given permission you could decide not to go, or you could simply show up without asking permission, etc.

I guess I had it worked out in my own head, but I did not put it down in writing. I was definitely willing to do it, but was going to leave the final decision up to the professor. If she contacted me and said yes, I was going to go. If she contacted me and said no or she did not contact me at all, I was not going to go. I felt that simply showing up without permission would be rude.

I'm finding that this experiment stuff is not as easy as I thought. I know what I am asking and what my intentions are while shuffling the cards, and therefore I assume that the cards know how to answer me correctly. (I've found that this has been the case so far.) However, it can be hard (or you can forget entirely) to write your thought process down.

MoonLitCrystal

Result

This is my result from post #23. This was a one card draw on the question "Will the professor give me permission to attend her biology lab tonight?" (Question revised for clarity.)

I just heard from my professor a little while ago, and she said yes! I am glad that I get to make up my work now so I will not be very far behind the next time I go to my own class.

Sidhe-Ra

Well, i wanted to have a go, but couldn't think of anything appropiate to ask about, so I thought I'd pick something from the news...I see there are some election polls happening today in the states?

Well, I feel silly, because it seemed so unlikely, but I asked whether Hilary Clinton would beat the odds and win the polls...

I decided to use the Bohemian Gothic, because it is almost as scary as she is.

An initial three cards were:

Page of Wands

Nine of wands

Ten of Wands

Odd, eh? Yes they're not only well shuffled, but I selected them by fanning the cards and scanning.

So...all these wands show she's putting some real passion and energy into this last push. But I wasn't sure if this was a yes or no at first...The Page of wands could be a yes...followed by great uncertainty and paranoia- always looking over her shoulder at what threats may be lurking. The Ten of wands implies that she may have taken on too much.

So, an extra card for confirmation was the Nine of Pentacles. (Perhaps I just don't care about this enough to get a clear answer?) This implies that her position is more secure than I would have thought. This is a sinister looking lady though. There's something hidden here, and she's ruthless...

Back to the Nine and Ten then...I think she won't get this one, but I think she will carry on regardless, possibly resorting to dirty tactics to acheive position, but Macbeth-like, she will never feel as secure as she may appear. The Ten perhaps implies she is just not up to the job.

So, a no...but not the end of the bigger picture.

Guess we'll find out soon! And I'll be interested to see what happens.

When I can think of a more personal situation to query on, I will have another go. I'm unsure about this one...

Em xx

Sidhe-Ra

Sigh...

Am I allowed to change my mind five minutes afterwards?

I feel uncomfortable with 'no', so I'm going to say 'yes' but it will be close and she'll have an awful lot to deal with and will be on the lookout for attack from opponents...

Em xx

Teheuti

Sidhe-Ra said:
I asked whether Hilary Clinton would beat the odds and win the polls...
Great question. I was wondering if someone was going to do this. A couple of problems with it though -

*There are four states voting. Do you mean the aggregate of all of them? By district count or by individual votes?

*Although a time limit is implied (the results of today's elections), your responses included a much bigger picture.

*Your choice of spread (position meanings weren't stated) plus how you determined the Yes/No character of each card didn't give you an unambiguous answer as demonstrated below.

I wasn't sure if this was a yes or no at first. . . . The Page of wands could be a yes. . . . (Perhaps I just don't care about this enough to get a clear answer?) This implies that her position is more secure than I would have thought. . . I think she won't get this one, but I think she will carry on regardless. . . . So, a no...but not the end of the bigger picture.

Hey, the "extra card for confirmation" (is that cheating?) was the Nine of Pentacles, called "Gain" in the GD tradition. Isn't that a yes? And, I see now that you've changed your mind again.

Eek. Even though you come up with a NO - no, a YES - I'm not sure if this would fit the bill of our guidelines - too much ambiguity. But, along with other experiments here, it shows that the task is not as easy as it seems.

Mary

Sidhe-Ra

Sorry about all that- it's past midnight here!

I'm settled on yes, and I mean that as an overall- the aggregate, as you put it. The original three I pulled without specific meanings. Like one card, but with more clarity-(I hoped)

I pulled the fourth as confirmation much as I would do in any reading where I wasn't quite sure of something...

Does that make it clearer?

With something like this, i can't help but look to the bigger picture as well, but simply I'm going to go with an overall yes- she'll do better than expected.

Blessings, (and good night!)

Em xxx