Major Arcana titles: La Maison-Diev

kwaw

frelkins said:
Why this insistence on the Reformation? France remained a rigidly old-fashioned Catholic country until the Revolution, and after the restoration of the monarchy, reverted back to a strong Catholic foundation.

At one time the Church in France formed its own separate government, certainly wealthier and more powerful than the King. (see Richelieu, for example).

The Reformation had little lasting power in France and of course even less in Italy. :) Please enlighten me. I hesitate to speculate but I would think the lightning strike is what happens to the rich merchants and their money in the fortress counting house if they *don't* endow the maison dieu. :)

Even if the Church is one of merchant priests; as if Christ did not throw out the traders from the temple?

The question of the role of 'good works' in Chrisitian salvation is a complex one with a variety of sectarian viewpoints, from those who give it a primary role to the extremes of some that deny it any role at all (salvation depending upon God's grace, man contanimated by original sin cannot cleanse or atone for himself through good work , his salvation is soley dependent upon and a manifestation of God's love).

Calls for reform within the Catholic church existed long before, and after, Luther. See Dante, Chaucer, Boccaccio, Langley. We can find the same calls for reform against clerical corruption, argument for the marriage of priests, for the availability of scripture in the vernacular and the primary authority of scripture above church, as much in the 12th century as we can in the 16th; themes such as pope as antichrist existed prior to the later extreme polemics of the protestants that exploited an existing and widespread concept.

The TdM appears to us c.1650 on in a Europe in schism the effects of which included France; that France remained Catholic does not mean it did so without being effected or involved in a hundred years of religious war, massacres and mass migration; many card manufacturers were in areas where the Heugenots were strong; block out on a map of Calvin controlled areas on the map and several of our card makers appear on its borders; several known cardmakers are known to have migrated to the netherlands, to england and the swiss cantons, (and several later on move back again).

And the issues of reform remained to be tackled, commentated upon (and satirised) from with the Catholic church itself, and was not the sole domain of its opponents in schism.

Kwaw
For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? I Peter 4:17

kwaw

kwaw said:
For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? I Peter 4:17

The Fall - the beginning of judgment --- the last judgment - The Restoration

15.jpg
16.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg

MystickalWytch

Major Arcana titles: La Maison-Dieu

In very early Tarot decks, what has become The Tower, was originally La Foudre or The Lightning. There was no tower depicted at all, but a man under a tree which was being hit by lightning. Other decks with a tower depict the flames going out from the top of the tower and beneath the crown which is falling off, instead of flames coming down from "heaven". One deck even has leaves instead of flames, imagine that!

What all Tarot users/lovers/readers need to understand is that the Tarot images have evolved over many, many years to the many, many images in use today and the only way to read the cards is intuitively, as there are as many "real meanings" for the images are there are people who look at them. Anyone who claims they are an "expert" on the Tarot is only an expert on what the Tarot means to them.

One of the earliest versions of a Marseille deck, the Jean Noblet deck, shows The Fool, Le Fov (the "v" being the letter used to depict "u" in early French), with his pants down and his genitals in imminent danger of being played with by the cat which is following him! That's right, not a cute little dog, but a cat with long claws.

In the early Moon card, depicted in what is known as the Cary Sheet, though there is a crayfish or lobster(?), the dog and "wolf" or "fox" are absent. In some early Marseille decks, the "wolf/fox" is cloven! Which means it is more likely a goat.

I know all this because I have been doing research for a novel I am writing (which is how I found this thread and decided to post this response). And, because of this research, I have decided to create my own deck with images which mean something - intuitively - to me.

kwaw

MystickalWytch said:
I know all this because I have been doing research for a novel I am writing

Hope you didn't go looking to far before finding this forum, where you can already find 'all' that information in the one place :)

And, because of this research, I have decided to create my own deck with images which mean something - intuitively - to me.

You might like to share your progress with others interested in deck creation in the forum here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Bernice

MystickalWytch:-

In the early Moon card, depicted in what is known as the Cary Sheet, though there is a crayfish or lobster(?), the dog and "wolf" or "fox" are absent. In some early Marseille decks, the "wolf/fox" is cloven! Which means it is more likely a goat.

Check back through the threads MW, there's a real in-depth discussion about the cary-sheet, and the dogs/wolves (whatever) on the Moon card arn't missing, Rosanne found them. Use a magnifying glass, they're very teeny.

Bee :)