2 of Pentacles

BleuReynard

I dislike the Rider version of this card, and this card alone.

When I draw it my eyes lock on that hat. That red, tall, oddly shaped, hat.

I can't be the only one. Has there been anyone out there that sees any symbology in it, or is it just a random distraction?

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic and to the Rider-Waite-Smith forum, BleuReynard!

There is a pretty in depth index to the threads in this forum. See RWS Tarot 101 Two of Pentacles for some discussion (and possible interpretations) of the hat in the 2 Pentacles.

Zephyros

I think the hat is Kabbalistic in nature, and is exactly what it looks like. :)

Twos correspond to Chochma on the Tree of life, the male element of the supreme monad. The Golden Dawn called this card "The Lord of Harmonious Change" which is an apt name, especially for coins, as this is the seminal Idea of creation, that first manifestation of taking an abstract thought and, in a way, giving it a name. The hat calls attention to that male action and spark. The color of the hat suggests sulphur, which in alchemy fulfills the male counterpart to female salt (if I'm not mistaken).

In essence, sometimes a cigar... is in fact a giant phallus.

Richard

He is an entertainer, a clown, closely related to The Fool. A preposterous hat is by no means out of place. He is manipulating material objects (represented by coins) in a spirit of play. Those of us of a more practical, mature sort voluntarily place ourselves in bondage to materialism (The Devil), and worship the almighty dollar, but the Two of Pentacles is too "stupid" (or inexperienced) to do that. The most suitable crown for such an absurd individual is an absurd hat. ;)

Of course, in a practical sense, a hat helps keep perspiration out the eyes of the juggler, and the high crown allows for a little ventilation of the scalp, like a high crowned chefs hat.

Richard

The Two of Pentacles is the Decan of Jupiter in Capricorn. Jupiter is exalted in Cancer, which is opposite Capricorn, so some instability might be expected. However, Jupiter and Capricorn are not incompatible, so a "harmonious change" is indicated.

The juggler in the Two of Pentacles may indeed be a dickhead (adorned with a hat befitting his unusual anatomy), but then so am I. :D

Zephyros

The Devil is attributed to Capricorn, further suggesting to me the creative impulse, and the instability inherent in it. Together with the Earth element, this card may very well be a "little Devil".

Tarotdivine

The 2 of pentacles is indicative of juggling 2 things at the same time... Maybe 2 situations or 2 people or 2 jobs etc. and this hat is very similar to a hat worn by a juggler...!
I had never put any attention to this hat... Thanks for pointing it out