Tarot Minus Esoteric Symbolism = ???

Barleywine

I'm curious whether anyone has thoughts about where the middle ground lies between decks with deep esoteric symbolism (Thoth, the various Golden-Dawn-based decks) and those that are - even if only nominally - RWS-based but mainly just pretty pictures with titles (Mystic Dreamer comes to mind). Regarding the Waite-Smith deck itself, even though Waite withheld much of the arcane symbolism, the contribution that Smith made with the scenic minor cards has become the de facto standard for what I think of as "middle-of-the-road" interpretation (regardless of what you think of that; personally I'm ambivalent and tend to resist it, going more with various correspondences - numerological, elemental and astrological chief among them).

Although the symbolically complex decks are my personal preference for private use, for public reading I'm always on the look-out for decks that offer something "just a little bit more" than stock RWS-style imagery but - short of going full-in with Tarot de Marseille or Etteilla and exploring oracle decks - I've come up a bit empty except for options like the Chrysalis Tarot. This lack of variety is probably what pushed me into Lenormand.

Suggestions, anyone?

violetdaisy

I've had a lot of fun with the Transparent tarot. The images have to be essentially plain because they get layered. Of my collection it's maybe the least esoteric. Some of the themed decks might be worth looking at as well, even the ones that don't get really good reviews.

I haven't looked at your collection but I do know when I got this deck I had to gently wash each card and let it dry because of a "film" on the cards. Another deck might be Hidden Realms - I never connected with that one at all because most of the cards are just faces of people.

Barleywine

I've had a lot of fun with the Transparent tarot. The images have to be essentially plain because they get layered. Of my collection it's maybe the least esoteric. Some of the themed decks might be worth looking at as well, even the ones that don't get really good reviews.

I haven't looked at your collection but I do know when I got this deck I had to gently wash each card and let it dry because of a "film" on the cards. Another deck might be Hidden Realms - I never connected with that one at all because most of the cards are just faces of people.

Thanks for the suggestions. I should probably mention that I have the Rohrig Tarot, which comes fairly close to my ideal: there is hardly a whiff of RWS about it, and the fact that the titles are in Spanish keeps me focused on the images (well, to be honest, the images do have Thoth titles buried in them). My only concern would be subjecting it to indiscriminate handling by clients.

I also have the Voyager, but it goes completely off on its own tangent (even though James Wanless says its Thoth-based) and leaves most recognizable models far behind. Not something I could read for others with, but I'm involved in an intensive study group right now, so who knows?

nicky

TdMs may be your option, and or you could also check out the historical tarots. There are enough mass produced versions that you need not worry your Osvaldo is going to get destroyed. LOS has a usable version of the Vacchetta.

FLizarraga

Kat Black's Golden Tarot is not exactly "just pretty pictures with titles," as most of the Waite symbolism is there, but it is pretty and very much non-threatening since it's all Medieval and early Renaissance Christian imagery.

I use it as my main reading deck, and people never fail to oooh and ahhhh over it.

magicjack

I heard The Fountain Tarot is going to have a 2 for 1 sell soon but it's only going to last for a few days. It will be their last 2 for 1 sale (at least that's what they say)...Not sure if that's your style but I didn't think it was mine either. It's RWS but subtle.

Barleywine

Lots of good ideas! I've been looking closely at the LoS Tarot of the Master. I already have Kat Black's Golden but haven't warmed up to it (yet).

barefootlife

I am guessing that 'trendy' decks aren't your personal thing, but the Invisible Light deck I just posted with your interview deck has a good balance between non-traditional imagery and...not alternate, but certainly differently perceived RWS-ish definitions that call for more deep digging.

You can see all the images (nsfw, nekkid people) and their LWB meanings here: http://www.invisiblelighttarot.com/images/

And of course there's the wildly popular Wild Unknown, which dispenses with a lot of traditional imagery in favor of symbolism, linework, and careful use of color. It's RWSish, but not straight RWS, and reads very flexibly. It gives the sitter something to look at that they can derive meaning from and you can do your own thing.

Barleywine

I am guessing that 'trendy' decks aren't your personal thing, but the Invisible Light deck I just posted with your interview deck has a good balance between non-traditional imagery and...not alternate, but certainly differently perceived RWS-ish definitions that call for more deep digging.

You can see all the images (nsfw, nekkid people) and their LWB meanings here: http://www.invisiblelighttarot.com/images/

And of course there's the wildly popular Wild Unknown, which dispenses with a lot of traditional imagery in favor of symbolism, linework, and careful use of color. It's RWSish, but not straight RWS, and reads very flexibly. It gives the sitter something to look at that they can derive meaning from and you can do your own thing.

Thanks for the ideas. Photographic decks aren't my thing, either. I've considered the Wild Unknown before, but it's just a little too monochromatic or "austere" for my tastes. I like lively colors, or at least a dominant use of color over bare line-work.