Favorite Visconti-Sforza Replacements and Why

Abrac

I have my own viewpoint, but I thought it would be interesting to hear what others think about it. :)

Devils & Towers

Le Fanu

O nice thread! Just as I was thinking there wasn´t much action here today...

For me it would be the Scarabeo Book and Deck Set.

Love the hairy little impish devil on the Meneghello though. Also love the Tower on the LS deck-only one. But I don´t really like that Devil with the prey hanging out of his mouth, like a cat that´s just come in through the cat-flap with a rat in his mouth.

Any of them really except the Scapini one. I really don´t know how anyone could think that the Scapini ones blend imperceptibly into the rest of the deck. I have a theory that he must be big chums with Kaplan and that´s how he gets tarot work...

gregory

Dal Negro, for me :D Just LOOKS rightest.

Rosanne

Hey Abrac! One of my favourite topics!

Well I do not think these two cards were there in the first place, but of the replacements I like the Il Meneghello versions best.
It is a historical perspective for me.
The two Scapini that are in the Visconti Gold are like his Medieval deck and are like fantastical- not Italian in a Renaissance way
It is not that I do not like them- but like Le Fanu says they look out of place and rough- not like Bembo for sure!
The Il Meneghello Tower is like the towers of Milan and surrounding areas- especially the Sforza Castle. This is one reason I do not think the Tower was in the deck in the first place- it would show the destruction of the dynasty. In many cases and one in particular is the way they threw people off the tower in Florence. When the Medici rose to Signoire- he had the last person thrown of the Palazzo dei Priori.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castello_Sforzesco corner towers are like the card.
Now the Devil is a different kettle of fish for me.
I think I like it(Il Meneghello) because it is somewhat like the Mitelli- which is the Oceanus of Greek Mythology- Us who live in the river of Life. Perhaps alluding to the Power of Trade and the sea. On the other hand if the deck was for teaching children perhaps the essence of Dal Negro or the Scapini would have been more likely. But truthfully I like the Il Meneghello best.
Especially with the cliff top so clear in the image.
I will stop here before I get boring.
Also thanks for the link!
~Rosanne

kwaw

The LS (2000) Atanas Atanassov for me (because they strike me as more true to the period somehow ~ though they look perhaps, I don't know, more florentine than Milanese??).

The IM devil a close second.

gregory

Rosanne said:
Hey Abrac! One of my favourite topics!

Well I do not think these two cards were there in the first place,

~Rosanne
What Rosy - you think they never existed at all ?

jackdaw*

I prefer the Dal Negro Devil and Tower.

And for what it's worth, I do think they were there in the first place.

Rosanne

gregory said:
What Rosy - you think they never existed at all ?
Well I don't but we do not know- because no examples have been found- which I find odd for such an expensive deck. That is not the only reason- it is what these two cards represent that have me wondering if they were there.
The Il Meneghello Devil sort of reminds me of the view about Venice and the power of that Italian State and that the Church mainly backed Venice until Peace was wrought.
I am interested that Kwaw likes the LS 2000- because I agree these do look more of the period and like those early TdM type cards. Especially the devil!
Maybe Kwaw can refresh us as to that image and meaning?
~Rosanne

kwaw

Rosanne said:
I am interested that Kwaw likes the LS 2000- because I agree these do look more of the period and like those early TdM type cards. Especially the devil!
Maybe Kwaw can refresh us as to that image and meaning?
~Rosanne

They are based on the 'bologna' devil and tower cards: click on devil and tower links under the "Edmond de Rothschild Collection" in the Louvre here:

http://trionfi.com/0/j/d/bologna/

HearthCricket

Dal Negro, hands down. Though right now I can't even find my copy. :(

I believe the Devil and Tower were always there. They were just paper. They either got spilt on with a bit of wine, accidently (or purposely burned in the fireplace) or shredded by mice....

What a lovely topic for a short story/novel/movie! I am going to get creative and see where it brings me!