Why are playing cards not so popular?

Phoenix Rising

LittleBuddha said:
Ordered Deborah Leigh's book today. How has anyone that has read it found it? I liked having the initial information but really wanted to be able to go deeper.

LB

Hi LB
I've got the book..it's different to every other cartomancy book..very well written..explains the cards very well, not like traditional books method. You will understand the cards better once you've read it.

Joermit

I use the Joker... call it my "god" card... sorta like the meaning of the fool I guess... card of trust in the divine and being open to spirit... card of great unpredictable changes, mostly for the better... I like to see where it actually falls in a reading, can actually indicate areas where spiritual influences are really at work and trying to get you to take note... those're some quick thoughts...

thanks

Joey

Little Baron

It's a present from my parents. So I probably won't get hold of it til Christmas, which is good, I think. I will have these two months to really get a feel about the cards and then I can go deeper and further in the new year. Glad to hear that it is a good one.

LB

Sedi

I, like others, find I can do a playing card reading by simply substituting the corresponding Tarot meaning of the card. (What one does about having more Tarot court cards than playing court cards I am not sure).

I have had a playing card reading only once in my life and it was done by a spiritualist medium. One thing which struck me at the time was the nature of the cards themselves - they looked old and cared for and well-used. This may seem strange but when she laid them out they did not look like playing cards! I mean this in the sense that somehow they had been transformed from playing cards into a divination tool - and I think their aged appearance had something to do with that.

To that extent, may I also suggest that you choose your cards for reading with care for their appearance. Now while it is certainly possible to do a reading with any old deck given away free with petrol, part of the enjoyment of the experience of reading will be enhanced by having a deck which looks the part.

I am not sure about the etiquette about posting links so I will just say that I have a beautiful deck which I use for playing card readings. They are the Austrian Large Crown pattern printed by Piatnik and I got mine from a site called playingcardsales owned by R. Somerville. Because the indicies are printed in all four corners and the shapes of the suits are not classic Paris pattern people immediately know that there is something different and indeed special about them - that although these are playing cards there is nothing of the gin rummy about them.

(Just as a final point I feel there is enough in the vibrant colours, expressions and posessions to make it possible to do a reading just from the court cards alone!)

Les.

Little Baron

Would love to see them Sedi. Please post. I will try and upload mine too.

LB

fall_guy

Just curious...does anyone use the Joker when reading?
If so, what does it mean to you?

onceuponatime

ordinary playing cards

i usually use tarot cards but i went round to my mates house and his mum read my cards using ordinary playing cards - she did 3 different spreads and every time the overall key things were loss, accident and pregnancy. I felt quite freaked out by these things, especially the accident. I have never found such definite events when reading tarot. According to her three 7's mean 'accident' whereas in my tarot reading i judge three 7's as good fortune. Also she believes 9 clubs signifies pregnancy - i read 9 wands as feeling wary and defensive but having the wisdom and experience for conclusion.

Can anyone help? Should i trust these warnings?

knowledge seeker

i have just read this thread with interest as when i was a pre-pubescent (spelling) girl i kinda did in my own round-about way did this. mostly just dictatating that i pulled out a certain suite it meant such such etc not paying any attn to the numbers. i am intersted to learn more now, particularly as i have only read with oracles cos tarot feels intimidating to me, where as i feel reading with pc's comfortable. can anyone offer any advice or links? much appreciated.
KS

Mystic Leo

Hi knowledge seeker, you will find plenty of very good links, in earlier posts in this thread.....plenty of methods to choose from....enjoy!