Assistance with career decision

Tavia

I have been approached by the managing director of my company several times regarding whether I would be keen on taking up a position in another country. I have not given a definitive answer to his suggestion. Although I sense he genuinely respects me, however he wiped his lips with his hand and looked away as he said : "You could run the hotel there." Body language such as this indicates something amiss - concealment of something, not engaging the full facts, looking for a fall guy etc.

The hotel in the other country is in need of refurbishment and it already has a general manager in charge. Therefore I was not able to fathom my possible role in running the hotel, as suggested by the managing director, unless the intention is to let the present general manager go and myself taking over his (general manager's) position.

I am open to accepting the foreign position but only next year sometime in March 2006 after my present commitments to family and part-time studies are completed. My present position in the company is stable and enjoyable. I am open to travel and re-location to another country if the prospects are good. However, the investments in that country by my present company have met with dismal failure and losses after several years (about 8 year). Therefore I am undestandably cautious about accepting any position there (in the other country - in one of the ventures there).

I would like to know of a spread that will assist me in gathering more information about the situation of this career decision before I give a response to the managing director. I suspect that if I do not respond, he will end up making a decision on my behalf that may not be to my advantage.

I would like to know any hidden factors that I should be aware of, my prospects in that position in that particular hotel in the foreign country, what the intentions of the general manager are towards me (eg: making me a fall guy, indirect termination of employment etc.), whether I should wait out the time in my present position and give no definitive response to the managing director, my prospects in the present position in the company and any advice for the future course of action or any particular advice in general as well as the better decision of the two at this time.

I would really appreciate your assistance in this career decision as I would like to stave off any imminent albeit unknown threats to my present position and take advantage of any good opportunity that presents itself.

I look forward to your help!

Kind regards

Tavia

Moonbow

Hi Tavia

Welcome to Aeclectic

Have a look at the Spreads Index here.

There is a section on Job-Related Spreads and also on Crossroads and Decision Making Spreads. Hopefully you will find something appropriate for your reading in those.

Moonbow*