nines - in relationship readings

obsidian_queen

Alone vs lonely...

lilpeanut said:
I am curious about the 9 of Pentacles as an outcome of a relationship when you are single too! I am never sure...

Does it mean you will remain single yet happy and soon the next man will be the one? (9's meaning almost there)

I agree with the remaining single and happy part. The independent nature of the 9 of pents is what connects with the Hermit here; the person is happy with their stuff, and absolutely fine with being alone for the time being. They are happy with being in their own space without the need to share it with anybody (though they wouldn't necessarily mind it) and they're happy because everything they've got they achieved for themselves. I feel this card, if you're single and LOOKING means you find someone when you're NOT looking, and usually when you're content with the way your life is that's EXACTLY when someone else comes along. The message is mainly that you should go into a relationship as a whole person, and not be searching for someone else to "complete" you..that way there's a healthy relationship in store for you where you can still have that personal space that is just for you and there is no need to give up yourself for someone else.

Thirteen

wind said:
Interesting take on 9 of cups - for me it always meant like the person was selfish and not caring at all about the other, just being totally satisfied withing him/her self.
9/Cups is not a selfish card--but it is a "self-assured" card. It's a card that indicates the person getting all the love, attention, affection he/she could want. This bosters the ego: I am adored. I must be wonderful! :D

This is not to say that the card *can't* indicate selfishness--there's negative aspects to all cards and selfishness is very much in the negative spectrum of the cups. But most of the time, the card simply indicates that the person is the center of attention and loving it.

Lula Jing

I recently received 9 of Cups in answer to the question "does he ever dream about me?" (I had dreamed about someone in particular and was looking for meaning re: the dream).

I wasn't sure how to interpret that - and took it to mean yes, but only in a "wishful thinking" and sentimental kind of way. I also imagined he would keep his dreams to himself and was otherwise content.

wind

I agree completely that you need first to be whole and complete in yourself before you can relate. But what I mean by nines is that a relationship or the other person is not meaningful to someone whose feelings are described as 9 of cups or pentacles.

For instance, I was getting 9 of cups as for someone's desire/expectation in a relationship.
I felt: this person is self-centered and this relationship (or the other person involved) is not meaningful to him. he doesn't get anything from this relationship, he is totally satisfied with himself and the realtionship doesn't contribute to his life at all.

I don't know...maybe it was just me projecting, because this person really was giving me a feeling of not caring about me at all.

Maybe from here I carry this negative imprint on nines - a person so self absorbed that the other is completely left out.

But I might be wrong, it is not necessarily so?

obsidian_queen

Ahh I gotcha..

Nah...I think that it isn't so much that the relationship doesn't contribute to their lives AT ALL as that they're completely satisfied with things as they are; both in the relationship and in themselves. They're happy/ content with the investment they're putting into the relationship / or not putting into it, and they're quite happy with what they're getting back from the situation. It's not likely that they'll make any changes to rock the boat; (particularly that 9 of pents person since they've settled into their groove and got all comfortable) they've got a pretty sweet deal going on right here. So I guess there is that selfishness you speak of..but maybe it's not a conscious selfishness like the 5 of swords...I'm pretty sure that if you told a person who was described by the 9 of cups that you weren't happy in the relationship, they'd be quite surprised. "You're not happy??? I am!"