8 of Cups. Legacy of the Divine Tarot

scottyramone

Well, like I suggested in the Legacy of the Divine Tarot thread, I'd like to start with a card that "strays" for the RWS.

I would just like to see what everyone thinks about 8 of Cups?

This card really gives me the feeling of its time to move on to the next chapter, and fulfill your destiny. Reflection, and letting go of the past to facilitate growth.

But I'm unsure about the Octopus bottom half of the body. I kind of get the feeling of emerging from one phase into another and having to let go (of the cups, emotions) like mentioned above. However i have seen an octopus in the 8 of cups before, in the Mother peace deck. So maybe there is more symbolism to it.

That's my 2 cents.

Scott

Bonnie

Mirror Image

I find this card very interesting. At first glance the image above the water and the image below appear to be mirror images - and this is not so.

I like the hand positions - the left hand appears to be welcoming the future, while the right hand appears to be pushing back the past.

It is also of interest that the Cups are in slightly differing format. The element of water indicating a connection with intuition, and a fluid nature, comes through strongly.

For me, there is a sense of peace and hope with this card.

Lee

To me, it looks like the cups are each being grasped by an octopus arm. So for me, this card suggests consciously (above the water surface) wanting to move on, while subconsciously (below the water surface) finding it difficult to let go.

Practicing Human

To me, it looks like the cups are each being grasped by an octopus arm. So for me, this card suggests consciously (above the water surface) wanting to move on, while subconsciously (below the water surface) finding it difficult to let go.

I like this interpretation.

I had trouble with this card for awhile. I had to process the whole half man/half octopus thing. Then I meditated on the animal symbolism for octopus and it made more sense, if at least on an intuitive level.

Octopus represents moving from subconscious to conscious (as Lee stated), moving toward a goal, escaping a danger, camouflage, not forcing intuition... there are many more meanings. I'm simply allowing these additional aspects octopus brings to be part of the meaning of this card in this particular deck for me, while still retaining aspects of the original meaning I learned for 8 of Cups.

NatKat

8 cups in Legacy departure in meaning from RWS

... <<snip>>

I had trouble with this card for awhile. I had to process the whole half man/half octopus thing ...

Octopus represents moving from subconscious to conscious (as Lee stated), moving toward a goal, escaping a danger, camouflage, not forcing intuition... there are many more meanings ...

I also had trouble with the card as it is one of the most dramatic departures from classical RWS symbolism. Oddly enough the card recently turned-up repeatedly in my spreads and I got exchange readings where the same card appeared ... so I got to compare my own interpretation using Legacy and other readers using RWS.

8 CUPS in LEGACY DECK: meanings DIFFERENT from RWS

Mysterious or unknown Plumbing Issues:
laugh if you like ... but in a REAL ESTATE reading ... this card indicated sewer/plumbing problems. The problems were unknown to me and only revealed during the sewer lateral where they use a special scope.

TIMING: First 10 days of Pisces. I use Lon Milo Duqette's system for timing Tarot cards. I find Legacy minor arcana VERY accurate. YMMV. 8 cups predicted we would get an offer on our house between Feb.18-29. We got the offer on Feb. 20.

TRAVEL: In RWS 8 Cups is "travel by water" or also I take it as travel to a spiritual retreat. So far I have not observed Legacy 8 Cups to be a travel card but my experience is limited. I might take it as a sailing trip or as an internal journey into one's sub-conscious or deep essence.

LEAVING: In RWS, 8 cups is often a "no". A job you don't get or an opportunity that doesn't pan-out. Not a disaster card ... but still ... a harbinger of not getting something you wanted. On the Exchange Thread, a certain Reader got 8 Cups for my question and read it as such. I found this reading was mistaken.

So far I observed that Legacy 8 cups does not carry the same meaning as RWS when it comes to this aspect of the card.