Tarot books in French

Diana

ihcoyc, concerning recommendations for books:

I cannot recommend too highly Edmond Delcamp's book called "Le Tarot initiatique symbolique et ésotérique." It is based however on Oswald Wirth's deck (22 Major Arcana), not the Tarot of Marseilles. It is a chef d'oeuvre.

I think, along with "Meditations on the Tarot" by Anonymous, as well as Wirth's own book "Le Imagiers du Moyen Âge", I rank it amongst the finest Tarot books that have ever been written. It is no matter that it does not base itself on the Tarot of Marseilles. It goes beyond mere images and touches on the Tarot itself.

It was first published in 1972, and I noticed in the bookshop up in town today that it is still being published. Not bad for a book which is aimed at such a specific and not widely-read subject.

Fulgour

Rusty Neon said:
Frankly, I don't understand why Jodorowsky as a tarot author is being dissed in this current thread on account of his being successful in other endeavours...
The best book (by far) I have ever read on Wm. Shakespeare
was written by none other than 'lowly' sci-fi's Isaac Asimov.
And for about the price of a pizza you can join him in a delightful
journey through the timeless musings of the sweet Bard of Avon.

ISBN 0-517-26825-6
Wings Books, New York

Namadev

French book on TdM

Hi,

I must also draw your attention on the "classic" Hades -THE reference for French tarologists.

Manuel complet d'interprétation du tarot (15 janvier 1997) de Hades -- Reliure inconnue
Livres en français

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ma pratique du tarot (1 janvier 1990) de Hadès -- Reliure inconnue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cartes et destin (22 janvier 2001) de Hadès -- Relié
Livres en français Voir les 5 résultats

Also on Amazon.fr

smleite

I’ve got Cartes et destin, by Hadès, ed. Flammarion, 1976. A small book, just the basics, and I would say, only for beginners. He was mostly an astrologer, and that is visible in his tarot analysis.

Namadev

smleite said:
I’ve got Cartes et destin, by Hadès, ed. Flammarion, 1976. A small book, just the basics, and I would say, only for beginners. He was mostly an astrologer, and that is visible in his tarot analysis.
Hi,
He is mainly known as an astrologer and his astrological essays are valuable.
Yet, Hades as a tarologist is a "classic".
Even as a "cartomancer" , his :
"Divination par le Jeu de 32 cartes" is one of the best essays on the subject.

smleite

I must have expressed myself wrongly. I never meant to say his texts on Tarot are not valuable! I’ve never read « Divination …", but as to Cartes et Destin, that is what I think. Anyway, that book was recommended to me (by an astrologer, by the way) exactly as a book for the very beginner, which I was and still am. Of course he is a classic, and the classics are never outdated, aren’t they?

Silvia

ihcoyc

I'd point out that for North American readers, many French books are more handily available from Canadian Amazon, http://www.amazon.ca. Hadès' Cartes et destin, Delcamp's Le Tarot initiatique symbolique et ésotérique, and Morel's Tirer et interpréter le Tarot de Marseille are all available there.

I'm chiefly interested in the French tradition of DMs for the minors; the French works on the majors, while interesting, are much more similar to English language works, largely because of the general currency of these symbols through the Western world.