Who historically put magic in The Magician?

wandking

Evolving from an ancient Greek word mago meaning great, the Persian title magoi, describes mystical teachers, wise men or astrologers. In early Latin Bibles the word magi, imbues three wise men with royal status and gives rise to the term magician. In Tarot, The Magician surges forth as an initiator that bears a one. His appearance introduces the dynamic power of your will. An ability to materialize objects from thin air suggests he holds either Divine power or the wand of a charlatan. Like Biblical magi, The Magician follows higher powers, which direct his force outwardly as theory, practice and results. Like the term magician, early forms of the card reflect confusing evolution, depicting him as only an entertainer, until Eliphas Levi noticed that this archaic juggler hid an infinity-like shape within folds of his floppy hat. Further affecting modern imagery, Levi describes arm positions as he confers voice to The Magician: “Above, immensity: Below, immensity still! Immensity equals immensity” Epitomizing Yang, The Magician speaks with confidence and overt mental skill.

wandking

Is there any interest in exploring history of symbolism on The Magician?

Was Levi truely the first writer or card designer to empower the card?

Scion

wandking said:
Evolving from an ancient Greek word mago meaning great, the Persian title magoi, describes mystical teachers, wise men or astrologers. In early Latin Bibles the word magi, imbues three wise men with royal status and gives rise to the term magician.

I LOVE this kind of exploration, I hope you don't mind if I jump in!

It's also worth remembering that "the Magi" were not a vague subgroup in the Ancient world. It refers specifically to adepts of the Zoroastrian tradition, which predates Christianity by millenia and is the ancestor of modern Farsi culture. Zoroastrianism was the state religion of Persia until the late Achemenid dynasty and Persia was one of the superpowers of the ancient world; not for nothing were they able fight the Greeks for so long... They had the resources and the know-how. Largely forgotten by nonacademics, Zoroastrianism had ENORMOUS impact on the preSocratic philosophers (and thence Plato, Aristotle, and Western culture) and on the various mystery religions of the Mediterranean basin.

Zoroastrianism is much more complicated than fire worship or dualism. In fact, while Zoroastrianism is often pointed to as the source of the relatively late theological dualism in the Bible (i.e. God/Devil deriving from the battle between Ahura Mazda and Aingra Mainyu) acquired during the Babylonian exile, in fact Zoroastrianism is essentialy animistic, investing the cosmos with divine meaning and everyday actions with divine impact. In Zoroastrianism, the battle between good and bad is being won by the black hats, and it is the duty of mortals to help Ahura Mazda (aka Ormuzd) fight the battle. A God who needs human assistance?! This strange contradiction is at the root of many theological vagueries in Christianity and created many irreconcilable ideological positions that anchored and practically insured the Church's loathing of magical/esoteric activity. In a way, the Magi are there at the birth, but in a way also carry the seed of its dissolution. So too, the first "Magician" could be Zoroaster himself... but that's a whole other post. :)

This all gets even weirder because the date coopted to represent the Birth of Jesus/Yeshua during the development of Christianity (post-Paul), the day given as "Christmas," was lifted directly from the MORE popular esoteric religion of the time: Mithraism. For a big chunk of later Roman history, Mithraism looked like it was going to be the winner in the mystery religion popularity contest. And Mithra is a Zoroastrian solar demideity/archangel governing laws and contracts (i.e. the all-seeing eye of the Sun that witnesses all actions). Further, Mithra's virgin birth takes place at the winter solstice in a cave, where he is attended by various quadrupeds. Tons of syncretism between these mystery cults (Yeshua/Jesus & Mithra).

Also, there's a fantastic book called Jesus the Magician written by Mort Smith,one of my professors at Columbia which examines the New Testament in light of the contemporaneous magicians and wonderworkers of the Holy Land. A terrific if slightly overreaching examination of how the population would have understood any miracles that might have been performed. Tons and tons of information that colors outside the Christian lines on this one.

Yipes... I need to check some references before I blather further though; I'm doing this from memory, but if anyone's intrerested I'll dig out my seminar notes from University.

wandking

Yes, welcome aboard, Scion... it appears you're well informed and have a solid historic perspective of the Magi. Nice to see you too, Fulgor... thanks for the interest, now let me check those links you posted.

wandking

scion...

It's a bit off topic but your post made me wonder if Zoroastrianism predates Isis worship in about 2,200 BCE?

Scion

wandking said:
It's a bit off topic but your post made me wonder if Zoroastrianism predates Isis worship in about 2,200 BCE?

A few scholars make the claim that its founding dates from the 3rd millenium, making it a contemporary of Isis worship... but most date it between late 2nd millenium and early 1st. Mary Boyce, who's the recognized expert on the subject, most recently places the founding between 1500 and 1200 BCE. I found a quote by Boyce from Zoroastrians , 1979: "Zoroastrianism is the oldest of the revealed world-religions, and it has probably had more influence on mankind, directly and indirectly, than any other single faith." Zoroastrianism was the dominant world religion during the Persian empires (559 BCE to 651 CE), and was thus the most powerful world religion at the time of Jesus.

The tricky thing with Isis worship is that it takes so many forms at different points in its span. Most of what we think of as Isis worship is actually derived from the Isis/Osiris mystery cults of Imperial Rome which definitely post-date Zoroastrianism. Depending on the period of the primary text in question, Isis ranges from being a relatively minor deity to one of the pivotal figures of the pantheon... In the same way that Ptah goes form being the supreme being to a sort of distant figure who has little to do with mortals. As a rigid theocracy, ancient Egypt has a very convoluted relationship to its own mythology; after all, there's a God sitting on the throne. Tricky tricky tricky... and lots of contradictory scholarship.

Actually I don't think your question is off topic. This is an especially neglected chunk of spiritual history that had an enormous impact on every occult tradition running. Ever since Levi, people have always eagerly linked Egypt and Tarot, presumably because the locale is exotic and glamorous and still familiar in some ways because of its appearances in Western Lit, but outside of universal archetypes, there is virtually nothing of the Egyptian traditions in Tarot's images or structure. That is not to take away from anyone who finds resonance IN the Egyptian culture, but rather a reminder that the ancient world was wide and rich. Many of the spiritual ideas embedded within Tarot (and the Judeo-Christian-Islamic traditions) are demonstrably, unquestionably Zoroastrian derived. I'm not even going to get into the Babylonian impact on astronomy/astrology. Europe's distinct idea of a magician could be said to emerge from Zoroaster and the Persian tradition of the Magi. Small wonder... Christianity started as a Roman mystery cult, competing with Mithraism and Isis/Osiris (and Orphic and Cybele and Dionysos) worship for initiates. All of them left fingerprints.

And as to Christianity as an offshoot of Mithraism, I found a terrific snippet at avesta.org that's worth a read: "Christianity (n.b. and Tarot!) adopted these doctrines from Zoroastrianism: baptism, communion,... guardian angels, the heavenly journey of the soul, worship on Sunday, the celebration of Mithras' birthday on December 25th, celibate priests that mediate between man and God, the Trinity, Zvarnah - the idea that emanations from the sun are collected in the head and radiate in the form of nimbus and rays(i.e. halos)... The center of the Mithric cult was in Tarsus in Cilicia, Southeast Turkey. This is whence Paul, the founder of the Christian church, came from as a young man. Paul's insight on the road to Damascus was that instead of treating Jesus as a false savior, he could be identified as the true savior if combined with the new idea of "the second coming". That would cure the embarrassing fact that nothing had come of Jesus' time on earth. The rest was simple, Paul identified Jesus with Mithras and taught a modified Mithraism. That got Paul branded as a heretic by the true church and James the brother of Jesus. Eventually it cost Paul his life. However, the Mithraic ideas were so generally attractive that they eventually won out."

Then back to your initial question: I think it is Levi who starts the ball rolling on magicking the Magician, but I think the Golden Dawn is responsible for actually re-identifying the Bataleur as the Magician, removing the sense of jugglers and mountebanks, introducing the sense of skill that goes beyond duplicity and mastery of the natural and supernatural. Anybody want to pitch in with GD or Levi references? I have the Dummet and Decker on the way... but not on hand yet.

Juicy stuff...

Scion

Parzival

Who Historically Put Magic In The Magician?

Great question. The Marseilles "Le Bateleur" is a Magician who holds up his wand in his left hand, as if to empower it from above. His hat curls up in its center, like a red hill, with dark green wings on either side --- a Flame of Spirit (white above red) reaching out of matter. So the Magician seems to begin historically here, standing between earth and heaven. (The Visconti Sforza image does not as clearly picture Man the Microcosm to me, but the red flame atop hat does point to the Above, while the green lawn spreads out below the figure's feet. His right hand seems to be over a cloudy mound on the table, a "white dish" suggesting a creation mound. Man as prestidigitator and co-creator? No name or number here.)
End of observational speculations. Oswald Wirth, in Tarot of the Magicians, refers to Court de Gebelin, volume VIII, Monde Primitif, as thinking that the choice of the "Bateleur' is "essentially a philosophical one." Wirth immediately adds a question:"The visible Universe being but magic and marvel, would not his Creator be the illusionist par excellance, the great conjuror who dazzles us with his conjuring?" I'm not sure if this question goes back to Court de Gebelin or if it is entirely Wirth's. Warrants research.

wandking

If the quote belongs to De Gebelin, it would certainly show the Magician as potent symbol prior to Levi.

BTW, Scion, I was off topic... I see the roots of Christian resurrection and trinity in the Isis, Osiris and Horus combination but I don't share De Gebelins' romanicized and unsupported view that Tarot emerged in Egypt.

To get back on topic, It is either high magic or a good illusion that allows the Marseille Magicians' table to stand on only 3 legs... That table and the devices on it appears to be an almost universal symbol on the card.

wandking

how would a member of the de Estes court or a peasant of that time view a magician? I don't mean the card image.