Sabian Symbols: Finding Elsie Wheeler

Elven

Hi All,

I thought I would post this thread to get some help on this intruiging question:

Where was Elsie Wheeler Born?

Who is Elsie Wheeler?
Elsie Wheeler was the 'extraordinary' clairvoyant who in 1925 (with Marc Edmond Jones) 'manifested' the 360 Symbols whilst sitting in Balboa Park San Diego. The Symbols were randomly assigned to each degree, by Wheeler, who would describe a scene and Jones would write it on a card. Neither knew which card was assigned to what Symbol or degree as Jones would shuffle the cards and the Symbol would be written on the back, the degree was on the front.
(More information on this can be found in the book 360 Degrees of Wisdom by Lynda Hill.)

After a recent discussion with Lynda, the topic of where Elsie Wheeler was Born, came up. There is very little data about her to be found, as records and information during the late 1800's and 1900's have been difficult to source. But to be able to examine her chart, a birthdate would certainly help! :)

So, this is what this thread is about - Finding the Birth place and the Birth date of Elsie Wheeler.

Besides looking up records from every county in the United States (LOL), I thought it might be a good idea for anyone who is interested, to use a form of divination - any kind you think will help or point to some meanigful sign - which might give a clue as to where to start this search.

So if you have any ideas or flashes of insight or inspiration, please post them here, and lets see if we can track down the information thats needed.

I will post some findings (divinitary) after this thread.

The search is on, please feel welcome to join us even if your not a 'Symboler', your input is greatly appreciated!!! :)

Many Blessings
Elven x

Lynda

Elven said:
Hi All,

I thought I would post this thread to get some help on this intruiging question:

Where was Elsie Wheeler Born?

Who is Elsie Wheeler?
Elsie Wheeler was the 'extraordinary' clairvoyant who in 1925 (with Marc Edmond Jones) 'manifested' the 360 Symbols whilst sitting in Balboa Park San Diego. The Symbols were randomly assigned to each degree, by Wheeler, who would describe a scene and Jones would write it on a card. Neither knew which card was assigned to what Symbol or degree as Jones would shuffle the cards and the Symbol would be written on the back, the degree was on the front.
(More information on this can be found in the book 360 Degrees of Wisdom by Lynda Hill.)

After a recent discussion with Lynda, the topic of where Elsie Wheeler was Born, came up. There is very little data about her to be found, as records and information during the late 1800's and 1900's have been difficult to source. But to be able to examine her chart, a birthdate would certainly help! :)

So, this is what this thread is about - Finding the Birth place and the Birth date of Elsie Wheeler.

Besides looking up records from every county in the United States (LOL), I thought it might be a good idea for anyone who is interested, to use a form of divination - any kind you think will help or point to some meanigful sign - which might give a clue as to where to start this search.

So if you have any ideas or flashes of insight or inspiration, please post them here, and lets see if we can track down the information thats needed.

I will post some findings (divinitary) after this thread.

The search is on, please feel welcome to join us even if your not a 'Symboler', your input is greatly appreciated!!! :)

Many Blessings
Elven x

Hi Elven

Thanks so much for putting this out there, any information we can find would be amazing and, at this point, surrendipitous for sure :)

I think I should clarify - we have Elsie's date, time and place of birth... it's Norris City, Illinois on September 3 1887 at 9.40pm - which gives her a Taurus 28 Rising (my Moon degree, coincidentally, my Sun is at Scorpio 28 and sits smack on her descendant).

We know that from Marc Edmund Jones' 1953 book The Sabian Symbols in Astrology. However, there is no record of her birth in Norris City - emailed the records dept there and they had no record of any Elsie Wheeler being born on that date. Norris City appears to be a rather small town. This makes me wonder if she might have been adopted, i.e., that "Wheeler" was not her birth name. It IS curious that her name was Elsie Wheeler and that she was confined to a wheelchair her entire life (apparently from the age of 3). She was crippled with arthritis from a very young age which leads me to wonder if she wasn't adopted out.

I know from census records that she was in the Bethesda Hospital and Home for the Incurables from at least 1900 to 1920 as she was listed in the 1900, 1910 and 1920 census as being there. I love it that she was listed as being a 'spiritualist medium' in the 1920 census. Here she was, in a hospital for 'the incurable', and being a spiritualist medium. Quite something!

It's intriguing to note that Elsie was a Virgo and her Sun degree Symbol is Virgo 12: A Bride With Her Veil Snatched Away - she is so hard to find, so 'veiled', she never married nor had children. Seems her veil is very much in place!

Hope this clarifies. Perhaps serendipity would like us to find out more about Elsie!!

Greetings from DownUnder
Lynda

Elven

Hi All :)

To try and get some information on Elsie Wheeler, I decided to use the Pendulum and a World Map to start with.

The first map I used was one which had no borders marked or names of places assigned to it - I found this a little easier to use as its less distracting, it is basically just shapes on a page. Unfortunatley its no that large though.

The question I asked was:
Show me the exact location of the birthplace of Elsie Wheeler?

The pendulum would not retreat from a place on the map - although broad in range - over a spot which, as far as I could make out on the small map, which covered the area of:
Florida
Georgia
Alabama
North Carolina
Tennessee

I scouted around the internet and found a map with all the States and Countys of the USA so I could take a closer look.

After dousing the pendulum again - it went to an area in Georgia and circled quite a small section which was:
Jackson
Oglethorpe
Madison
Barrow

The pendulum also swung quite radically over Georgia in a horizontal swing from Troup to Scroven ( I hope thats how its spelt), but Im not sure what that means unless it was picking out the State at the time.

So now I will get a larger map of the States that the pendulum picked up on and do the same again. This is where I am up to so far with the pendulum.

I asked the Sabian Symbols to give me the closest clue as to her birth location as well and pulled this great Symbol:
Sagitarius 4 - A liitle child learning to walk with the encouragement of parents.

I found this a bit of a WOW, as Elsie Wheeler was in a wheelchair due (I think) to her arthritic condition and couldnt walk. But to have her parents brought into the picture made me wonder a few things:

Possibly to find the location of her parents or their Birth/Death certificates.
To search through hospital or county medical records or places which would have dealt with a child with an illness.
Was there a school or some type of rehabilitation place which her parents took her to which was helping her.

Other sections of the Symbol also stood out, some relevant to Elsie Wheeler, but some I think also relevant to the searching for the information:
'Little Child'
'Encouragement'
'Elders'
'Parents'
'Patience and step-by-step progress'
'Adopting'
'Persistance'
'Learning'
'Independence'
'Outer circumstances'
'Determination'
'Help from authorities'
'Seeking guidance and advice'

The Caution was - 'Relying on skills that are not yet mastered' - maybe I need to refine my approach to get the location exact with the pendulum? i will try a few other methods as well.

So this is the first steps I have taken with looking into this search. As I progress I will post up some more.

Please feel free to feedback on this if you have any ideas. Would love to hear them. Please add your own discoveries too!!

Many Blessings
Elven x

Elven

Hi Lynda, :)

LOL, After reading your post, I realised what I had stated about the pendulum at the bottom of the post in 'the Caution' was very apt!!! :) (Elven looks for crack in the earth to swallow her up).

But the Symbol draw was relevant I think - hang on I'll just go and check!! (crawls out of crack in earth).

Mybe there is something still to search, or maybe her parents were born in Georgia or around there? Maybe thats what the Symbol was saying? (Clutching straws Elven runs off)

That was the shortest search in history for someones birthdate and place Ive ever done - just look at the next post down! LOL :)

Although, there maybe some more history to be found which could lead to
knowing if she was adopted or not and the circumstances surrounding her early years, maybe. (Elven is now burried under a mountain of straws)

Just going to fling my pendulum off a cliff (just joking).

Well, that ends that search!!! LOL:)

Many blessings
Elven x :)

Pipistrelle

Elven, I don't think you need all those straws ;)

I didn't realise this thread existed until you mentioned it but I think it's fascinating. From what Lynda said, it does sound as if the early years of Elsie Wheeler's life are shrouded in mystery - I agree on the "coincidence" of the name Wheeler. In days of yore ;) given names could be very literal. That, along with no record of her birth in Norris City (city = rather small town???!) there is a likelihood of adoption.

I found your "investigation" with the pendulum fascinating (having had no experience of pendulum use except the rare occasions when I've watched Charmed ;)). It seemed determined to draw your attention to a certain area. Plus, the symbol that you drew was uncannily pertinent to Elsie - in a literal sense - and I'm sure that it has more to yield the deeper you study it.

With initial results as promising as these, I feel like encouraging you to continue investigating. Okay, so maybe her birth place and date/time are known (or are they?) but there are a lot of other things that are unknown and who knows what there is to uncover? It reminds me of my own "explorations" - you may start out with a particular destination in mind, but wind up somewhere totally unexpected. We search for buried gold and instead find the skeleton of a tyrannosaurus rex. What will your investigation yield? Who knows? Maybe something, maybe nothing. What use is there in investigating the life of someone dead and long gone? Well, something drew you to want to know more about Elsie. "Something" drew each of us to the symbols and the mysteries they represent. More and more recently I am reminded "there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophy". If we do not seek, we cannot find.

Er....sorry about that, I went into rousing speech mode a bit there didn't I? I don't know, I read your thread and I just found it fascinating and it seemed a shame to give up on it. Maybe I'll give it a try too with the symbols or tarot and see if there's any more light to be shed on it.

Don'tcha just feel sometimes like we're being invisibly guided towards things? I'm feeling that a lot lately.

Pip

zorya

Lynda said:
It's intriguing to note that Elsie was a Virgo and her Sun degree Symbol is Virgo 12: A Bride With Her Veil Snatched Away - she is so hard to find, so 'veiled', she never married nor had children. Seems her veil is very much in place!
i had assumed the veil being snatched away, refered to her ability to see beyond 'the veil'. the veil being what separates this world from the spirit world.

Lynda

Dear Zorya,

Well, yes, that's very true - the veil is very much that... I was merely talking about how hard it is to find out things about her life, not about her amazing powers as a spiritualist medium.

She has many 'veils'... I found it interesting that her Virgo 12 Sun degree had progressed to Capricorn 7 - A Veiled Prophet Speaks Seized By the Power of a God during the time I signed the contracts with Penguin USA and Sony Japan for the publishing of the Sabian Oracle. During this time I was trying intensively to find out information about her, but to no avail (slight pun there! :) )

Also, taking her Draconic Sun - an interesting technique that is said to map the soul's contract that was made before birth - we see another 'veil'... her Draconic Sun is at Aries 23: A Woman in Pastel Colors, Carrying a Heavy and Valuable but Veiled Load.

She sure has lots of veils. Perhaps she doesn't want to be 'found'... not sure. Certainly, she never married so has no in-laws and no children... being 'The Bride With the Veil Snatched Away'... she lived with extreme pain for her entire life and before she died she spoke of how she'd 'had enough suffering'. Even with the pain of arthritis and her inability to hold her head or her hands, she still brought joy and love to the world through her work in San Diego with handicapped people. She would always tell them "no matter how hard it gets, there is always something to live for".

Here's a neat quote from The Gospel According to Philip by James M. Robinson...

"If anyone becomes a child of the bridal chamber, he will receive the Light. If anyone does not receive it while he is there, he will not be able to receive it in the other place. He who will receive that Light will not be seen, nor can he be detained. And none shall be able to torment a person like this, even while he dwells in the world. And again when he leaves the world, he has already received the truth in the images. The world has become the Aeon (eternal realm), for the Aeon is fullness for him. This is the way it is; it is revealed to him alone, not hidden in the darkness and the night, but hidden in a perfect day and a holy Light".

"Received the truth in the images" is interesting.... she sure did, with her amazing Sabian Symbols...

Greetings from a beautiful winter day in Avalon
Sydney
Australia

MCsea

my 2 cents

Ok so I have been meditating if thats the word on this too
and Wheeler to me is a very gypsy name - and symbol!

I get the feeling the details in Marc Edmund Jones book are 'recalculated'
on purpose.. re-located it for some reason, keeping it 'accurate' time and astrology of course in all ways.. BUT then again... they may have used this technique of the pendulum and some astrology techniques to obtain the exact date of birth.. reconstructing it.. if records were not kept you know.. even these days people dont know their time of birth at times..

I did find something about a Constance E Wheeler born - September 1887 not sure where now.. anyway..

Yes I DO think this is the way TO FIND OUT, when I asked HOW we would know the symbol was the message at the new moon...

fingers crossed we can know MORE

Marina

MCsea

Photo

Is there a photo of Elsie? I looked but cant find one..

Marina

Lynda

Hi Marina
I was struck by your words about Elsie's birthplace and birthchart and think you could be right... in fact, I had the exact same thought just hours before I read your post!!

And no, unfortunately, I've not been able to find a photo of Elsie. This is what I really want to find... her Sun degree is Virgo 12: A Bride With Her Veil Snatched Away - she never married (as I mentioned elsewhere on this Forum, nor had children) and her 'veil' is still firmly in place.

I so want to see what she looked like...

Greetings from Avalon, Sydney, Australia
Lynda