Night Sun - The Fool

conurelover

The symbols at the top of this card are Water and Aleph.

Aleph is the beginning. The Fool wears a wooden mas. In his right hand is a small dark egg. He is like the traditional image of the Fool in that he carries a sac at the end of the staff and a dog nips at his legs.

This Fool wears a jester's cap. His neck is adorned with types of arrows darting out in every direction.

He is just starting out, unsure, carefree, and with out much direction.

Achlys

I see the arrows as indicating that everything starts from the Fool and many directions are possible in this journey.
The wooden mask to me symbolizes the blind beginning of the Fool's journey. There may be danger, symbolized by the dog at his heels, but he is armed with tools to help him face these threats.
To me, I don't see the Fool being carefree as much as I see a sense of need. The Fool needs to start his journey. You can see impulsiveness in his decision.

Tanga

Those black arrows-in-a-circle are the symbol for Chaos Magic. ("postmodern magical tradition" where the central tenant is that belief itself is a tool - and therefore, any paradigm can work provided you believe in it. Infinite diversity of ideas in infinite combinations - all are valid. The Chaos magician uses a paradigm, then sets it aside and tries a different one next time.). Alluding to infinite possibilities available to The Fool on his outward journey...
I smile at the loincloth :) - infinite possibilities that he can engender on his outward journey.
Lol.

His dog looks to me like he's begging for attention (that whole idea of "pay attention to detail" that's attached to The Fool) - but he's not noticed. He's dreaming away - maybe with only half his attention on the magical egg in his right hand. What is that? - a half conjured up spell? (impulsive creation?).

Nemia

Why water? The Night Sun confuses me in many ways, and this is one of them. I have never seen the Fool attributed with another element than air. What am I missing?

jpdj0210

Why water? The Night Sun confuses me in many ways, and this is one of them. I have never seen the Fool attributed with another element than air. What am I missing?

I was also confused by this, until I saw that the symbol in the left corner is that of air. I had a hunch that Lo Scarabeo had made a typo in the booklet. I emailed Fabio Listrani, and yes, it is a mistake. The art shows the Fool is air. The book says water and it is wrong. He apologized and said his English is very bad, but I think it might actually just be an error on the side of Lo Scarabeo.
So not to worry, The Fool is still Air, The Hanged Man is water, and Judgement is Fire.

Tanga

I was also confused by this, until I saw that the symbol in the left corner is that of air. I had a hunch that Lo Scarabeo had made a typo in the booklet. I emailed Fabio Listrani, and yes, it is a mistake...

Yes. I figured it was a typo - as the symbol on the card is Air.
Thanks for your input jpdj0210.

Egg in hand = Akasha?
1) The 5th element "Infinite Space, sky and/or sound" in Sanskrit. The 1st element in creation.
2) "Ethereal compendium of all knowledge" as in Akashic Records of Theosophy.
Or 3) (and I like this one as I'm Pagan) "Sprit" - the 5th element that Earth, Air, Fire and Water descend from - as defined by Scott Cunningham (celebrity Wiccan - no deceased).

Expounding on the myriad possibilities of The Fools journey.