Correspondence courses?

Lee

Thanks Astraea, I'm going to e-mail him.

Do you (or does anyone) have any knowledge of the Canopus Academy? Their program, like Mulligan's, is four years, but is a bit cheaper (In U.S. $, Mulligan's is $2700; Canopus is $2250 [$1920 if you buy it in two-year increments]).

-- Lee

Astraea

Hi, Lee -- I do not personally know anything about the Canopus Academy, but Linda Reid is another well-respected astrologer. I doubt you could go far wrong there.

Minderwiz

I've come across Canopus several times in my studies and the work of Linda Reid in particular - as Astraea says you can't really go wrong with it.

Minderwiz

Just an afterthought

What do you intend to do with your qualification? I took mine solely to support a hobby with no intention of using it in a professional capacity - and I still don't envisage being more than a part time astrologer in my retirement.

Some of the courses on offer are aimed at giving professional status - great if that is the direction you intend to go in. However, like Canopus, many also give basic courses for those interested in learning more - these are usually quite a bit cheaper overall.

If you are not seeking professional status it may well be that you can choose between a much wider range of providers and you don't necessarily need the big names at the 'top' (though many good Astrologers do provide low priced introductory courses).

Lee

Hi Minderwiz, good question! :)

I don't have a specific goal of being a professional astrologer. The idea is appealing, but I have a job which takes up much of my time, and therefore I couldn't think of being an astrologer on a full-time basis. However, I could envision myself doing it on a part-time basis, on weekends and/or offering services on the internet. Realistically, though, I don't know how many clients I would get this way, since I don't really have the time to do the kind of marketing of oneself I would imagine would be necessary. So I guess I would have to say my goals aren't professional, although I'm not ruling that out as an option for the future. I'd be perfectly happy to remain on an amateur basis if that's what works out.

My real goal is to learn. I've found that astrology is a field where, I think, it really is helpful to follow a particular course of study. I'm sure there are lots of people who can learn from books only, but I'm starting to think I'm not one of them. In my experience with Tarot, I've found myself drifting from one approach to another, from one book to another, from one deck to another, never really sticking with one long enough to learn anything. Partly I think this is due to the nature of Tarot, where there is much less of a specific tradition to follow or a body of knowledge to learn. In Western Astrology there's many different varieties of approach but I think most of these approaches (perhaps with the exception of the Uranian stuff) have the basics in common, unlike Tarot where there really isn't this kind of tradition, everybody pretty much goes their own way. Nevertheless, if I had found a way to stick with one approach and one deck for a few years, I would probably be much farther along with the Tarot than I am now.

With Astrology, I find myself starting to do the same thing. Even beginning basic books have some differences in how they define meanings, and I find myself starting to wonder whether I should use this definition or that one, and I get so bogged down in this that I don't progress much. I think for the sake of learning, and also to challenge myself to get beyond this trait (perhaps my Sun in Libra has something to do with it :)), I need to have a particular author/school who I can stick with. I want to sit down with one teacher/approach and have them take me through the whole thing, even if it takes me years! I don't want to have to decide between different approaches, at least while I'm learning. After I'm done with that, I can certainly investigate other authors/approaches, but at least I will have managed to finally absorb something instead of just waffling around.

The reason I'm looking at professional-type courses is that I want to learn something in-depth. Maybe this is only an ego thing, but even if it ends up only being a hobby, I want to be able to say to myself and to others that I've spent a considerable amount of time and energy to learn something and I've succeeded in at least internalizing the basics (expertise, I would imagine, comes only with experience in dealing with many people and their charts). An introductory-type course would probably give me more superficial knowledge I could get for myself from books; but I want something more than that.

I'm in a rather fortunate position; although I have a heavy work schedule, I also have complete freedom in my free time. I don't have children, I have a lover who likes the idea of my studying astrology, and I'm not in a social environment which would inhibit me. I feel like I'd like to use these opportunities and really learn something in-depth. I feel like I have an unused potential, and I'd like to follow it and see how far it takes me. If I reach the point of being able to counsel others, or to teach others, so much the better; but if not, at least I will have made an effort.

And besides, to follow a particular course for two to four years sounds like a great deal of fun! Not that it won't be difficult, but I think it could be really enjoyable to challenge myself mentally a little.

I'm not used to talking so much about myself! :)

Right now I'm leaning away from the Mulligan course. While it looks attractive, he doesn't provide much info on what the course entails or his style of teaching, nor does he provide any student testimonials. I'm looking more now at either the Carole Devine course or the Canopus course (www.panplanet.com). Devine goes into detail on her site about what the course covers, and provides lots of student testimonials. Canopus does the same, and at Canopus they really seem very much oriented toward serving the students, which is appealing.

By the way, I found some good answers to some of the philophical objections I had raised in the other thread, in a book called "Astrology in the Year Zero." It's a great book which I'd recommend to anyone, it really covers a lot of ground about different aspects of the current astrological scene, particularly in the UK.

-- Lee

Astraea

Reasons for studying a course

Lee, you make very good points about the differences between astrology and tarot, and why you wish to take up a course of study in astrology.

My personal view is that, in the beginning, it is important to find one approach to astrology, and stay with it; from that foundation of basics, you can go anywhere. Without the foundation, there tends to be a trudging in circles.

Another good reason to take a course is to be sure that you understand the mathematical procedures for setting up charts. While computer programs perform those functions easily nowadays, unless we humans have the understanding of how to get from Point A to Point B in calculating charts, we can't spot errors in computer printouts. Most courses of study include chart calculation, which is not an easy thing to learn on one's own.

You might or might not become a professional astrologer, but a solid course of study will stand you in good stead and I know you won't regret having undertaken it. As Minderwiz says, you can find some excellent courses that do not necessarily lead to a diploma, yet are thorough and not terribly expensive; and some courses have graded levels which a student can matriculate at his or her own pace, culminating (if one wishes) in a diploma.

This period of your life sounds like an open window of opportunity for you, and I wish you all the best in your decision and your studies. I think Carole Devine would be an excellent choice of instructor, as would those associated with Canopus. I hope that you hear from Robert Blaschke, as well, to round out the field. Keep us posted!

Lee

Astraea, you're not going to believe this. Just today, a new website for Robert Blaschke has appeared on the internet! I know this just happened today, because I searched yesterday and found nothing.

http://www.earthwalkastrology.com/corrcourse.htm

I haven't even read it yet, I just had to come here and tell you first! :D

Now I'll go read it. I also just sent an e-mail to Bob Mulligan, asking him for more info on his course.

-- Lee

Astraea

How wonderful!

Lee, how synchronous, serendipitous, stupendous! Thank you so much for letting me know! Yes, I checked yesterday, too, and couldn't find a site for Robert Blaschke -- and it appears from the link you posted that he does have a correspondence course! This is getting very interesting, indeed. I'm going to follow the link right now, and thank you so much for posting it.

Lee

Oops, I think his course is not for me. It's Christ-centered, and I'm not Christian, so I guess that counts me out! :D

Also, I think it's not for beginners.

Oh, well! :)

-- Lee

Astraea

Curriculum

Lee, that looks like a very comprehensive course, and one that is simultaneously spiritually-oriented, practical and professional. I feel confident that Robert Blaschke's students will receive close personal instruction and guidance, because he is a genuinely dedicated, knowledgeable astrologer and decent man. Oh, what exciting options you have before you!

Edited to say: Lee, you and I were posting at the same time -- please see the next post for appropriate feedback.