Tarot Book Club?

Madrigal

I'd be interested in participating in this depending on the book. My interest would be Tarot non-fiction books. I'm part of a very successful book club on another forum that is run a little differently. Everyone is reading something different, of their own choosing and they post through the week about what they like or don't like, other things the author has done and so forth.

It's probably too chatty for what you have in mind, Shade, but it's been going for years now so the form is obviously a feasible one. I think what keeps it going is that it has a definite 'leader', someone who starts the new thread each week, compiles resources and draws us all in with various questions, mini-themes and the like. The leader has been the same person for several years. She enjoys this and puts time and effort into it.

This format might be too formal for what you want but some structure with a check-point person in place would probably go a ways towards keeping the thread afloat.

Shade

I've never heard of a book club with multiple books but it sounds intriguing. So it's like each person is giving a book report on a new book each month?

tarotbear

Wait - got it. We did Anna Karenina.

Anna Karenina is a Tarot book? :confused:

I once read Tarot at a Book Club's Halloween party - they had read Pride & Prejudice and Zombies.

Did Jane Austen actually write 'Pride & Prejudice & Zombies'? :joke:

Read my books! I need the sales! :bugeyed: LOL! :p

kalliope

Madrigal, I'd be interested in hearing more details about how your other group works, too. I like the idea that the format could give enough flexibility to participants that it fosters longevity for the whole endeavor.

Is your other group also about non-fiction? Is there a broad topic or common ground of book content that glues you all together, even though you're reading different books? What kinds of things are the "mini-themes" for each week? Can you give an example of the sort of questions the leader may ask to spark conversation?

It seems like people would be energized to talk about whatever book strikes their fancy at the time, but we'd all have tarot in common, and could contrast and compare. And I'm sure there would be some overlap in book choice sometimes, or discussion about a particular book might inspire others to read it so they could add their thoughts, without any worry that they were "falling behind" in the book club schedule.

staticfuzz

Madrigal, I'd be interested in hearing more details about how your other group works, too. I like the idea that the format could give enough flexibility to participants that it fosters longevity for the whole endeavor.

Is your other group also about non-fiction? Is there a broad topic or common ground of book content that glues you all together, even though you're reading different books? What kinds of things are the "mini-themes" for each week? Can you give an example of the sort of questions the leader may ask to spark conversation?

It seems like people would be energized to talk about whatever book strikes their fancy at the time, but we'd all have tarot in common, and could contrast and compare. And I'm sure there would be some overlap in book choice sometimes, or discussion about a particular book might inspire others to read it so they could add their thoughts, without any worry that they were "falling behind" in the book club schedule.

Well you weren't asking me ;) but I've had experience with that type of book club too. In my experiences, yes there is a theme; it might be "Eastern European Literature" or "The Victorian Era," and then people can read any book--nonfiction about the Victorian era or fiction written in the Victorian era, or a contemporary book that takes place in the Victorian era, or a contemporary book that is influenced by the Victorian style, or a biography on Charles Dickens, and so on. Someone might ask a question about purity or childhood or Charles Darwin or the Reform Acts; are they reflected in the particular books anyone is reading? Stuff like that.

It can be a really cool format. I think for a tarot book club I would prefer that we all read the same book since it would actually motivate me to do so... but of course I want it to work for everyone involved!

Shade

I could post a poll - or perhaps just get a sense in this thread informally? I was thinking about starting things up in April. If we did kick off then how many people would:

Want to choose one book (Holistic Tarot, Marseille Tarot: Towards The Art of Reading, or Tarot: Beyond the basics, etc), commit to reading it during the month of April and report in during and at the end of the month?

Want to choose their own book but on a theme - in this case the theme might be "Book intended to improve your reading skills."

My vote: I would most want to read a single book but if we can't get at least five people to be on board with reading it I would be happy to switch to the second method.

Madrigal

The members of the group read whatever they like individually--fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama, short story collections. And they post along the way their impressions, questions, comments, and any links they find or other randomness and OT stuff.

There is usually a monthly theme on a particular author which is optional. Depending on the author sometimes a lot of us get on board and sometimes just a few. There are also whimsical mini-challenges each week (pick a book just for its cover, pick a book with the word __ in the title, pick a book by an author you've not read etc) as well as seasonal challenges. And there are several year-long themes going on like geographical challenges to read books from as many different countries around the world, or read through the alphabet title-wise. And one main large tome that is broken down by chapters over the course of the year.

What keeps it all going is having a main leader. It's very fun to hear about what other folks are reading, their impressions, comments and various wandering trains of thought. The main theme is really just to keep reading but even if you fall into a reading rut comments about that are welcome and encouragement and commiseration is generally forthcoming. So there is no 'falling behind' at all. I will warn you though your reading list will grow like a Tarot wishlist.

gregory

I shall be interested to watch how that pans out. We tried it once, with a theme for the month (As I recall, it was Italy.) It didn't work very well for us, and we are all mad keen readers. Everyone just wanted more info about whatever than there was time for one person to give, and several of us then "had to" read each others books, which made reading the next month's stuff very tough..

kalliope

Thanks, Madrigal and staticfuzz, for the info and ideas. Madrigal, that group sounds really fun! But I think it might be a little too loose for what we'd be going for here. Your point about the enthusiastic leader is definitely something to note, though, as maybe leaders act as glue to keep groups together in the long run.

If we went in that direction, something slightly more focused like what staticfuzz describes might work better. Something with a topic, and with themes of discussion that could spark conversation.

But I think I agree with Shade & staticfuzz that picking one book might be best. Or we could try a compromise, something like two or three books that are running simultaneously (Maybe the books you mentioned, Shade?) That way people could have some flexibility, but there would also be enough of common ground and motivation for people to dig in and participate while specific books are being discussed. Compare & contrasting ideas between a couple of books might be interesting, too, over time.

I'm currently reading the Elias Marseille book, and Holistic Tarot is next, so I'd vote for either of those, or for a limited-multiple-book club option.

Shade

I wonder if rather than two books in tandem we just announce what the next book will be. At the moment Holistic Tarot has a slight edge over Marseille but perhaps we do Holistic in May and Marseille in June.

I'm happy to be a motivating force and can post thoughts and questions - how ever we need a few more to sign on if this is going to work so if you were thinking about joining in be certain to hit up the poll thread.