Cartomancy

pinkmamabear

Hi Again,
Has Anyone tried using a regular deck of playing cards?

Kaz

yes i have
read a spread in studygroupforum about celtic cross, i did one for somebody and posted it there.

kaz

Umbrae

Many times.
I love using regular playing cards.
They are great for folks who associate Tarot and witchcraft and still want a reading.
It takes some getting used to, but they are quite brutal (no subtlety).

pinkmamabear

They are a bit more blah, graphically; but I did get a better response from some people who did feel that tarot is witchcraft. Well, they started calling me BRUJA? Which, if ya didn't know, means witch in spanish. I tried to explain what BREW-Ha
meant in english, but I'm not sure they completely understood?:}
pinkmamabear

pinkmamabear

cartomancy definitions-Diamonds

Okay, her's some old English definitions, just in case anybody's interested. Diamonds=Pentacles/Coins, Ect.

DIAMONDS
King.- A man of very fair complexion; quick to anger, but soon appeased.
Queen.- A very fair woman, fond of gaiety, and a coquette.
Knave.- A selfish and deceitful relative ; fair and false.
Ten.- Money. Success in honourable business.
Nine.- A roving disposition, combined with honourable and successful adventure in foreign lands.
Eight.- A happy prudent marriage, though rather late in life.
Seven.- Satire. Scandal. Unpleasant business matters.
Six.- Marriage early in life, succeeded by widowhood.
Five.- Unexpected news, generally of a good kind.
Four.- An unfaithful friend. A secret betrayed.
Trey. -Domestic troubles, quarrels and unhappiness
Deuce.- A clandestine engagement. A card of caution.
Ace.- A wedding ring. An offer of marriage
pinkmamabear

pinkmamabear

Hearts=Cups

HEARTS
King.- A fair, but of very fair, complexioned man good natured, but rather obstinate, and, when angered, not easily appeased.
Queen.- A woman of the same complexion as the king; faithful, prudent, and affectionate.
Knave-. An unselfish relative. A sincere friend.
Ten.- Health and happiness, with many children.
Nine.- Wealth. High position in society. The wish-card.
Eight.- Fine clothes. Pleasure. Mixing in good society. Going to balls, theatres, &c.
Seven.- Many good friends.
Six.- Honorable courtship.
Five.- A present.
Four.- Domestic troubles caused by jealousy.
Trey.- Poverty, shame and sorrow, caused by imprudence. A card of caution.
Deuce. -Success in life, position in society, and a happy marriage, attained by virtuous discretion.
Ace.- The house of the person consulting the decrees of fate
pmb

pinkmamabear

cartomancy cont.-spades and clubs

SPADES
King.- A man of very dark complexion, ambitious and unscrupulous.
Queen.- A very dark complexioned woman, of malicious disposition. A widow.
Knave.- A lawyer. A person to be shunned.
Ten-. Disgrace; crime; imprisonment. Death on the scaffold. A card of caution.
Nine.- Grief; ruin; sickness; death.
Eight. -Great danger from imprudence. A card of caution.
Seven.- Unexpected poverty caused by the death of a relative. A lean sorrow.
Six.- A child. To the unmarried a card of caution.
Five.- Great danger from giving way to bad temper. A card of caution
Four.- Sickness.
Trey.- A journey by land. Tears.
Deuce.- A removal.
Ace.- Death; malice; a duel; a general misfortune

pinkmamabear

cartomancy-clubs

CLUBS
King.- A dark complexioned man, though not so dark as the king of spades; upright, true, and affectionate.
Queen.- A woman of the same complexion, agreeable, genteel, and witty.
Knave.- A sincere, but rather hasty-tempered friend.
Ten. -Unexpected wealth, through the death of a relative. A fat sorrow.
Nine.- Danger caused by drunkenness. A card of caution.
Eight.- Danger from covetousness. A card of caution.
Seven.- A prison. Danger arising from the opposite sex. A card of caution.
Six.- Competence by hard-working industry.
Five.- A happy, though not wealthy marriage.
Four-. Danger of misfortunes caused by inconstancy, or capricious temper. A card of caution.
Trey.- Quarrels. Or in reference to time may signify three years, three months, three weeks, or three days. It also denotes that a person will be married more than once.
Deuce.- Vexation, disappointment.
Ace.- A letter

Umbrae

During my travels, I have discovered nine different sets of "meanings" for regular cards.
I use the corresponding tarot card meanings (after all, it’s just like a tarot deck, except no Major Arcana (or death or devil to freak out the blue-haired ladies), or Pages. Reversals are a tad tougher.
I use an 1865 reproduction deck available from US Games Systems (They look mondo cool, so the folks get into the ‘Magick Mood’ quickly).
Because there are only 52 cards as opposed to 78 (x2 with reversals) a reading relies far more on the intuitive nature of the sitting.
I find them VERY accurate (brutally so, as I already stated) most likely because the pictures do not distract me. I am going right into the meat of the reading with the first flop of the cards.

Zhritza

At this point, if I tried to read playing cards, I know I'd have to stare at each card while the seconds ticked by, thinking, "Okay, this is the Eight of Clubs... that means it's got the same meanings as the Eight of, uh... ummmm....Wands! Right! Whew." Then, several more seconds would tick by while I conjured up the image of the Eight of Wands from one of my more comfy decks, like the Robin Wood, and then tried to put that into the context of the spread. In short, no room for anything intuitive at all. It'd look pretty silly to whomever I'm reading for. I know this because I have to go through the same grinding mental process when I try to read the Marseilles (duck!).

But, after more study, I'd love to give it a shot. The immediacy of it is very attractive. "Yeah, I can read tarot cards... Heck, I can read playing cards, ya got any?"