Ever used regular playing cards?

ShekinahMoon

Abigail said:
There is a witches deck on the market, thats just playing cards, with little pictures drawn in the corner that does just what you were talking about, normal playing cards do as good a reading as tarot if its an intuitive or psychic reading. The witches deck gives a little more to work with than a card playing normal deck.

Are you talking about the Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling deck?

ShekinahMoon

Nocturnal Lure said:
Has anyone here ever used regular playing cards for a reading...?

I am planning to make some notes and work out a system to use regular playing cards in a way that makes up for the "missing cards". Now I was wondering if other peple here have experience in that, I'd like to know what you've learned.

Sure you can use playing cards like the Minor Arcana except there are only three court cards instead of four. Playing cards have their foundation in the Minor Arcana. From what I read today the older Tarot decks in the Minor Arcana did not have pictures on the numbered cards. Just the number and the right number of the symbol. Like a 4 of swords would simply be a picture of four swords and the number four. Looking exactly like our playing cards today. A six of spades simply has six spades and the number six. A nine of hearts card simply has the number nine and nine hearts....no pictures.

Spades = Swords
Clubs = Wands
Hearts = Cups
Diamonds = Disks

Once you know this conversion you can read playing cards the same way you do the Minor Arcana. Heck, without the pictures it might be easier :joke: A deck of playing cards would make learning to read the Minor Arcana easier. Because with out the pictures you are truly testing your ablity to know a card.

Phoenix Rising

I mainly use playing cards these days. My first readings I ever had was with playing cards and were most accurate. One of my best friends was taught by her grandmother, and she's been reading for 25 years.

Cartomancy and Tarot are 2 different systems, and I would feel I was discrediting "playing cards" if I thought I was interpreting the cards the same as Tarot Minors.

There is a debate on whether or not the Tarot came first..my research indicates that Tarot did not come first.
The playing cards are a solar/lunar time book...The gypsies made it popular by using it for fortune telling.

There is another card system on the playing cards that was used for tracking cycles of the planets, you will find it at these links
Oracle Cards
7 Thunders

I find it easier myself to use playing cards, too many images in Tarot, that can be confusing to me..but for others on here, they are most in tune and resonate totally with Tarot.

Not too mention it was easier and cheaper to pick up a pack of playing cards from anywhere and then play card games with it.

blessings PR

ShekinahMoon

Phoenix Rising said:
There is a debate on whether or not the Tarot came first..my research indicates that Tarot did not come first.
The playing cards are a solar/lunar time book...The gypsies made it popular by using it for fortune telling.

What is the oldest deck of playing cards around? I'm curious to compare a date line with Tarot cards and playing cards.

Phoenix Rising

There is apparently a deck stored in a Museum in Egypt made from Marble, said to be 10,000 years old.

One thing with playing cards is that the design rarely changes. The order of the Magi instructed Richmond Olney and he has also told his students that the integrity of the cards, that they should not be de-faced. Cards that have had the faces changed by putting on a celebrity on even the shape like mini or jumbo never sell very well, and that has been since the 1700's...because the original design contains a mystical potency.

Now the cards are a solar/lunar book,
13 cards each suit (13 weeks in a season)13 moon cycles
4 suits (4 seasons, elements of man)
12 face cards (zodiac) although I'm still at crossroads with the zodiac
52 cards (weeks in a year)
Red/black Day/night Yin/yang etc

3 face cards each suit (the trinity)
The suits represent the different stages of life, and the red and black for the feminine/male aspect, so there is no need for a 4th one.

Only one design. tarot there are thousands of designs. But Taroteers please don't shoot me, I used tarot cards and one point too you know, and I know it has it's special mystical qualities...I'm only stating the qualities of our Beloved Playing cards on this "Playing card thread":smoker:

ShekinahMoon

Phoenix Rising said:
Now the cards are a solar/lunar book,
13 cards each suit (13 weeks in a season)13 moon cycles
4 suits (4 seasons, elements of man)
12 face cards (zodiac) although I'm still at crossroads with the zodiac
52 cards (weeks in a year)
Red/black Day/night Yin/yang etc

3 face cards each suit (the trinity)
The suits represent the different stages of life, and the red and black for the feminine/male aspect, so there is no need for a 4th one.

Everything makes sense to me but the 12 face cards to represent the zodiac. You have four female figures and eight male figures. How does that represent the Zodiac? It makes more sense to me for the face cards to relate to the court cards in Tarot.

Black cards are spades and clubs which correspond to air and fire which are both masculine. Red cards are diamonds and hearts which correspond to earth and water which are both feminine. Hmmm, I can see the yin/yang in this.

Phoenix Rising

In some books it traditionally was meant to represent the zodiac, but I have a differing opinion on that..
Where did you get 8 male for the face cards? The Jacks aren't all male. I certainly wouldn't want there to be a dominance of male. People get confused thinking the jacks are male, but 2 female Jacks and 2 male Jacks.

The correspondences are not necessarily the same as tarot, it is a different system remember. Would the pages in the tarot be all male or all female or both? And if Female why are the the babies of the face cards(tarot), the servants? Joan of Arc would surely of been a Knight.

Elements also vary in the playing card system. In some and I am beginning to think that hearts is a Fire element. emotions are a fire element, as in anger, passion, excitement, lust and love. Water being that of spade. Spade is our strongest suit, therefore the strongest element. As Water can put out fire, wear away at Earth and with air it both has oxygen.

Spades is not necessarily typical of a sword suit either, it is the experienced suit, and that of winter and old age.

Clubs - air
diamonds -earth

But there is debate in some circles on the elements, sometimes the suits can be all of them. although my thoughts on this come from the ancient teachings taught to Richmond Olney by the "Order of the Magi" who came out of Atlantis 20,000 years ago.

The Ace of spade is their symbol, representing the hidden and the mysterious, secret knowledge, transformation, death and rebirth. you will notice that in every deck of cards, the Ace of spade has the largest symbol, and company or manufacturers logo on it. Even the modern manufacturers don't know why that is. The deck of cards in the late 1700's was used as revenue and tax stamp duty, and always on the Ace of spade.

There is alot more to our deck of cards than people realise.

Then of course is the astrology aspect, and on Oracle cards the link provided above you will see the link with the planets.

ShekinahMoon

Phoenix Rising said:
In some books it traditionally was meant to represent the zodiac, but I have a differing opinion on that..
Where did you get 8 male for the face cards? The Jacks aren't all male. I certainly wouldn't want there to be a dominance of male. People get confused thinking the jacks are male, but 2 female Jacks and 2 male Jacks.

I've never seen female jacks in a deck of cards. What two jacks do you think are female?

The correspondences are not necessarily the same as tarot, it is a different system remember. Would the pages in the tarot be all male or all female or both? And if Female why are the the babies of the face cards(tarot), the servants? Joan of Arc would surely of been a Knight.

I do know that the Pages and Knights can be either gender. Or the same gender as in the RW deck. Maybe that is why in playing cards there is no fourth court card since pages and knights are both male. Maybe they were combinded?

Elements also vary in the playing card system. In some and I am beginning to think that hearts is a Fire element. emotions are a fire element, as in anger, passion, excitement, lust and love. Water being that of spade. Spade is our strongest suit, therefore the strongest element. As Water can put out fire, wear away at Earth and with air it both has oxygen.

Spades is not necessarily typical of a sword suit either, it is the experienced suit, and that of winter and old age.

Hearts as fire. Hearts cards are also red. I can see that. But Spades as water I just don't see.

Phoenix Rising

Hi Shekinah

Yes I can understand now why you thought that all Jacks were males. The black /Red is the duality thing. It just would of been harder to distinguish which suit they would of given the female jacks too or vice versa.

I found it hard at first to think that hearts should of been water, only because we've been taught to all these years. But all the suits can be all the elements, that's why I and some others don't like to give them a element.
I can see cups in tarot being a water, because of the Cups that hold the liquids.

Abigail

re Shekinahmoon

ShekinahMoon I would have to double check what the deck was called that doesn’t sound right, it was one of those decks that came to me purely to move on to some one else.
One other thing with playing cards, in i think it was the 70s *eek showing age* there was a song *the deck of cards* Its worth a quick read through the lyrics gives some good little points to think about, and general knowledge of all aspects of numbers views and opinions can add to any reading. Readings become stories of peoples lives and anything that inspires us to think is good. The only reason I mention it was when i was reading playing cards years ago, the song just kept going through my mind till i went and looked it up for what i was missing.
http://www.eakles.com/84deck.htm